Labouring, starting out

Members online

RegyB

Hi all and thank you in advance for the advice.
My name is Rich, aged 31 and I will be living in Basingstoke, I have literally just left the Royal Navy after serving 9 years.
This post is my first, I have been on the forum for a few weeks and found the wealth of information very helpful. So thank you.
I have a couple of questions which I hope is not a repeat, appologies if it is.

I took a 2 day plastering course during my resettlement which I know was only basic, I have done DIY plastering and I also know it takes years to learn the trade which is why I'm hoping to labour and develop from there.

If I were to labour for a plasterer, would this normally be on the books or not?
I am looking for genuine employment and need to work to obtain rented accommodation for my family and I.

I have noticed a few plasterers here are in or around Basingstoke so was hoping for a ball park wage to expect?
Sorry for long post.

If your determined enough you'll get a chance.Keep asking and looking and someone will give you a job.It's up to you then it's not for the faint hearted or easily offended.Good luck.

I'm happy to work hard and I have pride in my work. I am confident that any plasterer that takes me on will not be disappointed.
I am an honest, hard working man and considered a perfectionist that pays attention to detail. I learn quickly and can definitely appreciate the banter.

I make a wicked cup of tea also

I'm happy to work hard and I have pride in my work. I am confident that any plasterer that takes me on will not be disappointed.
I am an honest, hard working man and considered a perfectionist that pays attention to detail. I learn quickly and can definitely appreciate the banter.

I make a wicked cup of tea also

Already done better than me (y)

Most work in the building trade is self employed, no one wants to pay for holiday sick pay pension etc it's too much hassle having employees 99% of guys on this forum will be self employed

Not sure how yous work it there, but in my experience over here, I've always been employed but in a self employed basis, basically covers employer if work drys up they can just get rid, and don't have to pay holidays etc etc. Good luck searching, a good labourer is like few and far between here, but well worth the money for a good one if they don't need told to set everything up, clean up and have everything sitting ready etc. no doubt the same with yous lads too.

Most work in the building trade is self employed, no one wants to pay for holiday sick pay pension etc it's too much hassle having employees 99% of guys on this forum will be self employed
Any advice on this side of things, self employed labourer.
On £40-60 a day starting out, minus tax and NI?

If you want security and all the normal stuff then this is the wrong game to be in.I'm self employed a long time and don't know anything else.You have to make it for yourself and try and mind it.

Have a look on jobsites to find what agencies are paying for labourers, you will need to get a cscs card aswell

IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0944.JPG
This is my first wall and ceiling diy

You've obviously got potential and the right attitude so best of luck
Thank you, by all means I know I am not a plasterer yet but I want to be.
The plaster was setting in the bucket towards the end of 1st coat on ceiling, and the shoulders!!! Work out and a half, really enjoyed doing it.

Most here are on 50 after tax on average, plenty are on that cash in hand too I reckon. As it self employed meant to pay ur own stamp. Some pay 60 home some 70home. You'd have more chance there Gettin better money as prices in England are much better than here

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am very keen and committed to becoming a tradesman and plastering is my preferred trade.
I will call every plasterer in Basingstoke this week in the hope I get a chance.
I'll be back on here tomorrow now as I'm about to drive back to Basingstoke from Helensburgh (just west of Glasgow)

A man looking for someone right now ,you would of been great for me ! Unfortunately am in Liverpool a bit out the way for you I thinks , but there will be something for you somwere of that am sure,good luck.

A man looking for someone right now ,you would of been great for me ! Unfortunately am in Liverpool a bit out the way for you I thinks , but there will be something for you somwere of that am sure,good luck.
Thank you, I would have jumped at the chance but Liverpool is a little bit too far for the morning commute lol

Offer to do a week or two for free...a try before you buy and I wouldn't go straight in saying you want to be on the books as it will put people off
I would be willing to offer a free trail but do you think they would take the free labour and bugger me off regardless of how good I was.

I would be willing to offer a free trail but do you think they would take the free labour and bugger me off regardless of how good I was.
No I dont think they would, no ones bothered enough about a free weeks labour, they wouldn't trust you with much anyway, just see if you've got worth ethic and at least half a brain. I wouldn't be bothered to take the free labour unless I thought I had a place for you if you were decent. Also it shows willing and a bit of drive which starts you off on a good footing

No I dont think they would, no ones bothered enough about a free weeks labour, they wouldn't trust you with much anyway, just see if you've got worth ethic and at least half a brain. I wouldn't be bothered to take the free labour unless I thought I had a place for you if you were decent. Also it shows willing and a bit of drive which starts you off on a good footing
Thanx Lodan.