Multi finish problems.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall

Has anyone had any problems with thistle multi finish recently?
yesterday I plasterboarded the ceiling in the spare bedroom in my grans house. today I skimmed the ceiling using multi finish, normally I use board finish but multi finish had been ordered so I used it.
I only needed one bag so I worked out of the bucket instead of using a mortar board.
before mixing I noticed on the bag that it says to mix it with 11.5 liters of water, which was quite a surprise considering that I mixed up using just over 9 liters of water and the mix was far too sloppy.
I know how to mix multi finish, I have never mixed it with the stated amount of water and until now I have never had a problem. it also felt a bit gritty when I was using it. I could hear a grinding noise on my hawk, almost like I was using S+C.
I also noticed that it went off far too quick, I was about halfway through the second coat and the plaster was already going off in the bucket. I mean going off to such an extent that I could only just spread it.
has anyone else had any problems like this? does anyone know why I have encountered such problems?

Did you use the same mix to second coat or a fresh mix?
9 litres for a full bag WTF?? :RpS_unsure:

I only needed one bag, I had about two bucket trowels worth of plaster left in the bucket after.
so yeah, both coats were done with the same mix.
I'm being serious about the water too, I used a touch over 9 liters of water and the mix was far too sloppy, and gritty.

That's why it went off then, second coating with same mix, (if you didn't get it on quick sharp) how long was it before you put second coat on?
not saying you can't do it this way, I do it myself not all the time though :)
but depends how much you gotta get on, plus temperature, windows open etc.

I know if i've got a small job & I mix a bag with say 10litres of water I still got a bit of plaster left in the bag.

Usually a nearly full builders bucket of water per bag.
So feck knows about your 9 litres mate the water must be wetter where you are :RpS_unsure:
Where are you from by the way?

Last edited:
That's why it went off then, second coating with same mix, (if you didn't get it on quick sharp) how long was it before you put second coat on?
not saying you can't do it this way, I do it myself not all the time though :)
but depends how much you gotta get on, plus temperature, windows open etc.

I know if i've got a small job & I mix a bag with say 10litres of water I still got a bit of plaster left in the bag.

Usually a nearly full builders bucket of water per bag.
So deck knows about your 9 litres mate the water must be wetter where you are :RpS_unsure:
Where are you from by the way?

It was only a small ceiling, as I said one bag was enough for both coats. but I don't mean it went off too quickly on the ceiling, it was going off in the bucket before it even got to the ceiling. I have never experienced that before. the first coat went on fine, but the plaster in the bucket was going off as I was putting the second coat on.
the second coat went on pretty much as soon as I had finished the first coat, taking just a few seconds to clean my trowel and hawk.
it was fairly warm in the room and outside, but I did have the window open.
if you are using a nearly full builders bucket of water per bag, you are mixing the same as me. I use a 3 gallon/9 liter builders bucket as a measure before pouring it in to my mixing bucket.
I'm from Stockport by the way :)

The water quantity needed for multi seems to vary a fair bit, it seems as the bags get older the less water they take, just a guess but maybe powder picks up moisture from atmosphere esp if bags stored outside therefor taking less gauging water. Multi is inconsistent at the best of times. Although to be fair to B.G the multi we are using at the minute is the nuts for a change.

There some small gallons your fitting in that bucket. If you only have one bag always better to start with less water and add to it rather than ending up with pissy plaster. It's probably took you longer to put on as it was to wet as by the sounds of your post you havnt got a jar of glue. Also the draft from having the window open will make the plaster go off quicker did it not peel on the ceiling as well?

It was only a small ceiling, as I said one bag was enough for both coats. but I don't mean it went off too quickly on the ceiling, it was going off in the bucket before it even got to the ceiling. I have never experienced that before. the first coat went on fine, but the plaster in the bucket was going off as I was putting the second coat on.
the second coat went on pretty much as soon as I had finished the first coat, taking just a few seconds to clean my trowel and hawk.
it was fairly warm in the room and outside, but I did have the window open.
if you are using a nearly full builders bucket of water per bag, you are mixing the same as me. I use a 3 gallon/9 liter builders bucket as a measure before pouring it in to my mixing bucket.
I'm from Stockport by the way :)

Yeah that's what I meant too about it going off in the bucket,
just do a separate mix for 2nd coat if you can't get the 2 coats on out same mix in time.
Plus warm room & window open won't help.
A 3 gallon bucket isn't 9 litres mate have a look :RpS_wink:

1 gallon 4.45 litres.. 3 gallons 13.35 litres

dont think I've ever read what water content is needed to mix multi :RpS_confused:

ive always just thought half a bucket will give near a full one..

ive been using multi for years not used board finish because I was always of the understanding that it was to fatty and multi was much creamier. Gonna try some board finish to see what it's like..

any else used board finish?

There some small gallons your fitting in that bucket. If you only have one bag always better to start with less water and add to it rather than ending up with pissy plaster. It's probably took you longer to put on as it was to wet as by the sounds of your post you havnt got a jar of glue. Also the draft from having the window open will make the plaster go off quicker did it not peel on the ceiling as well?

It didn't take me that long to put it on the ceiling and there wasn't much of a draft from the window.
I think I have only used multi finish a hand full of times, but even though it went off rather quickly in the bucket, it seemed to trowel up like a dream. I don't think I have ever had a bag of multi that has troweled up so well.
as it happens I think I did put a touch too much water in, not something I have done with board finish but then this is new territory for me.
oh well, everything went ok and I will know better for next time. time to check my buckets I think.

Yeah that's what I meant too about it going off in the bucket,
just do a separate mix for 2nd coat if you can't get the 2 coats on out same mix in time.
Plus warm room & window open won't help.
A 3 gallon bucket isn't 9 litres mate have a look :RpS_wink:

If it is a small job, I have always managed to get both coats out of one mix. I'm guessing you would have to be pretty quick making the mix for the second coat, or you would need someone mixing for you while you are putting on the first coat.
sadly that isn't an option for me as I'm working alone.

blimey i use about 15 litres to a bag and it knocks up and spreads a treat everytime

thats what i mix for what ever were very rarely on a job thats only one bag of multi so we usually knock up at least 3 at a time and when i guage it out i just measure out 3 buckets at 15ltrs throw it all in the big tub and mix away.......buuut even when i do, do a small job say one bag 15 ltrs gives me a nice creamy mix, i have it so that when you run your bucket trowel round the outside of the bucket the mix just slumps back to the edge but not all of it

I'm not a diyer spunky. I don't use multi finish that much and it's been a long time since I have actually used it.

Well you definitely sound like you've got as much clue with plastering as those bloody Range Rover drivers have at reversing.

I'm not a diyer spunky. I don't use multi finish that much and it's been a long time since I have actually used it.

its not that different from board finish and you don't even know how much water to put in a bucket which sort of sends signals to the average plasterer that you haven't got a ******* clue what you're doing

I use 13.8 litres to a bucket but normally 24kg in that bucket, the extra kg if I want it stiffer, but other wise 14.2 litres to a bag

Asif as if you measure out the water! Or anyone else for that matter just bang half a tub of water in then knock it up and get it on! Lol

1 gallon 4.45 litres.. 3 gallons 13.35 litres

dont think I've ever read what water content is needed to mix multi :RpS_confused:

ive always just thought half a bucket will give near a full one..

ive been using multi for years not used board finish because I was always of the understanding that it was to fatty and multi was much creamier. Gonna try some board finish to see what it's like..

any else used board finish?

Board finish all the way mate and overskim much better to use

its not that different from board finish and you don't even know how much water to put in a bucket which sort of sends signals to the average plasterer that you haven't got a ******* clue what you're doing

I made one small mistake while I was in a rush. something I bet we have all done at some point.
as it happens, if a slightly sloppy mix is all I have to worry about in my life then I guess I've got it made.

12.5 litres exact and not a drop more or the boy wonder is getting roasted..........:RpS_thumbsup:

So how much water would you need for a small half bucket or a big quarter bucket cos everytime i ask a lab for one of these they go into melt down :RpS_unsure:

So how much water would you need for a small half bucket or a big quarter bucket cos everytime i ask a lab for one of these they go into melt down :RpS_unsure:

Thats why ya gotta roast them raggles..............:RpS_wink:

Only use multi in these parts never see board finish down the yard.
And one builders bucket of water to one bag unless im doing a ceilings then il use a bit less or add a couple of handfulls extra of multi (nothing like accurate guaging ay:RpS_wink:)

Has anyone had any problems with thistle multi finish recently?
yesterday I plasterboarded the ceiling in the spare bedroom in my grans house. today I skimmed the ceiling using multi finish, normally I use board finish but multi finish had been ordered so I used it.
I only needed one bag so I worked out of the bucket instead of using a mortar board.
before mixing I noticed on the bag that it says to mix it with 11.5 liters of water, which was quite a surprise considering that I mixed up using just over 9 liters of water and the mix was far too sloppy.
I know how to mix multi finish, I have never mixed it with the stated amount of water and until now I have never had a problem. it also felt a bit gritty when I was using it. I could hear a grinding noise on my hawk, almost like I was using S+C.
I also noticed that it went off far too quick, I was about halfway through the second coat and the plaster was already going off in the bucket. I mean going off to such an extent that I could only just spread it.
has anyone else had any problems like this? does anyone know why I have encountered such problems?

How long did it take to put the first coat on just out of interest????

Status
Not open for further replies.