Multi finish problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asif as if you measure out the water! Or anyone else for that matter just bang half a tub of water in then knock it up and get it on! Lol

i actually do use a bucket to guage the water out with i cnt stand just banging it straight in the mixing bucket and hoping its enough, i have marks that i have made up the inside of the bucket that i know exactly how much water will do how much dust. for instance if were knocking up in the big tub i have i want it full to the brim cos that extra bit could be an extra wall or set of reveals that can go on, so i know that 2 buckets filled to 15 ltrs and the 3rd filled to the brim will mix about 3 and a half bags and the bucket will be up to the brim when we are done

@SpankySouthport i dont think there is much difference in time its better for levelling as it firms up well so you can put it on a bit thicker without it sliding all over the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did it take to put the first coat on just out of interest????

I would say roughly about 20 minutes, maybe a bit less.
I'm hardly slow, and with the mix being a bit wetter than it should have been, I was quite surprised that it went off as quick as it did.
once it was on the ceiling it was fine, the problem started in the bucket.

I am like a chef, I know the quantities through experience and I mix plaster how I make love. A little bit here a handful there and one minute later it is all done.:RpS_cool:

Guidance from BG is 11ltr to a bag of multi or board and 15ltr for hardwall, but it should be how you like to use it no right or wrong in my eyes long as finish is good and done properly.

Guidance from BG is 11ltr to a bag of multi or board and 15ltr for hardwall, but it should be how you like to use it no right or wrong in my eyes long as finish is good and done properly.

That was my point exactly. ok so my mix was a bit sloppy, but the finish was as good as any other job I have done.

I've had probs with the Multi too, today I had to skip 16 buckets of it cos it was either too wet or too stiff :-0

would this powedred water not blow away if there is a gust of wind through the window ? and whats the drying time for it ?

mate you keep saying 9 litres make a really wet mix but a builders bucket is 14.5 litres a think n a use a builders bucket to a bag of multi which a think most pple do so how isthat a wet mix it much hae been stiff as **** what conistency u mixing it to

Mate I don't keep saying anything.
I don't know why I thought a builders bucket was 9 litres.

I was simply taught to fill the bucket to a certain level for half a bag and a certain level for a full bag, no actuall quantity of liquid was mentioned.
it may sound silly but thats how i was taught.

I would say roughly about 20 minutes, maybe a bit less.
I'm hardly slow, and with the mix being a bit wetter than it should have been, I was quite surprised that it went off as quick as it did.
once it was on the ceiling it was fine, the problem started in the bucket.
20 minutes for a small ceiling first coat..get out of it.you done it before?

I'm not a diyer spunky. I don't use multi finish that much and it's been a long time since I have actually used it.
A true plasterer will tell you there's not that much difference between multi and board plaster is plaster and if you were using the same mix for both coats why not addva bit of water to mix before second coat then it will stay workable in the bucket

anyone that says they are a plasterer that can't gauge a bucket of finish is a furkin idiot, end of

anyone that says they are a plasterer that can't gauge a bucket of finish is a furkin idiot, end of

I can gauge a bucket of finish.
as silly as it sounds, I was never told the exact amount of water (as in how many litres) required to mix plaster. the tutor who taught me simply put a mark on the water buckets and said fill it to that level, that will be enough water.
I didn't know how many litres it was, I just knew that if I filled my bucket to the level my tutor had marked for me then my mix would be fine.
I have been plastering for 3 years and this is the first time I would say I have made a mistake. but why should I give a toss what you think? I am happy with my work and so is my boss.
now, feck off you useless penis end.

am not saying out mate rite answear this did you put a full bucket off water to a bag?

I was in a bit of a rush, not thinking straight etc and filled my mixing bucket with more water than I should have done. I didn't realise this at first, but now it seems obvious.
still, there is no reason for the rest of the forum to be on my back over such a simple mistake. haven't we all made mistakes at somepoint in our plastering career? I know for a fact the everyone will have made mistakes, anyone who says otherwise is full of shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.