Multi finish problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feckin ell you still havin probs marshy :-0
Can't believe this threads still going, reckon marshy's on the wind up lol.

I'm not still having problems mate, but I am still getting answers. @carlos my paddle is only 120mm, it does mix up pretty quick but a bigger paddle would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing I have noticed, I have no idea why I didn't notice it before, I'm talking about the instructions on the back of the bag.
it says to apply your first coat, 1mm thickness, then the second coat also 1mm thickness, so the plaster is 2mm thick before you start to trowel it up. after you have troweled it up three times there would be no plaster left on the wall or ceiling. if the instructions on the bag state that you should apply two 1mm thick coats, why are angle beads made for a 3mm coat?
I have never followed such instructions, but are they wrong or am I?

You shouldn't take any plaster off when troweling up.

a bigger paddle will help you mix quicker and avoid over mixing when knocking up a bag or more in 1 go. 160mm is a good all round size.

I do know what I am doing. I just had no idea why two bags of multi finish mixed the same way on two different days had gone off as quick as they did. so quick that I hardly had time to get it on the ceiling.

Put this in your phone book, British Gypsum Technical 0844 8001991

The other thing I have noticed, I have no idea why I didn't notice it before, I'm talking about the instructions on the back of the bag.
it says to apply your first coat, 1mm thickness, then the second coat also 1mm thickness, so the plaster is 2mm thick before you start to trowel it up. after you have troweled it up three times there would be no plaster left on the wall or ceiling. if the instructions on the bag state that you should apply two 1mm thick coats, why are angle beads made for a 3mm coat?
I have never followed such instructions, but are they wrong or am I?

I just don't get these questions mate. You've been to college and yet they don't appear to have given you the very basic foundations to built off.
The college should have taught you the "right" ways of doing things. Assuming you were taught using British Gypsum materials then they should have taught you inline with the BG instructions for each material used.
I was told to learn things using the "correct" methods first and then as you gain experience you can start to use the little shortcuts and tricks of the trade as and when appropriate.
As Flynny said we've all used the same mix for both coats many times, but that's because we have the experience to know how the plaster will behave. Just the same as when I deliberately mix to much for the first coat so I've got some left to wack into the second coat to speed it up a bit, I not going to be surprised when it starts to tighten up whilst laying in.
Out of interest which college did you attend and for how long?

You shouldn't take any plaster off when troweling up.

a bigger paddle will help you mix quicker and avoid over mixing when knocking up a bag or more in 1 go. 160mm is a good all round size.

I don't mean you actually take the plaster off, but you always end up with a bit coming off on your trowel.
I have been using the same mixer for a while, maybe a bigger one would be better. @essexandy I went to college for 6 months, obviously I can't tell you which one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean you actually take the plaster off, but you always end up with a bit coming off on your trowel.
I have been using the same mixer for a while, maybe a bigger one would be better. @essexandy I went to college for 6 months, obviously I can't tell you which one.

Ahh I think I may have found the root of your problems then. You went to college for six months but after a rigorous Google search that
Nailswater would be proud of I couldn't find any colleges offering a six month course. Are you sure you're not supposed to still be there now?

If plaster is coming off on your trowel you are definitely doing something wrong. try holding the trowel a bit flatter to the wall.

Marshall, I've been plastering 26 years and since coming onto the forum realised been doing things wrong sometimes so have took advice and the stick also.
only trouble is I've got to go back and put 3,172 jobs right!:RpS_wink:

The bags say you should do the second coat thicker if you go by by bg so someones on the wind up or you're just thick

Just goes to prove you don't learn fcuk all in college!
my old gaffer never took college boys on and when asked why he'd reply "no 1. They can't mix! He'd take boys on and sart them on the mixer and labouring then give them the tools.
He is my dad and Ifollow the same principle!

If plaster is coming off on your trowel you are definitely doing something wrong. try holding the trowel a bit flatter to the wall.

You mean when you flatten a wall or ceiling, you don't get any plaster on your trowel?
I'm not talking about a lot, but I do get a bit.

Its easy bud. Small ceiling.......1.Knock up enough plaster for first coat. 2.Apply first coat approx 5 - 10 minutes. 3. Clean out bucket while first coat picks up. 4. Flatten first coat. 5. Knock up second coat (slightly wetter if preferred). 6. Apply second coat approx 5 mins. 7. Clean out buckets. 8. Flatten second coat and begin finishing process!!!!

I was never taught to flatten the first coat before you apply the second coat, or to flatten the second coat before you start to finish a wall or ceiling. I was taught to flatten as you go. this has left me rather confused, which is right here?
I know this seems like going back to basics, but I was told at college that you have 20 minutes to get your first coat on and start the second coat before the plaster where you started goes off. if you only have 20 minutes and you have a big area to cover, how can you get the whole area covered with one coat and go over it all again to flatten it in 20 minutes.

I'm just trying to clear a few things up, I'm not quite sure everything was fully explained when I was in college.
I haven't had any problems with my work, but based on what I have learned since finishing college, it has got me thinking.

go back to college n knee cap the bloke who taught you ,first mix chuck in the water mix forget the b*****ks on the bag those bags are only good for taking a dump in n wiping yer ass on the back throw on first coat mix next bag up flatten first coat as you lay down viola on trowel up job done break out 3litres of cider undress and eat a cheese cob while dancing to disco inferno

I was never taught to flatten the first coat before you apply the second coat, or to flatten the second coat before you start to finish a wall or ceiling. I was taught to flatten as you go. this has left me rather confused, which is right here?
I know this seems like going back to basics, but I was told at college that you have 20 minutes to get your first coat on and start the second coat before the plaster where you started goes off. if you only have 20 minutes and you have a big area to cover, how can you get the whole area covered with one coat and go over it all again to flatten it in 20 minutes.

To be honest mate the best thing to do would be to get some hours in with a decent spread. The instructions on the bag don't mean diddly squat. Its all dependent on suction, temperature, age of plaster etc etc. The more work of this nature you do the more you will understand it and being shown by someone who knows their stuff is the best option if you are struggling. Sounds like the college tutor was a total numpty to me!!!!!

To be honest mate the best thing to do would be to get some hours in with a decent spread. The instructions on the bag don't mean diddly squat. Its all dependent on suction, temperature, age of plaster etc etc. The more work of this nature you do the more you will understand it and being shown by someone who knows their stuff is the best option if you are struggling. Sounds like the college tutor was a total numpty to me!!!!!

Thanks for the help mate. I know the instructions on the bag mean nothing, which is probably why the tutor I had never explained them.
it does say on the bag they are only a guideline, to be honest I don't even think they are that.
I have learned quite a lot since I finished college, but it probably doesn't help that a few bits of vital information were not explained.

Marshall mate, the best thing you can do is forget everything your tutor in college said to you (he obviously failed himself on the tools).
get yourself on site with a good spread, watch, learn, take in, do your bit and you'l get it in!
"my tutor said this and my tutor said that" is a load of b*ll***s! How many hrs on a job has he done? Get the stuff mixed to the concistency you like, get it on, finish it up and job done! If you want to call yourself a plasterer you have a long way to go my friend but then again so did I when I started so there is no shame in asking for help (whatever your skill) we all mess up sometimes and there's no shame in that, just as long as the job is done good in the end.
with a bit of luck this thread will soon be over!

Marshall mate, the best thing you can do is forget everything your tutor in college said to you (he obviously failed himself on the tools).
get yourself on site with a good spread, watch, learn, take in, do your bit and you'l get it in!
"my tutor said this and my tutor said that" is a load of b*ll***s! How many hrs on a job has he done? Get the stuff mixed to the concistency you like, get it on, finish it up and job done! If you want to call yourself a plasterer you have a long way to go my friend but then again so did I when I started so there is no shame in asking for help (whatever your skill) we all mess up sometimes and there's no shame in that, just as long as the job is done good in the end.
with a bit of luck this thread will soon be over!

Not long after finishing at college, I went to another college for a few days to take my CSCS practice tests and the actual test. they were rather shocked to hear I had just finished a 6 month plastering course as their own plastering course was 12 months. I wish I had known this before I started.

Not long after finishing at college, I went to another college for a few days to take my CSCS practice tests and the actual test. they were rather shocked to hear I had just finished a 6 month plastering course as their own plastering course was 12 months. I wish I had known this before I started.

Come on marshy if you're for real, which I really doubt, say which college you did your six month course at. There's absolutely no reason you couldn't say and you could be saving some other people looking in from getting the sh#te quality of teaching you suffered.
If you're for real that is.

Come on marshy if you're for real, which I really doubt, say which college you did your six month course at. There's absolutely no reason you couldn't say and you could be saving some other people looking in from getting the sh#te quality of teaching you suffered.
If you're for real that is.

Found this one that does 6 months Andy which says:

Whether you study one of our short yet intensive City and Guilds six week courses, or a longer Diploma qualification over six months both our plastering courses and bricklaying courses are designed to give each student maximum individual attention and are suitable for students of all levels. :rolleyes)

They're in the North West & The Midlands
Marshy boy said he's from stockport. :RpS_wink:

Plastering Courses | Bricklaying Courses | Plumbing Courses at NSPP

Found this one that does 6 months Andy which says:

Whether you study one of our short yet intensive City and Guilds six week courses, or a longer Diploma qualification over six months both our plastering courses and bricklaying courses are designed to give each student maximum individual attention and are suitable for students of all levels. :rolleyes)

They're in the North West & The Midlands
Marshy boy said he's from stockport. :RpS_wink:

Plastering Courses | Bricklaying Courses | Plumbing Courses at NSPP

See this is why you're the head of an international detective agency and I'm just a lowly scummy spread.
Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.