Original cornicing

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29624

Just had a house reskim confirm in one of the rooms is really nice original cornicing but the ceiling is cracked a fair bit, told the woman really need to board it so would have to take the cornicing down when she ring me asked if there's anyway we can keep it. So couple of questions: if I fully bedded it with mesh do you think that would stop cracks. If not I could board and steal a few profiles of the cornice but would I be at risk of getting a crack around the perimeter where I skimmed past the edge of the board into the cornice. Or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Yeah I've read that before and didn't like the idea as couldn't picture it photos would be good

Keep the boards as tight to the cornice as you can, any gaps bond and scrim, but there is no 100% guarantee you might get the odd hair line on the join. Take the old ceiling down leaving 4 inch’s around the cornice and butt up against that, but that’can be messy with an old lath plaster ceiling. If it is old lath it sounds like it’s died, dried out so just over skimimg doesn’t sound like a good option long term......blah blah blah.... many options really which ever you do make sure the customer is happy.

I’ve overboarded a few times before and left a gap between the boards and the cornice which I’ve bonded. Once skimmed you can’t tell by eye

No no no

@olician has this correct overboard then stopped with scrum over the stopped edge.

I've done many of these look a good feature when done properly

These?

Screenshot_2018-06-24-10-48-59.jpg

Im pretty puzzled as to know why a plasterer dsnt know what a board edge bead is or cant vision it
I haven't put one against existing cornice before is that clearer, I don't know if the shadow gap would look ok or be noticeable

This is one way of doing it as mentioned, standard skim stop.

Attachments

• 30F9463C-6FFE-452F-8CB6-FA8B6BA92BA1.png
    30F9463C-6FFE-452F-8CB6-FA8B6BA92BA1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 306