Nela s*p*r*lex users

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely pal, the s*p*r*lex is a great trowel, but fuk me.. bored with it now.. makes me wonder how many people can actually use a proper trowel... all these questions about how to use one are fukin mad... I got one and worked it out in a gauge.. not rocket science..

absolutely pal, the s*p*r*lex is a great trowel, but fuk me.. bored with it now.. makes me wonder how many people can actually use a proper trowel... all these questions about how to use one are fukin mad... I got one and worked it out in a gauge.. not rocket science..
Totally agree

This is all getting really confusing

i can see this on dragons den

ive invented a sf trowel

so what does it do

it allows you to plaster walls but only if the walls are flat and the gear is wet

so the dragon ask

haven't we already invented trowel that will do this already and you actually own one and the gear can be a bit firmer and the wall not so flat

i can see the look on thier faces

or am I missing the point

ie are we reinventing the wheel but not as well as the current wheel?

im out

Don't think it finishes the work any better but I think after a while of using one you can feel the benefit on your arm having to put less pressure on

The proper spreads are back in town..... don't let em catch you asking questions about anything to do with plastering....on the plasterers forum....they'll burn you at the stake! :flapper:

Mines going in the skip .nothing wrong with my hard earned normal worn it trowel never get no ifs and ums and it aint that bad on the arms ur not pushing a 20 kg weight around the walls .you never get this much hassle about any other trowel and u can't compare it to a plasterer of 20 years experiences trowel . They will invent something that will actually do it for you soon

Don't think it finishes the work any better but I think after a while of using one you can feel the benefit on your arm having to put less pressure on

Since I've been using my old Tyzack Centenary my shoulders have been aching and I've been getting wánkers cramp in my hand..
Still produces a flawless finish though, just seams a bit more hard work than the s*p*r*lex as I have to leave it a bit later before troweling up - maybe it's turned me into a wuss :RpS_crying:

Been trying the Putz spat, does a nice job of flattening but maybe using it a bit early as it picks up a lot of fat on the blade. :RpS_unsure:

Mines going in the skip .nothing wrong with my hard earned normal worn it trowel never get no ifs and ums and it aint that bad on the arms ur not pushing a 20 kg weight around the walls .you never get this much hassle about any other trowel and u can't compare it to a plasterer of 20 years experiences trowel . They will invent something that will actually do it for you soon

I'll take it of you

I'm probably the only one that doesn't get on with them .im starting work for a couple high end builders next year so my works gotta be on its A game :RpS_thumbup:

Since I've been using my old Tyzack Centenary my shoulders have been aching and I've been getting wánkers cramp in my hand..
Still produces a flawless finish though, just seams a bit more hard work than the s*p*r*lex as I have to leave it a bit later before troweling up - maybe it's turned me into a wuss :RpS_crying:

Been trying the Putz spat, does a nice job of flattening but maybe using it a bit early as it picks up a lot of fat on the blade. :RpS_unsure:

I've been unsure about spats because of the straight handle wether it would be weird on your wrist

Didn't say it was that hard on yours arms but the flex helps

I've been unsure about spats because of the straight handle wether it would be weird on your wrist

Not too bad, bit like table tennis bats - either hold it western style or Asian style. Going to persevere with mine I think. Wanted to try one for ages and now I've got one (thanks to Ryan @Plasterers1StopShop) I'm giving it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate wasnt aimed at you,everyone says they are lighter on ur arms .im just turning bitter been working 7 days a week for the last 2 months :RpS_bored: think its getting to me

I'm probably the only one that doesn't get on with them .im starting work for a couple high end builders next year so my works gotta be on its A game :RpS_thumbup:

I don't get on with them, they ride over and you have to trowel up 100 times. Where as with the used mt it's 2 trowels and a polish.

Well I'm not the only one ,did a pissy little wall other day because the builder put a wall up last minute so I put it on speed skimmed them second speed skim then 1 st trowel with my mt the about 4 more with the nela cos I got board .cos it was a small wall put the plaster on bang on thickness went off mint went there today .....and a board joint was showing . Now I just use mt twice then I quick trowel with a plastic to bring some fat back then quick with mt ......bang on ! Come at me glancing light

Had a bit on recently.
Got my 68year old dad to help out. Im there with my sf and spats. and plazis i can see him frowning at me with all this gear. Cut a long story short he has 2 ragni 11" carbon steel trowels one for laying on one for polishing. He put a fair bit and left a mint finish can just imagine him driving home thinking kids nowadays with all there toys.

Well I'm not the only one ,did a pissy little wall other day because the builder put a wall up last minute so I put it on speed skimmed them second speed skim then 1 st trowel with my mt the about 4 more with the nela cos I got board .cos it was a small wall put the plaster on bang on thickness went off mint went there today .....and a board joint was showing . Now I just use mt twice then I quick trowel with a plastic to bring some fat back then quick with mt ......bang on ! Come at me glancing light

[/QUOTE your getting on it way too early with the sf... just leave it tp pull in a bit, and the sf is fine,

But others have said u have to get in the gear early with a sf so it's still a bit confusing

Here's the problem.

I've just done a room half existing/half board. I used my mt to lay on and the sf to trowel. The half with the board is spot on, the existing has these bloody ridges where the sf floats over. So, it's horses for courses......
The sf seems to cope well when the gear picks up evenly (ie when your skimming board) however for reskims where you hve lay on a bit thick to overcome uneven surfaces and the variations in suction, the plaster picks up unevenly so the sf floats over the firmer areas when your troweling up.

Before I bought this trowel I read about all the good things but there no negatives about it so I bought it tryed it found its a hit and miss which I can't afford on jobs and now more people are saying the negatives .are these people that say the negatives are checking there work just like a really picky foreman would .

I wouldn't say there is many negatives... 4 maybe 5 people. With the s*p*r*lex it will take time to adjust over to it. You need to change your timings when using them. Each person will find a different technique to using them.

I struggled with the nela when 1st had it, like has been said get the timing rite + its spot on, i lay on with mt + dependin how big the area is flatten off twice with speedskim or once with mt then finish it off with the nela. I found it does need a bit of wearing in, iv jus had to change mine cos it was one of the 1st batch but it was wearin in well + left a spot on finish, not gona finish with me new one til wear the edges in a bit, same as any trowel u cant use it straight out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.