Monorex Headache

Gutted

Hi Guys,

I'm not a plasterer just a customer and need some info because I'm right out of my depth so go easy on me!

Just had new grey spray painted UPVC windows fitted and bottom half of house rendered with monorex (top half is to be clad). big problem is that grey paint has stained really badly after rendering and even the aluminium door strips have oxidised.

Bare walls were coated with Micro Gobetis 3000 and some not all of the windows masked off very poorly with some sort of loose blue cling film (no masking tape). Application days were boiling hot (30 degrees).

When the job was finished the renderers wiped the frames down with WD40 as they said this was standard practice. I was asked to 'Mist' the render with water several times to stop it drying out too fast.

After a few days the WD40 was wearing off and the cills were covered in dust so I washed the windows down with warm water and a squirt of Fairy Liquid. when it dried the frames and cills (mainly at the bottom) were covered in stains and badly scratched in places.

The windows and monorex have cost me a lot of money and the company that has applied the Monorex have told me that there is nothing in any of there products used that would cause staining or scratches and basically don't want to know.

Anyone have any ideas as to how this could have happened? Thank you in advance.

if the windows werent covered then its down to thw spreads to pay to rectify..
have you had a dusty site prior to them turning up? sometimes washing with sand in air acts as sand paper.

theres a company called surface medics that can rectify but down to you who can cover the costs

Hi Guys,

I'm not a plasterer just a customer and need some info because I'm right out of my depth so go easy on me!

Just had new grey spray painted UPVC windows fitted and bottom half of house rendered with monorex (top half is to be clad). big problem is that grey paint has stained really badly after rendering and even the aluminium door strips have oxidised.

Bare walls were coated with Micro Gobetis 3000 and some not all of the windows masked off very poorly with some sort of loose blue cling film (no masking tape). Application days were boiling hot (30 degrees).

When the job was finished the renderers wiped the frames down with WD40 as they said this was standard practice. I was asked to 'Mist' the render with water several times to stop it drying out too fast.

After a few days the WD40 was wearing off and the cills were covered in dust so I washed the windows down with warm water and a squirt of Fairy Liquid. when it dried the frames and cills (mainly at the bottom) were covered in stains and badly scratched in places.

The windows and monorex have cost me a lot of money and the company that has applied the Monorex have told me that there is nothing in any of there products used that would cause staining or scratches and basically don't want to know.

Anyone have any ideas as to how this could have happened? Thank you in advance.
Can you put pictures up? Sometimes the efflorescence can cause staining, a bloke who i’ve got to do a job for has it all down his bifolds, stained the frames and glass. Nightmare to get off. Nasty sand up north.

Sorry, should have posted photos with original post. I'm sure this is something to do with the contractors as the windows were in perfect condition before the Monorex render. The windows at the top of the house are still in perfect unmarked condition. Will post above as option to upload photos is not working....photos to follow.

20180728_133026.jpg
20180728_133759.jpg
20180728_133859.jpg

if the windows werent covered then its down to thw spreads to pay to rectify..
have you had a dusty site prior to them turning up? sometimes washing with sand in air acts as sand paper.

theres a company called surface medics that can rectify but down to you who can cover the costs

Dan,
I'm sure the scratches were caused by the dried lumps of monorex that were stuck to the cills which was removed by rubbing with a rag sprayed with WD40

That's a pain with painted uPVC units, you can get a decent decorator out to spray it with kolorbond in your choice of colour

Dan,
I'm sure the scratches were caused by the dried lumps of monorex that were stuck to the cills which was removed by rubbing with a rag sprayed with WD40
You said spray painted windows.

The problem I have is this...
How did you expect the renderers to properly mask the windows when (from experience) any masking tape will peel off the spray paint?

I think you've suffered the lesser of two evils.

Either the lads try their best to clean up sprayed windows, with a few inevitable scratches and stains or they mask up the windows properly and rip the paint off...which would look worse in my opinion.

You said spray painted windows.

The problem I have is this...
How did you expect the renderers to properly mask the windows when (from experience) any masking tape will peel off the spray paint?

I think you've suffered the lesser of two evils.

Either the lads try their best to clean up sprayed windows, with a few inevitable scratches and stains or they mask up the windows properly and rip the paint off...which would look worse in my opinion.
The company owner told me that the windows would be fully masked with tape and polythene so the frames would be protected as his company had rendered around sprayed frames many times before. He said they would use some tape made by 3m. The guys doing the rendering said they were not using tape as it took too long to put on.
I've had a look at some photos I took while the house was been rendered and it's clear that the primer was put on before the windows were loosely covered in polythene.

The company owner told me that the windows would be fully masked with tape and polythene so the frames would be protected as his company had rendered around sprayed frames many times before. He said they would use some tape made by 3m. The guys doing the rendering said they were not using tape as it took too long to put on.
I've had a look at some photos I took while the house was been rendered and it's clear that the primer was put on before the windows were loosely covered in polythene.
Fair play then if they said they'd done it many times before...I wouldn't touch sprayed windows now

Any chance you can take a picture of the front door standing back so can see the door as a whole instead of zoomed right into the corner , thing i found with all the tapes is the orange would probably as said rip the paint off , the blue is crap in heat and again would of probably caused more problems getting it off and the zooming right in to complain about a small area I feel is not fair
Diluted white vinegar might be worth a try it’s sold at Wilkinson and even a light sand on the aluminium door strip

Any chance you can take a picture of the front door standing back so can see the door as a whole instead of zoomed right into the corner , thing i found with all the tapes is the orange would probably as said rip the paint off , the blue is crap in heat and again would of probably caused more problems getting it off and the zooming right in to complain about a small area I feel is not fair
Even low tack masking tape ripped the paint off the last one we did.

Even low tack masking tape ripped the paint off the last one we did.
I swapped to a green one mate from Rambo it’s strong but soft and doesn’t curl up in the sun and rips off in one piece also a found a yellow one that’s in between the strength of of orange and blue from a place in Nottingham

Personally I'd say that if they'd used a suitable tape and it then pulled the paint off the frames, then the client would have a case with the window manufacturers because they clearly wouldn't have been suitable for a new build. To not mask the framed at all, for whatever reason, then leaves the spread responsible for the staining and scratches.
Oh and for a renderer to say that there's nothing in their render that could cause scratches is laughable.

looking at the pictures yes there is a couple of scratches. but i have seen this pattern staining before which is caused by detergents being used which is not recommended to be used on sprayed or aluminium frames aparently...

i have never heard of spraying monorex with water before
did u have to do this with or without the windows taped?

I swapped to a green one mate from Rambo it’s strong but soft and doesn’t curl up in the sun and rips off in one piece also a found a yellow one that’s in between the strength of of orange and blue from a place in Nottingham
Personally mate I'm out of the rendering game now apart from a few select regular builders I work for...they can source their own tapes lol

Personally mate I'm out of the rendering game now apart from a few select regular builders I work for...they can source their own tapes lol

Forgot about your machine mashed up , sorry to read this mate chin up stuff the lot of them

looking at the pictures yes there is a couple of scratches. but i have seen this pattern staining before which is caused by detergents being used which is not recommended to be used on sprayed or aluminium frames aparently...

i have never heard of spraying monorex with water before
did u have to do this with or without the windows taped?
I was asked to spray it after the job was completed and the 'protective' polythene taken off. It was a very hot day when the monorex was applied and the contractor was worried that it would dry out too quickly after he left. He asked me to 'mist' it with water every hour until the sun went down.

Fair play gutted

Have you tried the diluted white vinegar I suggested it might bring them up good

Fair play gutted

Have you tried the diluted white vinegar I suggested it might bring them up good
I'm waiting for the window manufacturer to come and inspect the frames for their opinion. The rendering firm have suggested that they may be at fault because of the recent high temperatures may have affected the paint. (Àlthough the upstairs windows are as good as new as the house has only been rendered on the ground floor. Thanks for the suggestion the white vinegar did not help, Think I'm looking at a 're paint job at the bottom of the windows.