Nela s*p*r*lex users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iv been trying to use a nela s*p*r*lex for a couple of weeks now but I don't think I will be sing it any more just don't seem to get a decent finish like a steel marshaltown

Iv been trying to use a nela s*p*r*lex for a couple of weeks now but I don't think I will be sing it any more just don't seem to get a decent finish like a steel marshaltown

Sucking eggs and all that... but have you tried changing your timings? I found it needs one less trowel than you think if that makes sense?

Plenty here to help and guide you if you would like :D

As Danny says, change the way you would usually work with them, have a search and read on here about them, the Nela s*p*r*lex has certainly made things easier for me! And soon you will be saying the words... "How did I go on without it" :RpS_thumbsup:

At what point do you start using your sf? Do you coat and lay down with a normal trowel then trowel up with a s*p*r*lex? I suppose we are to set in our ways to change and have to much confidence in my marshaltown!

use your M/T, and keep messing with the nela, once you get used to it, you will love it mate...

I use the 16'' ones mate, i think its a case of getting used to them, maybe use your refina and do the odd wall with the nela, until you decide which you prefer... they are both great brands, I use both...

Hi new on on the forum.... I find that if your not careful the nela s*p*r*lex can ride over bumps ? Any one else had it with this trowel dunno wether I trust it

Hi new on on the forum.... I find that if your not careful the nela s*p*r*lex can ride over bumps ? Any one else had it with this trowel dunno wether I trust it

Same happened to me when I first used the Refina s*p*r*lex

Lid seemed fine till I painted it then I could see a few ripples in the lid

Lol I lay on pretty neat but you have got to be so carful on walls where light shines on it on over walls it's ok cos matt paint will hide them but still ain't good .think troweling up with ur usaul worn in trowel and final with the s/f would be a safe bet

I've found with the s*p*r*lex that it's too flexible to put over anything other than wet gear.....I only use it now for flattening off the first and second (if wet enough). However, it's very good for this purpose...allows me to flatten off sooner.

As you say, if you try doing the first/second trowel with it, it has a tendency to ' ride' over any ridges however there really shouldn't be any ridges at this point. However, what I find more annoying is the fact it seems to actually create 'troths' in a surface, even if there were no ridges to start with?... Maybe it's riding over firmer plaster due to varying thicknesses of second coat?... Defo have a love/hate relationship with my s*p*r*lex!

So, to you guys who use the s*p*r*lex for troweling up, how are you getting around this?

mine delaminated. piss has offered to replace it to be fair. been using old 18 inch carbon and 14 inch stainless MT of late together with eze spat with plastic blade to finish. i didnt know whether to stick or twist before that with all the new gear. things are simpler now.

mine delaminated. piss has offered to replace it to be fair. been using old 18 inch carbon and 14 inch stainless MT of late together with eze spat with plastic blade to finish. i didnt know whether to stick or twist before that with all the new gear. things are simpler now.
Told you a croc of shite!! None of my M/Ts ever fell to bits?? :RpS_thumbup:

I've found with the s*p*r*lex that it's too flexible to put over anything other than wet gear.....I only use it now for flattening off the first and second (if wet enough). However, it's very good for this purpose...allows me to flatten off sooner.

As you say, if you try doing the first/second trowel with it, it has a tendency to ' ride' over any ridges however there really shouldn't be any ridges at this point. However, what I find more annoying is the fact it seems to actually create 'troths' in a surface, even if there were no ridges to start with?... Maybe it's riding over firmer plaster due to varying thicknesses of second coat?... Defo have a love/hate relationship with my s*p*r*lex!

So, to you guys who use the s*p*r*lex for troweling up, how are you getting around this?
v
Hiya pal.
What's that in English mate?? :rolleyes)

I think it says I'm not getting on with the s*p*r*lex :RpS_unsure:
The whole point of the "s*p*r*lex" range of trowels is that you "Can" get on it sooner in order to save time on your sets!? I love my M/T's but use a Refina s*p*r*lex to second coat and finish any skim work to save me time and a lot of effort its a no brainer :RpS_thumbup:

The whole point of the "s*p*r*lex" range of trowels is that you "Can" get on it sooner in order to save time on your sets!? I love my M/T's but use a Refina s*p*r*lex to second coat and finish any skim work to save me time and a lot of effort its a no brainer :RpS_thumbup:

Are you applying with it then?

@Hairybear just try it. Get on your set a bit earlier than you normaly would with no or little water and if you want to piss the decorator off !? Use a Refina foam back plazzi and do your final polish with that :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hairybear just try it. Get on your set a bit earlier than you normaly would with no or little water and if you want to piss the decorator off !? Use a Refina foam back plazzi and do your final polish with that :RpS_thumbup:

Right, I got a small bedroom reskim on tomorrow, I'm gonna do it! :RpS_thumbsup:

Let me know how you get on pal? Obviously common sense has to kick in ie if its blatantly too soft going over it best have a brew in between before touching your work with the trowel :RpS_biggrin:

I love the Nela s*p*r*lex, I've been using it for the past month and have has no problems whatsoever. I lay on the first coat with my MT, flatten with the s*p*r*lex, then second coat with MT and finish with the s*p*r*lex .

When I use it I flatten both coats with a speed skim but they were re skim walls ,it all got painted and looked pretty good but when you rub your hand over the walls you could feel a slight bump ere and there.maybe more practice with it get on it wetter and tiny bit more pressure ?

I only use the s*p*r*lex for the last two trowels as it does ride over some ridges when the plaster isnt firm enough,i do believe it was designed just for the final couple of trowels,i use my ss mt for the rest at the min,will swap to the nela premium when its worn in a little more,just rendering and floating with it at the min.

I only use the s*p*r*lex for the last two trowels as it does ride over some ridges when the plaster isnt firm enough,i do believe it was designed just for the final couple of trowels,i use my ss mt for the rest at the min,will swap to the nela premium when its worn in a little more,just rendering and floating with it at the min.

How many trowels do you do ?

1st coat,flatten.2ndcoat,flatten(2 with the s*p*r*lex)this may change slightly dependant on bakcground.
Yeh that's what I've recently been trying il stick with that method I was 1st trowling with the s/f but letting it firm up a bit probably why I had slight bumps hear n there

Yeh that's what I've recently been trying il stick with that method I was 1st trowling with the s/f but letting it firm up a bit probably why I had slight bumps hear n there
That is what suits me,i do feel the plaster should be "flat" and reasonably firm before the sf is used, i had my doubts at first but a little bit of trial and error and now find it so easy to use:RpS_thumbup:

Good stuff think that's what I'm going through ATM but il stick with it ...it's stole destroying seeing any marks in your plastering

100% s*p*r*lex trowels are great to use but your walls have to be very flat , get your first coat flat and time your laying in well and they will produce great results

This is all getting really confusing

i can see this on dragons den

ive invented a sf trowel

so what does it do

it allows you to plaster walls but only if the walls are flat and the gear is wet

so the dragon ask

haven't we already invented trowel that will do this already and you actually own one and the gear can be a bit firmer and the wall not so flat

i can see the look on thier faces

or am I missing the point

ie are we reinventing the wheel but not as well as the current wheel?

im out

Status
Not open for further replies.