Labouring, starting out

Members online

No members online now.
Lodan is a good example of how it can work if you get stuck in. Bloodymindedness and hard graft and he's cracked it, but he's self employed.
In your situation I think you'd struggle for employment. Like has been said already the extra cost of pensions, holidays, sickness, employers insurances, PPE etc it's just too much for someone who's minimum wage will be about £70 a day. Can get a young lad for under £25 a day as an apprentice. I couldn't make it pay personally.

Lodan is a good example of how it can work if you get stuck in. Bloodymindedness and hard graft and he's cracked it, but he's self employed.
In your situation I think you'd struggle for employment. Like has been said already the extra cost of pensions, holidays, sickness, employers insurances, PPE etc it's just too much for someone who's minimum wage will be about £70 a day. Can get a young lad for under £25 a day as an apprentice. I couldn't make it pay personally.
Thank you for your response, I would be happy to go self employed but I didn't know where to start to do that.
I've offered my services for free labour for now, whilst doing that the plasterer and myself can discuss the next steps. Bloodymindedness and hard graft sounds good to me.
This wouldn't be just to make a few quid quickly, I want a career out of it so in my opinion you reap what you sow.
I have read a few posts on here where some people think they are king d*ck after a short course, that isn't me. I would work hard and learn fast to become an asset to my employer.

Thank you for your response, I would be happy to go self employed but I didn't know where to start to do that.
I've offered my services for free labour for now, whilst doing that the plasterer and myself can discuss the next steps. Bloodymindedness and hard graft sounds good to me.
This wouldn't be just to make a few quid quickly, I want a career out of it so in my opinion you reap what you sow.
I have read a few posts on here where some people think they are king d*ck after a short course, that isn't me. I would work hard and learn fast to become an asset to my employer.
I did a short course and am not a dick, there are a lot though that probably are though so understand the stigma....can you not get a 6 week one with your resettlement , I know gold trowel offered that

I did a short course and am not a dick, there are a lot though that probably are though so understand the stigma....can you not get a 6 week one with your resettlement , I know gold trowel offered that
Sorry lodan, I wasn't inplying you were. It came across wrong.

Sorry lodan, I wasn't inplying you were. It came across wrong.
Lol mate, I know you didn't, it was aimed at the view of short courses not anything you said(y)

At the end if the day just do what you have to do to make it work, that's what I did and if you got the stomach for it you will to

Just a quick update.
Today I contacted 8 plasterers in Basingstoke area, 2 responses so far. Both already had labourers but are keeping my number for any possible future work, so the search continues.

Your advice so far has been great, so thank you all.

W
Just a quick update.
Today I contacted 8 plasterers in Basingstoke area, 2 responses so far. Both already had labourers but are keeping my number for any possible future work, so the search continues.

widen your search area a bit,also maybe keep an eye on any construction in the area and just call in and ask.You've nothing to lose.

@Lodan i don't have any resettlement left as my termination date from Navy is 31st. But I do have £2000 towards a lvl 3 course available to me.

Just a quick update.

if you are sure you want to do this then good luck but I would be looking at training to be a spark or something :D

In fact I looked at training as a spark as I had a lad come round the other day to safety check some work and he charged £400 for for 3 hours work... ffs

I had a lad come round the other day to safety check some work and he charged £400 for for 3 hours work... ffs

Have to carry a minimum of £5 million PLI, £600 a year to NIC/ELECSA, Fluke or similar MFT £1k which has to be calibrated annually, online or paper notifications £5 a time, a course every time they update the regs usually @£200, basic tool kit is another £1k. All of which is on top of the costs that any other trades have (tools, van kit etc). So it's always going to be a higher rate to be fair as the overheads are much higher.

Have to carry a minimum of £5 million PLI, £600 a year to NIC/ELECSA, Fluke or similar MFT £1k which has to be calibrated annually, online or paper notifications £5 a time, a course every time they update the regs usually @£200, basic tool kit is another £1k. All of which is on top of the costs that any other trades have (tools, van kit etc). So it's always going to be a higher rate to be fair as the overheads are much higher.

Yup totally get that just was not expecting that :D

I have £5mil liability for taking photos and stuff...lol christ knows what damage I can do with a poxy camera

I have £5mil liability for taking photos and stuff...lol christ knows what damage I can do with a poxy camera
I just booked on a domestic installers course for January, thought it would be another good string to my bow

Drop it on the bonnet of a Ferrari which would be probably be £10k to replace the bonnet, and £4 million to compensate Gaylord Floppycock for his distress. :LOL:

Drop it on the bonnet of a Ferrari which would be probably be £10k to replace the bonnet, and £4 million to compensate Gaylord Floppycock for his distress. :LOL:

Lol ironically the event that insisted in it was for an event that was a little bit lower class

Which one are you doing?
Tradeskills4u in Gatwick 5 weeks, seemed to offer a few more units than the others. Doing it over Jan and first two weeks of Feb when work is a bit quieter.

Tradeskills4u in Gatwick 5 weeks, seemed to offer a few more units than the others. Doing it over Jan and first two weeks of Feb when work is a bit quieter.

Ah nice :D I will check it out :D I got another project starting soon and I will be looking at saving a few pennies :D

Sorry slow reply, I moved house and had no WiFi.
I took a job at Lidl for now, to keep food in the cupboards and to save for qualification.
I called many plasterers and either they had a labourer or took my number for future, so no labouring offered.
I’m still trying to keep at it, been tasked with skimming my mums hallway and two bedrooms walls/ceiling.
I get 2 days off a week which is never the same so I am available to help out 1 day a week

Just a quick update.

I am not exaggerating, I wrote to, left voicemails and emailed approx 300 people trying to find someone to take me on. I got two replies back out of all of them and they were a no. That was 8 years ago. I'm still going. You'll do it if you want to. Having said that I don't have children so never had that responsibility to deter me . I don't think you'll have a problem though with your attitude (y)

Why don't you try and get a job as a general builders labourer as there are always those jobs going .That way you will get a way of meeting plasterers and you will have a better idea of how things are in the trade and if you drop it in that you can do a bit of skimming and are keen to learn more you may just get the opportunities . Experience is everything in this game and its better to be on the inside pissing out than on the outside trying to piss in.

Sorry slow reply, I moved house and had no WiFi.
I took a job at Lidl for now, to keep food in the cupboards and to save for qualification.
I called many plasterers and either they had a labourer or took my number for future, so no labouring offered.
I’m still trying to keep at it, been tasked with skimming my mums hallway and two bedrooms walls/ceiling.
I get 2 days off a week which is never the same so I am available to help out 1 day a week

Noodle armed ex matelots who need the going rate to feed their children are not in high demand mate. Not when there's handsome Pongos competing for the same work, strong of arm and quick of wit.

Plus, skimmers don't really seem to use labourers. I'd do the longer course and try to pick up your own work in your own time. Remember that you can always filter out the bigger/harder jobs that you aren't up to yet and/or ask for a hand as you get to know people.

This is pretty much what I did. Just doing it on an odd job basis. When I did come to get a job with a firm, I had a bit to offer. Even then though, when the work ran out, I had to head home because I couldn't find another firm quickly enough to support myself in UK.

It's not easy, Pal. Especially if you can't afford to offer to work for nowt.

Good luck, Buddy.

Mate...

Seriously get your head down at Lidls and climb the ladder there...

Easier work
Better money
Job security

Trust me I'm 20years in now and it's a god dam awful job to be doing in your 40s +

Mate...

Seriously get your head down at Lidls and climb the ladder there...

Easier work
Better money
Job security

Trust me I'm 20years in now and it's a god dam awful job to be doing in your 40s +
Sad but true.

There is a definite correlation between the relentless cardio and muscle work of plastering and the repetitive strain injuries we all suffer with eventually. I wonder if we'd all be better of multi trading as then we wouldn't have to be as physical maybe. Anyone coming into the trade now has to really think carefully.
There's old plasterers and bold plasterers, but not many old bold plasterers.
But good luck @RegyB

There is a definite correlation between the relentless cardio and muscle work of plastering and the repetitive strain injuries we all suffer with eventually. I wonder if we'd all be better of multi trading as then we wouldn't have to be as physical maybe. Anyone coming into the trade now has to really think carefully.
There's old plasterers and bold plasterers, but not many old bold plasterers.
But good luck @RegyB

Pushing hard against something that doesn't move with only one hand 8 hrs a day for 40 years can't be good for you mate.

Pushing hard against something that doesn't move with only one hand 8 hrs a day for 40 years can't be good for you mate.
That's about the size of it mate... I have a shagged rotator cuff, my back is off centre from the stance taken whilst rendering sand /cement for years and years, and then there's screeding......I can remember being told " no-ones ever died from hard work"..... no, not instantly......it's a slow process....look after yourself mate.

@RegyB .

1st nice one for your service.... got alot of time for our forces....

2nd keep an eye on this forum there is often lads asking for a hand. including me and im based in portsmouth....

get the word out on your facebook etc youll get plenty of bedroom etc build your experience up.

good luck

Hi all, sorry to bump my old post. I just thought I’d update you as you all made an effort in posting your replies.
I worked at Lidl for approx 6 months, I was promoted to duty manager and they wanted me to be assistant manager but I just didn’t want it, whilst there I was applying for labouring.
A building company took me on as a labourer, hod carrying, digging and general labouring duties.

Two weeks ago a little birdie told the boss I can do plastering, to which I replied ‘on a diy sort of basis and scale’.
Since then I’ve been given a few repair jobs, window reveals and above windows where a new steel has been put in.
Boss was pleased with the quality of my work and has given me more repairs.

I enjoy it doing hardwall and multi, but to me the speed is not there, I have to mix enough for first coat then mix another for 2nd.
I have made mistakes (ie, forgot to put angle bead on) but I’m happy to admit them and learn from them.

Thank you for your replies

Hi all, sorry to bump my old post. I just thought I’d update you as you all made an effort in posting your replies.
I worked at Lidl for approx 6 months, I was promoted to duty manager and they wanted me to be assistant manager but I just didn’t want it, whilst there I was applying for labouring.
A building company took me on as a labourer, hod carrying, digging and general labouring duties.

Two weeks ago a little birdie told the boss I can do plastering, to which I replied ‘on a diy sort of basis and scale’.
Since then I’ve been given a few repair jobs, window reveals and above windows where a new steel has been put in.

I enjoy it doing hardwall and multi, but to me the speed is not there, I have to mix enough for first coat then mix another for 2nd.
I have made mistakes (ie, forgot to put angle bead on) but I’m happy to admit them and learn from them.

Good for you regy....Rome wasn't built in a day

Stick with it,It will become second nature after a while.

Good man :D

Good on you bud, you sound like a good sort. I'd happily help you out if you were in my neck of the woods. Good luck pal