MULTIFINISH LETS DO OUR BIT

When I was doing schools houses and hospitals before recession it was 3 trowels and onto next hit now 3 trowels and your like wtf that needs at least another one
Years ago I could flatten and two trowels and that would be complete, three trowels now.(minimum)

It’s like you think your going mad I ditched the plazi all the flex trowels and now go all way through with my ss Marshall town and still have days where I think I ain’t happy with it to me we have people on here with anything from 1-40 years experience all over the country and getting same problems so maybe we ain’t as mad as we think
When I think back to the nineties we used to get three sets a Day easily but now we are lucky to get two and that could mean a late one. Not sure where I get my stuff from will send it back but I will ask and I will drop it off. I don’t think it’s right to say it’s cheap so what do you expect, they set the price and have cornered the market so they must make a handsome profit therefore it shouldn’t be s**t even if it is the cheapest

I stopped using bg boards couple years back the boards are awful to cut but may be because they recycle them?
But they won’t admit that but we ones using the stuff we ain’t mugs and know if it’s right or not I remember a job in Devon we was on the rep come out he blamed everything from not a clean whisk to hard water to over mixing to a trowel with slight build up blokes with 30 years experience went mental at him

Yeah the fact that our note would be filed in the bin was my first response. I'll check on the correct email address tomorrow because the guy that I spoke to said that if the merchants don't pass the information on to BG they'll want to know and then 'deal' with the merchants. If you were to go back to the merchants and then didn't hear anything back within, say, a month, just fire an email to BG saying which merchant had ignored your complaint.
I know that none of us has a lot of confidence in this getting sorted, but lets at least give it a go.
Your right Andy, nothing ventured nothing gained and you never know it may just work out, thanks for what you have done

When I think back to the nineties we used to get three sets a Day easily but now we are lucky to get two and that could mean a late one. Not sure where I get my stuff from will send it back but I will ask and I will drop it off. I don’t think it’s right to say it’s cheap so what do you expect, they set the price and have cornered the market so they must make a handsome profit therefore it shouldn’t be s**t even if it is the cheapest
Yeah we was always in for 7 3 hits a day and gone by 2:30/3 latest

Ok this afternoon I had a very (1:18) long phone call with a guy from BG. I felt that it was a very good two sided conversation with someone that both understands our trade and wants to help get Multifinish to a point where I'm (we're) happy with it.
I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of our conversation but, as an overview; he asked me to let him know any and all the issues I felt there were with the product, which I did. There wasn't so much as a hint of a verbal sneer or rubbishing of my opinion. He genuinely seems to want to help and this is where we all come in.
He says that he has asked quite a few spreads that have complained about Multi on the interweb to explain what problems they're having with it and that the two recurring answers are;
a; it's s**t or
b; it's f**k**g s**t
neither of these answers are going to help solve this obvious issue.

So here's what he has asked both me and the rest of you to do.

Each and every time you have, what you consider to be a duff bag, batch or pallet please put a bag or part bag into something like a dustbin bag, basically something that will prevent moisture getting at the plaster.
Return this to the merchant where you bought it, tell them that there's a problem with it and that BG WANT to be made aware of it.
Write on a piece of paper your details and the issues/problems that you're having e.g. 'it's shrinking back from beads/ frames, it's trowelling up all streaky or it's just plain gummy. You decide what you want to say just as long as it isn't, 'it's shite' or 'it's f**k**g shite', those replies just won't help.

Please, please do the above and at least try to help improve things.

I'll be honest, I feel cross and like I've really got the bit between my teeth with this and want to help get things sorted, even if I have to keep on and on at BG to make a difference.

@BritishGypsum @Danny @everycaringbastardoutthere[/QUOTE
Ello Andy good on you m8 I remember the good old days when multi was no different from one bag to the next but there is definitely an issue with the batches over the last few years..
It used to be a pleasure to lay up and trowel but for some unknown reason we find ourselves fighting our way through the sets these days??
I never used to use a sponge float because like most Plasterers will tell us all it’s a bit of a cheating way to finish Plaster??
Yes I agree it can be but over the last few years I’m finding that it helps massively when trowelling up??
It seems to keep each set the same and takes the grease out of the trowel up??
I only liked to use it when laying over artex purely to stop the pattern burning through and achieving a superior finish but I’m finding myself using it over plaster board lately??
Yes I know it’s an easy way out but the way I see it is if I can achieve a better finish with a failing product then it’s happy days..;)

It's all to do with the ingredients it's simple, I was taught 30 years ago and was taught how it was made and what's in it, that's what's changed. @BritishGypsum what's the recipe and what's changed? A lot of stuff does get recycled and there is also a shortage of gypsum I remember hearing about a man made gypsum that was added but never looked into it. Water has also changed a lot depending where abouts and where you get it from, I've not had many bad batches but they are bad and noticeable from mixing to applying. They seem to happen in the colder weather I think so this may be an issue I honestly think they know the problem and keep tweaking it because of the recycle quoters. The boards are shocking compared to knauf I had some pink inside the other month in a 6x3, I did bring it up at the beer over and changed the subject because they were tying themselves in knots lol and I was pissed :) I personally think it's the r cycled stuff they are bulking the bags with :)

Yeah the fact that our note would be filed in the bin was my first response. I'll check on the correct email address tomorrow because the guy that I spoke to said that if the merchants don't pass the information on to BG they'll want to know and then 'deal' with the merchants. If you were to go back to the merchants and then didn't hear anything back within, say, a month, just fire an email to BG saying which merchant had ignored your complaint.
I know that none of us has a lot of confidence in this getting sorted, but lets at least give it a go.

Fair play to you Andy, and fingers crossed it might lead to some notice being taken cause something needs to improve with the consistency of the gear.

Fair play to you Andy, and fingers crossed it might lead to some notice being taken cause something needs to improve with the consistency of the gear.
You reckon i should tell them I’m struggling on my half a bag a day ;):risas:

there is a big thing that people think that BG don't care... but the fact is they do care and they care a lot...

I have 80 bags of multi landing on a Job tomorrow at shepherds Bush london, Rarely have a problem with it. Its not as good as it USed to be i Think , i like using board , i loved unifinish on board, loved using pure also, bG also have a problem with diversity who Just want everyone to sing the praises of the products , they need to engage with the people using it all the time . What was the point of hiring a company who Just want everyone to say everything is rosy when it is not.

Would just like say , these really do help with keeping paddle clean and jet washing all buckets I’ve found also helps , the Rambo builder bucket is spotless, that’s nearly a year old to now
264285C0-D485-4E7E-B284-711F8458F7BD.jpeg

I rarely get a problem and thinking it might be down to mixing? I have noticed from the mix it's a bit odd so mixed a bit more, also noticed the water starts coming to the top so gave it an extra mix or even added a bit more powder to mix with the water that seems to bounce of it and not mix, this is also the problem I've noticed on the wall, it's like the water is sitting on it.

Those were the days m8!
I remember those days well shame how the times change!

Times haven't changed. It's just that you've got old.

I did a cottage recently. In at 6, mixed up 20 bags which I put on straight away. Then after brew, I did another 20 and was gone for 1.

Came back the next day and wanted an early finish, so mixed up 30 bags and had my hand out for the cash at half past ten.

£400, Ker-CHING!

Ok this afternoon I had a very (1:18) long phone call with a guy from BG. I felt that it was a very good two sided conversation with someone that both understands our trade and wants to help get Multifinish to a point where I'm (we're) happy with it.
I'm not going to go into all the ins and outs of our conversation but, as an overview; he asked me to let him know any and all the issues I felt there were with the product, which I did. There wasn't so much as a hint of a verbal sneer or rubbishing of my opinion. He genuinely seems to want to help and this is where we all come in.
He says that he has asked quite a few spreads that have complained about Multi on the interweb to explain what problems they're having with it and that the two recurring answers are;
a; it's s**t or
b; it's f**k**g s**t
neither of these answers are going to help solve this obvious issue.

So here's what he has asked both me and the rest of you to do.

Each and every time you have, what you consider to be a duff bag, batch or pallet please put a bag or part bag into something like a dustbin bag, basically something that will prevent moisture getting at the plaster.
Return this to the merchant where you bought it, tell them that there's a problem with it and that BG WANT to be made aware of it.
Write on a piece of paper your details and the issues/problems that you're having e.g. 'it's shrinking back from beads/ frames, it's trowelling up all streaky or it's just plain gummy. You decide what you want to say just as long as it isn't, 'it's shite' or 'it's f**k**g shite', those replies just won't help.

Please, please do the above and at least try to help improve things.

I'll be honest, I feel cross and like I've really got the bit between my teeth with this and want to help get things sorted, even if I have to keep on and on at BG to make a difference.

@BritishGypsum @Danny @everycaringbastardoutthere

Well doubt it will work,,,,why ?
I had a uni finish fail in october,,,,called bg,,,,asked to leave a sample with merchants. I did ,merchants call me after 2 weeks no uplift after giving all details to bg,,,,, by the way its artex rep who was to uplift my sample...
Also got the impression merchants were pissed off with sample lying at their desk area,,,here is a guy complaing about a product we are selling attitude.,,after more calls i get told guy has picked it up.
Another 4 weeks after uplift i call bg to ask any update on results.
What results,,,,,f### me are you having a laugh,,,,,who picked your sample up,, seriously i dont work at merchants how do i know artex rep,,,,we dont know who it is,,,,we dont have any sample.
So good luck to any of you guys who want to try bag behind counter pish.
Essex andy i know you are trying to help,best of luck with that.

Would just like say , these really do help with keeping paddle clean and jet washing all buckets I’ve found also helps , the Rambo builder bucket is spotless, that’s nearly a year old to now
View attachment 21753
Have you tried leaving your buckets in the water butt over the weekend? A quick brush around and the plaster comes off might save you carting a water squirted about

Seriously though I think it all matters and especially like olican mentions storage I’d never buy these bags from bandq and only take bags from plastic wrapped pallets if the wrapping isn’t on I open one that is or get gear delivered wrapped to my house and store it myself with a cover on top
Bandq never wrapped
Ccf and Travis always wrapped
521A5382-A7A6-4144-9488-2DC00CAD8032.jpeg
3B1DC5EC-10A6-4486-8E31-9F6BBF68A9B0.png

there is a big thing that people think that BG don't care... but the fact is they do care and they care a lot...
Well if enough people on here do their bit we'll find out Danny.
You've said that this forum is important within the industry, well if it's members do as they've been asked it does, in a way, prove you right. If on the other hand they do nothing it'll show that people just like whinging and wining online, I so hope it's the former.

Seriously though I think it all matters and especially like olican mentions storage I’d never buy these bags from bandq and only take bags from plastic wrapped pallets if the wrapping isn’t on I open one that is or get gear delivered wrapped to my house and store it myself with a cover on top
Bandq
Ccf and Travis always wrapped
View attachment 21758 View attachment 21759

6/7weeks since i skimmed a big plot in blackpool ....started plot next door today.
12 bags were left in the garage of old plot.
il use a few tomorrow mate let you know if theres any differnce.
6 weeks out in the garage with freezing and damp conditions is probs the worst storage you could have (y)

I rarely get a problem and thinking it might be down to mixing? I have noticed from the mix it's a bit odd so mixed a bit more, also noticed the water starts coming to the top so gave it an extra mix or even added a bit more powder to mix with the water that seems to bounce of it and not mix, this is also the problem I've noticed on the wall, it's like the water is sitting on it.
I put this on another thread other day that I was doing a mix and same way for years same amount of water to powder but it went really thick added a splash of water and it went really wet handful of powder back to being stiff took me a while to get how I wanted it, always remember as a labourer being told not to over mix it as could problems,really baffled me as I’ve knocked up same way for years

what are all the house bashers using ??
board or multi ??
@Gibbo
@scottie5
@Djr
@essexandy
@zolco
and every other house basher out there ??
im on board.
but wouldnt mind a change to see what multi is like.
any brummie house bashers ??
surely us lads use more bg products on a daily basis than domestic lads.
and were all nationwide.

It's all to do with the ingredients it's simple, I was taught 30 years ago and was taught how it was made and what's in it, that's what's changed. @BritishGypsum what's the recipe and what's changed? A lot of stuff does get recycled and there is also a shortage of gypsum I remember hearing about a man made gypsum that was added but never looked into it. Water has also changed a lot depending where abouts and where you get it from, I've not had many bad batches but they are bad and noticeable from mixing to applying. They seem to happen in the colder weather I think so this may be an issue I honestly think they know the problem and keep tweaking it because of the recycle quoters. The boards are shocking compared to knauf I had some pink inside the other month in a 6x3, I did bring it up at the beer over and changed the subject because they were tying themselves in knots lol and I was pissed :) I personally think it's the r cycled stuff they are bulking the bags with :)
I've got to say Flynny, I believe you're bang on. If you are they're certainly not letting on are they.

what are all the house bashers using ??
board or multi ??
@Gibbo
@scottie5
@Djr
@essexandy
@zolco
and every other house basher out there ??
im on board.
but wouldnt mind a change to see what multi is like.
any brummie house bashers ??
surely us lads use more bg products on a daily basis than domestic lads.
and were all nationwide.
I'm not a house basher mate, far from it. But I prefer board, but really like the thistle spray hand applied, even better 50/50 with board and spray finish