New to site work. Not sure about 'the best technique' or so im told....

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knocked 35% off the arched windows as i hadnt done them before. My customer was more than happy with that and encouraged me to learn. Thats what normal, non-bitter people do. You lot dont like people who been on courses and you dont like people who learn on the job. Where should we learn then? Where does an apprentice learn? A bit on a college course and on the job with someone with the experience. What if his gaffer is a shite plasterer? Is the apprentice still a Plasterer even though he has been taught shite practices? Strange that. The only difference is that Ive learned from reading, asking, watching and trying and its been done almost entirely off my own back. In 6 or 7 years Ive had 1 customer who didnt pay. I know the reason for that. Its cos I do a good job of the things I can do. As far as the chapel is concerned...I boarded it then skimmed it. It must be a strain for you to be looking down on me from aaaaalllll the way up there.

I didn't ask for all the bollox mate, I genuinely was trying to help you out!
You don't want to learn about the fact you shouldn't skim fire line board but if you had the relevant training/knowledge you would have known that wouldn't you.
I suggest you stop ******* up other peoples houses, because even if you discount your prices 100% you will still be liable for the **** up.

Now go and find out why you shouldn't skim fire line board.

Cant do 8 yet. Was hoping to get some tips from some peeps on here but ive just got a load of flak instead. Must be some lemon suckers logging on cos there is an awful lot of bitterness in amongst the good chaps. Thanks Jess!

Nah just take it to the face!! Most isn't flak just banter don't worry about it! Craic on buddy :RpS_thumbup:

I didn't ask for all the bollox mate, I genuinely was trying to help you out!
You don't want to learn about the fact you shouldn't skim fire line board but if you had the relevant training/knowledge you would have known that wouldn't you.
I suggest you stop ******* up other peoples houses, because even if you discount your prices 100% you will still be liable for the **** up.

Now go and find out why you shouldn't skim fire line board.

The pink board? Ive seen lots of people skimming it. Fire board, fire rated board or whatever.

And who am I to argue with the building regs man and the customer?
If your customer asked you to skim over live cables would you do it?
You are there to do the correct proceedure not what the customer tells you to do.

That's two thing you learned from me today already :RpS_thumbup:

I just wonder how you would know what work I take on....if youd have seen other posts id written youd see I was asking advice on other things too. Im glad I didnt do an apprenticeship if it leaves you waaayyyyy up there on your high horse. Seems to me that some of you just like to moan and groan and point your fingers and say "its your fault, whaaa whhaaa" Grow up.

I never said anything about being anyones fault just u r stealing the easy jobs . No mate ur robbin customers by saying your a plasterer

Cant do 8 yet. Was hoping to get some tips from some peeps on here but ive just got a load of flak instead. Must be some lemon suckers logging on cos there is an awful lot of bitterness in amongst the good chaps. Thanks Jess![/QUOT

oh dear....

to earn money on site you have to be skilled ,but to skim plasterboard is a semi skilled job thats why the market is flooded , its easy to start up as a plasterer cheap ,tools you can do it on your own with basic skill thats were the problem lies imo

Just as well or it would be very quiet on here mate.

But Nela flexi does it as normal mt push moisture into the plaster and it sets quickly... I have done it..

arrisplastering.co.uk

You just don't ******* learn do you!!

Would you work for 50 sheets a day? Why would I? I turn jobs down that I know needs a pro plasterer. Im no cowboy. I just enjoy it. Im no threat to all of you trained plasterers so I really dont know what the big deal is. I only asked for some help to get me started on something I dont really know how to do....

But site work needs to be done by a pro plasterer. Like it or not you are a cowboy and as already said you are taking work away from pro plasterers.

This place makes me laugh. I even laughed properly with Andy comment to Ryan.

I'm confused though four plastering. Why can't you skim on pink fire board.

I'm doing a bungalow that all the boarding is fireline because the developer got a better deal on them.
I know there's no worries going over fireline boards but sometimes when something's said it gets you thinking. Anyhow back to the beer!

FFS guys give the bloke a break, you all (including myself) condemn the "coursers" but lets be real here an apprenticeship is a "course" only longer, I myself never completed my apprenticeship Does that make me not a plasterer after 32 years ? no i can render, float & set, tack, Dot & dab, screed.
even the guy that made this forum went on a gold trowel course yet no one denies him being a "pro plasterer", and how many that completed their apprenticeships do Plaster the way the citb City & guilds book says ? who among you when skimming trowel float trowel who plumbs & dots every wall?
as for people "stealing" work what bollox you give your price if you win it then it's yours to do if you don't win it, it doesn't mean the guy that got the job stole it from you, as i said give the guy a break

FFS guys give the bloke a break, you all (including myself) condemn the "coursers" but lets be real here an apprenticeship is a "course" only longer, I myself never completed my apprenticeship Does that make me not a plasterer after 32 years ? no i can render, float & set, tack, Dot & dab, screed.
even the guy that made this forum went on a gold trowel course yet no one denies him being a "pro plasterer", and how many that completed their apprenticeships do Plaster the way the citb City & guilds book says ? who among you when skimming trowel float trowel who plumbs & dots every wall?
as for people "stealing" work what bollox you give your price if you win it then it's yours to do if you don't win it, it doesn't mean the guy that got the job stole it from you, as i said give the guy a break

The issue here is, he is stealing work from proper plasterers, hes said he isnt a plasterer, so why is he doing it ? yes an apprentiship going to college is a course, however its a 4 year course, not a 5 day course... and yes you can learn the trade without going to college, but you cant learn it in 10 days or by yourself.

What if a customer asks a plasterer to tile a splashback on a kitchen afrer a reskim. Asumming he is comfortable to do it should he tell her to call a time served tiler???

Could be worse...could be happily sitting on the dole doing feck all scrounging off the country like millions of others...dippin our pockets:RpS_unsure:

tiling used to be part of the plasterers job, I did both at college, im sure a plasterer, providing he has the tools, can do a splashback... its amazing how people " specalise " in certain aspects of plastering.. a plasterer should be able to do all aspects of the trade... he may prefer and be better at certain things, but should still be able to handle any plastering related job... can coursers say that ?? I think not..

Could be worse...could be happily sitting on the dole doing feck all scrounging off the country like millions of others...dippin our pockets:RpS_unsure:

yes he could be... instaed of dipping into the plasterers pockets in his area ?? I think the bloke is an alright person to be honest, but dont agree with the way he is going about things...

What if a customer asks a plasterer to tile a splashback on a kitchen afrer a reskim. Asumming he is comfortable to do it should he tell her to call a time served tiler???

Tiling was just another aspect of the plastering trade when I started 30+ years ago, I don't think there ever was such a thing as a 'time-served tiler' :RpS_thumbup:

Well all i can say is that just cos a few people think im a job robbing, un-skilled cowboy i wont stop working. Those of you who like to have a dig you can basically **** off. I think youre high horsed wankers. Ive been learning for almost 7 years now and I reckon I'm pretty good at what I can do. And for the record, Cassie, you over opionated nob, im not stealing work. Im putting a price in for work that Im capable of doing. I charge decent money for things I can do and occasionally offer a deal if its something I want to learn and if the customer thinks thats ok whats the big deal? Should they only spend their hard earned cash on someone who has been cleared by you as a Plasterer? If youre worried about people nicking your work then maybe you should look into something else? Youre already a well trained plasterer and by the sounds of it youve had years of training at being a massive dick. And just for the record.....youre right. I am a decent bloke. But you seem like a prick.

If you couldn't skim fire line board there'd be no way to fill in the gaps and level out the board edges.

Well all i can say is that just cos a few people think im a job robbing, un-skilled cowboy i wont stop working. Those of you who like to have a dig you can basically **** off. I think youre high horsed wankers. Ive been learning for almost 7 years now and I reckon I'm pretty good at what I can do. And for the record, Cassie, you over opionated nob, im not stealing work. Im putting a price in for work that Im capable of doing. I charge decent money for things I can do and occasionally offer a deal if its something I want to learn and if the customer thinks thats ok whats the big deal? Should they only spend their hard earned cash on someone who has been cleared by you as a Plasterer? If youre worried about people nicking your work then maybe you should look into something else? Youre already a well trained plasterer and by the sounds of it youve had years of training at being a massive dick. And just for the record.....youre right. I am a decent bloke. But you seem like a prick.

lol... I love you really John...

Trowel float trowel when skimming ? When has that even been right in the last say 20 years ?

steptoe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.