my builder

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

Whoop whoop at last, for f**k sake that was hard work :) are you sure the customer doesn't see that? They must get the figure off the customer about how much are they looking to spend ie is it under £200 or is it more? I know you can price what you want that's normal but would be interesting to know, has anyone used it for a tradesman and what was the crack?
No it says my builder give a fair value to the job(in their opinion) and price the lead....not seen a job posted yet that mentions money, always just a discription of the wor.

I personally wouldn't get anyone off these sites because there are normal Ways of getting a tradesman and that's scroll down the page on Google a bit more and call one. There is the problem off them not turning up because it's cost them nothing so that's one of its advantages. Unfortunately they work and are taking off because people are getting lazier. I also think they are a Breeding ground for Cowboys and con men who will take advantage of people's laziness.

the bad feedback from a customer on checkatrade can be removed for a fee! so everything is not that good for the customer.
That must be a new thing as a couple of years ago that was not the case

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No it says my builder give a fair value to the job(in their opinion) and price the lead....not seen a job posted yet that mentions money, always just a discription of the wor.
They have priced the job based on the lead, what is the highest fee for a job?

I personally wouldn't get anyone off these sites because there are normal Ways of getting a tradesman and that's scroll down the page on Google a bit more and call one. There is the problem off them not turning up because it's cost them nothing so that's one of its advantages. Unfortunately they work and are taking off because people are getting lazier. I also think they are a Breeding ground for Cowboys and con men who will take advantage of people's laziness.
I think people like it cos its ratings based...if you're a cowboy youd have 2 or 3 negative reviews in a week or so

Do you have to pay a % of the job if you get it?
No the only charge is the lead but you pay that if you get the job or not....you send the customer a message expressing interest and only pay if the customer shortlists you...once they shortlist you get their name and phone number and they get yours...

No the only charge is the lead but you pay that if you get the job or not....you send the customer a message expressing interest and only pay if the customer shortlists you...once they shortlist you get their name and phone number and they get yours...
No monthly charge or yearly?

Sounds like a sneaky fuucking drug deal.
My good lord is it this difficult and secretive to plaster some bloody walls.

Some middle man making money for fuuck all.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck all that.

It works and will get you work but it's. It's not for me and luckily I don't need to pay to get work. The issues I have with it are your paying a middle man part of your wage, you are contacting the customer which sort of turns the tables to their advantage, not everyone will think like that but I would say a majority. It gives way to a lot of time wasters and window shoppers who a lot of the time don't realise you have payed because they for it for free, the other thing is the customer is being a bit lazy ( fair enough I know the worlds changing ie the Internet and also mobile phones and people work long hours) but getting a good tradesman is not as simple as reading a review. I've heard of a few horror stories and seen jobs done by people off these sites that was bad which gives the site a bad name which in turn may give you a bad name because your associated with them. So you get posted a job let's say a living room reskim is their a guide price? I'm sick of asking the same question it keeps getting diverted and if so what does it usually say?

No guide price what so ever

But you can scroll down google but this doesn't give reviews of previous work, it's not about people becoming lazier it's an easy way of avoiding being done by a cowboy. It is impossible for it to be a breeding ground for cowboys as it only takes one negative feedback and your highly unlikely to get further work.

Christ almighty this has become pointless again because people want to argue back and forth over who's right and wrong.
It's simple, for any business starting up or someone who doesn't know how to put themselves out there, this is a form of advertising!
It isn't guaranteed to work no matter what you pay, YOU as a business make it work with the decisions you make. Some people don't need to do it, but if you have just set up or have no contacts this is a means of potentially getting work which if you do well will lead to recommendations whether through your reviews or by the clients telling friends etc.
People can say it's pointless but if advertising isn't an effective means of getting business why do massive company's pay ridiculous money to get there name on a football shirt, boxing ring, racing circuits etc....yes it's a completely different scale but all the same concept.
All start ups will need some form of advertising to produce clients in there early years the only exception is someone time served in there profession who previously worked for someone but has decided to go on there own, they will have contacts from the time they've spent learning what they do and then will poach them from there current employer if possible, most likely with some form of sweetener so again they will be paying one way or another.
This is a prime example of why lots of tradesman just get by, they don't seem themselves as an actual entity with a business model to progress and become successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christ almighty this has become pointless again because people want to argue back and forth over who's right and wrong.
It's simple, for any business starting up or someone who doesn't know how to put themselves out there, this is a form of advertising!
It isn't guaranteed to work no matter what you pay, YOU as a business make it work with the decisions you make. Some people don't need to do it, but if you have just set up or have no contacts this is a means of potentially getting work which if you do well will lead to recommendations whether through your reviews or by the clients telling friends etc.
People can say it's pointless but if advertising isn't an effective means of getting business why do massive company's pay ridiculous money to get there name on a football shirt, boxing ring, racing circuits etc....yes it's a completely different scale but all the same concept.
All start ups will need some form of advertising to produce clients in there early years the only exception is someone time served in there profession who previously worked for someone but has decided to go on there own, they will have contacts from the time they've spent learning what they do and then will poach them from there current employer if possible, most likely with some form of sweetener so again they will be paying one way or another.
This is a prime example of why lots of tradesman just get by, they don't seem themselves as an actual entity with a business model to progress and become successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and the reason its gone back and forth is comments like yours saying its for people no knowing how to put themselves out there, this is how the domestic market is going/gone people like to see feedback from your previous work, type in plasterer in google or yahoo and see what come up.
To dismiss it as you and others are doing is foolish by some snobbery by others, its not chavs from the council estate that are using these sites its professional people

and the reason its gone back and forth is comments like yours saying its for people no knowing how to put themselves out there, this is how the domestic market is going/gone people like to see feedback from your previous work, type in plasterer in google or yahoo and see what come up.
To dismiss it as you and others are doing is foolish by some snobbery by others, its not chavs from the council estate that are using these sites its professional people
I thing jgreen was doing was the opposite of dismissing it and was saying its a valid tool if you can make it work.

12985573_10206278299457739_7434193623187684658_n.jpg

Threads I start always seem to turn into a battleground:)

My builder works for some,,, too many variables,, endless.
Good luck if you find it worth while.

I've always thought they were for desperate people who can't find work and time wasters to get quotes but i read a post by @gps yesterday and i've got to be honest it changed my mind on it.

As tradesmen we wouldn't think about using a site like that because we all know other trades or someone that knows a good sparky for example. A bloke that works in an office might not know any builders so the logical thing for someone like that is to use a site where trades have feedback given on their workmanship by others in a similar postion to him.

I looked at checkatrade yesterday and theres no plasterers in my area so i might give it a try just to see for myself. f**k knows when we'd do it but i'd like to see for myself.

f**k**g snobs!

I've always thought they were for desperate people who can't find work and time wasters to get quotes but i read a post by @gps yesterday and i've got to be honest it changed my mind on it.

As tradesmen we wouldn't think about using a site like that because we all know other trades or someone that knows a good sparky for example. A bloke that works in an office might not know any builders so the logical thing for someone like that is to use a site where trades have feedback given on their workmanship by others in a similar postion to him.

I looked at checkatrade yesterday and theres no plasterers in my area so i might give it a try just to see for myself. f**k knows when we'd do it but i'd like to see for myself.

f**k**g snobs!
There's knw1 in my area at all miles away is nearest plastering firm but wudnt have time to price them anyway let alone do them

You have to speculate to accumulate. Surely it's just another form of advertising in a way? I mean how much is the yellow pages now for the year? A complete waste of money. I have them phone me all the time but they're an anachronism.Things move on. People move on. Try different things. I would walk around with a sandwich board on if we got work from it. It's a bit like betamax and vhs in the eighties with this site work and domestic work malarky. I stopped doing site years ago. Robin Hood couldn't have hit some of the targets. We do mainly domestic and commercial now but they have their own ballaches.

.booooooo!
So wednesday was your friday??:loco:...

oh.Im off all day tomorrow and the next day(y):birra:
Lovely days work in the end, 3 rooms of coving done by 1pm....loads of other trades so a bit of good banter....another two rooms tomorrow so done by 11...weekend is turning out not to bad after all