New to site work. Not sure about 'the best technique' or so im told....

Status
Not open for further replies.
we where working with another plasterer, we had 2, two coat hits a day ,he had three hits of one coat a day, not a thing wrong with his finish he just had is method.

Ayup. I have just landed my first site plastering job and Im a tiny bit worried about getting enough up to make my money. To make my £160 I reckon ive got to get about 8 bags up. Now the chap who ive started for is a really nice bloke and offered to spend the day on site with me showing me his system. What he does is (after prep, obviously) mix 1 bag for 1st coat and mix a second, sloppy tub for laying in. He doesnt flatten down his first coat before laying in, either. Im from the private side and I was taught to mix up, flatten down, lay in flatten, trowel up. I know he is just trying to show me how to get it up quickly and I really appreciate his efforts. I suppose the common sense thing is to 1st coat as neatly as possible so it can be layed on to easily. But I always used my first flatten to go around the edges an neaten them up and get any excess off any other walls/ceiling. Is this the usual, basic method on site? Be grateful for any tips so I can earn mo money. What about the much debated speedskim? Ive just got a refina plazzi delivered as someone told me it wont bollox my shoulder as much. Also just got an Eibenstock mixer, too!

Thanks.

Back to your original post mate,
When I've done site work I pre skim joints and mix gear a little firmer than normal and 1 coat it.
When laying on make sure you get a good deep even coat then lay flat with your plazaflex.
Try this method on your alternate walls and take your time to get it on as flat as possible because it will save you time and effort once you get the hang of it.
plaziflex is a good bit of kit for laying your wall flat and will give you extra time to make sure your finish is up to par, final trowel with steel mate.
Two coats is the way for the correct pay but one coat is right when the pay is sh*te?

Our housebashing rates have just risen +6%. There back now above what they were at the height of the boom, theres plenty of money out there to be made at the minute.

my mates a bricky on persimmon and there rates have just gone up but they still cant keep people theres alot of work coming up

Persimmons rates on there brickwork have risen by £75.00 a thousand and £2.00 a metre on blockwork in the last 3 months.

The point is that there is a missing link in the price chain and somebody is creaming the tradesmen?
You can tell me your happy with 450 a week in 5 years time with the constant wallop on the sites, when your hands scream with pain every morning and your shoulders are hanging on what's left of your tendons mate, its a filthy hard trade and we need to be given the same respect we got back in the 40's 50's 60's 70's 80' 90's ? its no coincidence that all the **** pay and crap rates came into play around the same time the "course gravy train" started?
Comparing plastering to shelf stacking doesn't make sense? I didn't know it took 3 - 5 years to do an apprenticeship for asda?
I'm guessing your not apprentice trained? so yeah of course anything will be much better than nothing.

I didnt do an apprenticeship. But I still had to clean all my own stuff, learn the basics and develop my techniques. In a lot of ways my route is probably harder. Ive had to learn from making all of my own mistakes and have never, ever had anyone to show me the best and most tested way to do things properly. Im obviously not in the same league as someone who has done it the traditional way. My point is that barring a full, tools down strike with masses of plasterers not a lot can be done about it. Its the same in lots of different jobs. It could be worse.

I didnt do an apprenticeship. But I still had to clean all my own stuff, learn the basics and develop my techniques. In a lot of ways my route is probably harder. Ive had to learn from making all of my own mistakes and have never, ever had anyone to show me the best and most tested way to do things properly. Im obviously not in the same league as someone who has done it the traditional way. My point is that barring a full, tools down strike with masses of plasterers not a lot can be done about it. Its the same in lots of different jobs. It could be worse.
you will learn lot here
hell of a lot :RpS_thumbup:

I already have! I didnt know what a rolling set was until I found it on here. Im going to have a go at one when Ive got used to working on site a bit
dont kill your self for money ...................it aint worth it

Anyway, blah blah blah. Im boring myself.

Your posts are quite interesting mate, keep it going.
The problem with the trade is there are too many under skilled/over skilled 'plasterers' working for little money as they have a mortgage and bills to pay so will take anything. The folk at the top know this and are taking full advantage to boost there profits.

The problem with the trade is there are too many under skilled/over skilled 'plasterers' working for little money as they have a mortgage and bills to pay so will take anything. The folk at the top know this and are taking full advantage to boost there profits.
the problem is skimmers :RpS_confused: ****** it up for every ****

unfortunately i cant see plastering ever being how we had it in the 80s, 90s, etc again,, pricework was always hard but you earnt good money had a laugh and finished early if you wanted, went in for one hit saturday mornings and still earnt you rmoney. we were lucky, there was loads of work no east Europeans and no coursers

Im definitely not a plasterer. I wouldnt know where to start in the use of backing plasters, I cant do a DPC, dont know what slurry is and have never worked one on one with a decent, nice, proper plasterer who can give me hints or tips etc. Everything I know comes from working with a very old bloke about 7 years ago for about 2 months all in. The rest has just been filled in with determination, common sense and lots of mistakes. I can put up timber studs, board, dab and skim. Dont know if im fast, slow, good, total shite or whatever. Dont know the lingo or what tools i could be using instead of the basics. What I do know is that when i look at my work and run my hand over it, it feels nice and smooth and the customer always pays in full. So I cant be that bad. Nothing looks worse than bad plastering.

Im definitely not a plasterer. I wouldnt know where to start in the use of backing plasters, I cant do a DPC, dont know what slurry is and have never worked one on one with a decent, nice, proper plasterer who can give me hints or tips etc. Everything I know comes from working with a very old bloke about 7 years ago for about 2 months all in. The rest has just been filled in with determination, common sense and lots of mistakes. I can put up timber studs, board, dab and skim. Dont know if im fast, slow, good, total shite or whatever. Dont know the lingo or what tools i could be using instead of the basics. What I do know is that when i look at my work and run my hand over it, it feels nice and smooth and the customer always pays in full. So I cant be that bad. Nothing looks worse than bad plastering.
Surely a windup, must be? then again maybe not.

the problem is skimmers :RpS_confused: ****** it up for every ****

And I can imagine how frustrating it is for the real, time served and highly skilled plasterers to see their trade in decline but not everyone who hasnt been through the traditional apprenticeship route is just a rough arsed bodger. Im sure there are also a lot of real plasterers who simply dont give a toss and cut lots of corners just to make more money. I wish I could learn everything about it cos I really like it. Unfortunately at 32 with a family on the horizon I need to make money. Going to college etc wont do that for me. Maybe in the long term but I need £££ now!

Just bought a Speedskim. Left to my own devices I usually trawl ebay and buy things for my RSV or hand tools.

And I can imagine how frustrating it is for the real, time served and highly skilled plasterers to see their trade in decline but not everyone who hasnt been through the traditional apprenticeship route is just a rough arsed bodger. Im sure there are also a lot of real plasterers who simply dont give a toss and cut lots of corners just to make more money. I wish I could learn everything about it cos I really like it. Unfortunately at 32 with a family on the horizon I need to make money. Going to college etc wont do that for me. Maybe in the long term but I need £££ now!

You seem a decent enough bloke and dont take this the wrong way, but its exactly because of people like you that the trade is getting fuked up mate...

£450 for you at this stage is ok ,£350 is what I pay labourers and why I haven't killed one of them yet is unknown to me yet,
btw ,don't talk about spunky, he has worked hard for years and knows his stuff, men that have loads of experience had to suffer during the recession and wouldn't take kindly to any disparaging comments, only saying, don't awake the sleeping dog.

Last edited:
£450 for you at this stage is ok ,£350 is what I pay labourers and why I haven't killed one of them yet is unknown to me yet,
btw ,don't talk about spunky, he has worked hard for years and knows his stuff, men that have loads of experience had to suffer during the recession and wouldn't take kindly to any disparaging comments, only saying, don't awake the sleeping dog.

I didnt say owt bad about the bloke. Didnt everyone suffer during the recession?

You seem a decent enough bloke and dont take this the wrong way, but its exactly because of people like you that the trade is getting fuked up mate...

Not sure what to say about that. Its obviously utter, utter b*ll***s but I wont take it the wrong way. Just because I havent been to college but still go to work with a trowel isnt the reason why people pay less than they used to. Thats just plain ignorant. I work just as hard as you.

Read the links below?
The comments made by us older guys are totally valid and has nothing to do with being bitter or being stuck in the past.
The "just learned" "completed my course" brigade happily accept the pay and conditions on site because to them it's a massive wage increase from working down the local super market or factory, then again how can someone who isn't a professional plasterer show any respect for a trade they haven't actually learned correctly?

http://www.counterfire.org/index.php/news/17149-construction-workers-fight-for-a-fair-days-paye

http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/e...kers-with-disrespect-with-derisory-pay-offer/

CIJC | Construction Industry Joint Council Working Rule Agreement | UCATT

Construction unions reject 1% pay offer ? Construction Enquirer

We're in an era where there is always someone willing to do it. I've stayed away from sites as the prices don't come close to domestic. But even with domestic you find customers will ring round loads for a cheaper price. Ask you how much for cash. Saying something like one guys price is fifty notes less than yours , will you match it etc. When it comes to the crunch some lads will buckle and take the cheaper less paid work as it's better paid than no work at all. Europeans will gladly graft their b*ll***s off for a onner a day as they won't make that much back home. It's a downward spiral where someone will always do it.
Back to OP. Give it a go. What do you have to lose. If after a few weeks your struggling to make the money then go back to domestic. Or morrisons. Money might not be as good but you will live longer without all the stress on your bones and joints

Read the links below?
The comments made by us older guys are totally valid and has nothing to do with being bitter or being stuck in the past.
The "just learned" "completed my course" brigade happily accept the pay and conditions on site because to them it's a massive wage increase from working down the local super market or factory, then again how can someone who isn't a professional plasterer show any respect for a trade they haven't actually learned correctly?

Construction workers fight for a fair day's PAYE | Counterfire

Employers treat construction workers with disrespect with derisory pay offer

CIJC | Construction Industry Joint Council Working Rule Agreement | UCATT

Construction unions reject 1% pay offer ? Construction Enquirer

I earned a lot more working on the water but injured my back and got sick of working outside, in water in the winter. I never once said you were stuck in the past, ive mentioned that I enjoy the job, that i wished i could learn everything and that I can see how fully trained blokes must find it frustrating. I dont really see why I am a problem? I havent been on any ridiculous courses. Sorry if me learning something offends you pal. I may not have learned it all but the things I have learned I can do well. Lots of pointy, waggy fingers in here. I'll gladly take advice from those who dont feel the need to blame people cos they dont earn as much as they used to or whatever but Im not too fussed about reading tripe about me not respecting a trade which Ive been learning for the past few years. I and everyone else has suffered in many different trades and other jobs. My dad lost his job and was out of work for 2 years. He didnt point his finger and tell me I shouldnt be doing something because I hadnt done an apprenticeship. He told me I had to pay my way. Thats what im doing. If you have a problem with that then you can b*ll***s.

I earned a lot more working on the water but injured my back and got sick of working outside, in water in the winter. I never once said you were stuck in the past, ive mentioned that I enjoy the job, that i wished i could learn everything and that I can see how fully trained blokes must find it frustrating. I dont really see why I am a problem? I havent been on any ridiculous courses. Sorry if me learning something offends you pal. I may not have learned it all but the things I have learned I can do well. Lots of pointy, waggy fingers in here. I'll gladly take advice from those who dont feel the need to blame people cos they dont earn as much as they used to or whatever but Im not too fussed about reading tripe about me not respecting a trade which Ive been learning for the past few years. I and everyone else has suffered in many different trades and other jobs. My dad lost his job and was out of work for 2 years. He didnt point his finger and tell me I shouldnt be doing something because I hadnt done an apprenticeship. He told me I had to pay my way. Thats what im doing. If you have a problem with that then you can b*ll***s.

Am a real plasterer I have all the skills. What do u have.

Lol it's been an interesting thread this one, some good points. I appreciate your honesty smw but you have to understand why this issue will wind some people.
For me I compare it to being a chef, a qualified chef has training, experience, a thorough knowledge of the ingredients they use and the capacity to learn and improve. If you had a professional kitchen with a full brigade and a "new chef" started that chef would be expected to know all the basics, if they turned around and said they couldn't make a sauce or fillet a fish or make a pastry then trust me the other chefs would pounce on them.
You will learn a lot on here, best of luck bud :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.