Mystery

Members online

I had this the other week got 15 bags of multi for a job same date on bags 12 were fine the peeling affect happened with 3 even next day rubbed hand over the face came off dodgey s**t gear !!

I noticed that it just rubs off....................... but tried some pure and acted similar.

What was you going over, board or?

Board I've had it on refacing as well but not for a while scraped it back and redone it pain in the f**k**g arse dodgey gritty s**t from jewsons!

i can be a few things.
what age is the property ? distemper was still common in the 50s.
is the water passing through a water softener ? this will kill the set, it is the impurities in the water that sets the plaster.
if the pva has been frozen it separates and becomes corse. we store ours in the cab.
if the multi finish is out of date it goes dead and slumps.
a lot of builders merchants do not store plaster very well, stacked beside cement, kept in damp conditions, etc.

@lurpak slumming it

i can be a few things.
what age is the property ? distemper was still common in the 50s.
is the water passing through a water softener ? this will kill the set, it is the impurities in the water that sets the plaster.
if the pva has been frozen it separates and becomes corse. we store ours in the cab.
if the multi finish is out of date it goes dead and slumps.
a lot of builders merchants do not store plaster very well, stacked beside cement, kept in damp conditions, etc.

Hi mate, property 20 years old. Gear in date m used diff bags/gear pva hasn’t frozen to my knowledge/in my possession

Water coming from mains in kitchen

I glue and skim 6 days a week 15 years so the odd time i get this issue I don’t think its pva unless pva f*kd which is possible.

Or the water on this particular house.

Grit is when there is no suction. Also grit takes forever to put on. You think I’m gonna grit 4 fkg houses? Stick to board kid.
'Grit is when there is no suction'

so what would you class as a background with no suction then clever coursing c**t?

certain paints?

wtf is that supposed to mean?

all fkg paint from matt emulsion to gloss will have very little or no suction on it........didn't teach you that on your fkg short course did they?

Why you acting hard on a forum you fat nonse?

Silk paint needs gritting others dont. Just because u grit everything like a fat pussy doesn’t meant you need too

Been having a bit of a game Plastering lately at a house. And I don’t think it’s the gear as it’s happening with different gear.

Put it on, lay down same mix. Go to flatten and it pulls off like clay. Tried leaving first longer and using fresh mix to lay in, same thing. Dries all weird piss wet in some areas set in others.

Tried leaving it to fully go then dry trowel and it just peels off, even the next day.

It’s happening on painted walls and ceilings. So not wallpaper paste. I’m trying to figure this out. Possibly bad pva even tho I’m using unibond super pva.. or the water feed seems to have a s**t load of pressure/air as it’s from mains.

I’m leaning toward the water, so might fill buckets the night before..

Thoughts?
I never use pva anymore the quality is nothing like the old days mate.i use blue grit on all my jobs better key on painted surfaces and even suction after laying down sponge float and trowel with no blisters or plaster ripping when trowelling up.bluegrit all the way after years of stress with s**t pva

I never use pva anymore the quality is nothing like the old days mate.i use blue grit on all my jobs better key on painted surfaces and even suction after laying down sponge float and trowel with no blisters or plaster ripping when trowelling up.bluegrit all the way after years of stress with s**t pva

Biggest problem for me is the setting time with grit. I’ve used it and it is good. Although heard of failures . Majority of my jobs are 1 day skims

Biggest problem for me is the setting time with grit. I’ve used it and it is good. Although heard of failures . Majority of my jobs are 1 day skims
Years ago I would trowel finish without the use of a sponge float like most old school spreads but I can honestly say that after turning to the sponge float the finish is far superior than trowel finish the thing is most spreads would be shouting out “f**k the sponge” I could not give 2 fucks what anyone says because after 26 years plastering you will get through your sets quicker and with ease trust me

Years ago I would trowel finish without the use of a sponge float like most old school spreads but I can honestly say that after turning to the sponge float the finish is far superior than trowel finish the thing is most spreads would be shouting out “f**k the sponge” I could not give 2 fucks what anyone says because after 26 years plastering you will get through your sets quicker and with ease trust me
Timing is the key with the sponge the rest is history..

I’ve got a brand new one gonna give it a fair go

I used the green grit the other week and it was a nightmare.ive tried and tested blue grit for years and it’s the best on the market for quality f**k off the pva mate because you will get problems with different backgrounds

Get stuck in mate £13.50 from wickes keep it clean stick your fingers right up it when cleaning and it will be your best friend ;)

My concern is that on a scale, i very rarely have issues. 99/100 glue n skik same day problem free easy. But when i get a problem the stress makes me consider changes things