Longest time off the tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the longest amount of time you have been off the tools and why?

I came off them in 2009 and only do odd bits here and there now...

I came off to go travelling and when I returned I was not very well... luckily a few other ventures took off and I have not really needed to go back....

But after today I felt a bit rusty and wondered how many others have had a big gap in their careers?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Two years around 2000 office based as a technical author writing manuals. Then three years as a project manager from 2007. Both times got fed up with office bullshit.

Two years around 2000 office based as a technical author writing manuals. Then three years as a project manager from 2007. Both times got fed up with office bullshit.
I could never work in an actual office... too much politics. What manuals where your writing?

I ache like hell this morning

Screenshot_2015-11-13-19-28-43.png

What manuals where your writing?

Operator and repair/maintenance manuals for digital and analogue control systems. Even ended up doing some stuff for JLR. Now there's a company that loves a meeting!

I've been off and on for years but longest was 2&1/2 years in 2009 when this country crashed. Same as my uncle who was on site from 14 yes old till 49. He worked through the last recessions and the troubles up north but once this recession hit, he sat in the house for near 2 years, picked up his tools and fcuked off down under to NZ where he's been flat out again.

Cut eye ball ..Doctors put contact lense on it carried on.cut straight through tendon on left hand had 8 weeks off.knee cap drained and scar tissue removed 4 weeks off.

Dislocated my shoulder after landing a big job fs. 13 weeks sitting at home wiped off my head on painkillers. I now have insurance

Yeah most of it although the money was terrible.
Had a week off every few weeks, or worked 4 days etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad! You where lucky then because quite a lot of us in this game got fcuk all, esp over west where I am. This part of tge country shut down, ghost estates everywhere! Depressing times they were and hope to fcuk I never experience them again

I think a lot of lads saw tough times in the last few years I know I did.I've noticed lately with lads on jobs the old swagger and attitude coming back,complaining and whining.I'm delighted to be busy again and have decided that next year is going to be a great year whatever it takes.

Did you work all over that recession here?

this last recession we had work right through. we have made our small business recession proof with a large number of private customers. we now only take on work for 2 builders whose work we have done for over 40 years.
in previous recessions when we use to do site work we had to take on contracts in the netherlands.

Your private customers wouldn't have been worth nothing to you in the last recession in Ireland, nobody had a pot to piss in, and if they did they were frightened to death of spending it.
The worst recession I recall in UK was 1990? Where interest rates hit 17?% but that was a baby in comparison to the recent Irish one.

this last recession we had work right through. we have made our small business recession proof with a large number of private customers. we now only take on work for 2 builders whose work we have done for over 40 years.
in previous recessions when we use to do site work we had to take on contracts in the netherlands.

Are you on the emerald isle or across the big pond?

Your private customers wouldn't have been worth nothing to you in the last recession in Ireland, nobody had a pot to piss in, and if they did they were frightened to death of spending it.
The worst recession I recall in UK was 1990? Where interest rates hit 17?% but that was a baby in comparison to the recent Irish one.

The 90s recession didn't effect me much as I was young. I used to ask all the older ones on site what recessions were like because all I ever knew was work and growth. I'm sorry I ever spoke of it because when it hit, by fcuk did it hit. One month you where working, next month all sites closed down. Madness!! Were still not out of the woods yet but where I am, its still tight enough. Can't wait to the day its finally over because with 4 kids, one does worry.

Lymph node in groin removed 8 weeks
Cruciate ligament through footy 12 weeks
Shoulder op 12 weeks. @Ashleyscoob

How you getting on @Plasterers1StopShop ryan after your rugby injury?
Lymph node in groin removed 8 weeks
Cruciate ligament through footy 12 weeks
Shoulder op 12 weeks. @Ashleyscoob

How you getting on @Plasterers1StopShop ryan after your rugby injury?
would have loved to have only 12 weeks off with mine but 6 months min

How did you all survive without a wage?

I had some other ventures when I was off but even then it was a struggle

How did you all survive without a wage?

I had some other ventures when I was off but even then it was a struggle

The Mrs job kept us going. Thank god.

In the depths of the recession I earned nothing by going to work as any money I got basically covered my expenses & paid the childminder, just!

That said I was of the opinion that if I sat at home, I'd stay sat at home when things started to pick up.
I'm now reaping the benefits of keeping my face at work. And it's only just starting [emoji2]

I got involved in a fire equipment business, running fire safety courses, selling/installing equip. Annually certifying prrmises. You think plastering is a pain on the hole till you try getting paid for stuff people don't even no want.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

i did know that i was going to off work for a while as mine was a planned op.
to earn money i purchased items at auctions and sold them on to make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.