Is it normal to not plaster around doorways?

Members online

Sophie3733

I've had a plasterer come and do some work for me. He forgot to mention he wouldn't do around the door frames and he's left them but there's big pieces of plaster in some of them I'm unsure how I will sand down. I'm unsure if this is normal? Some of the plastering is rough in general, can this be fixed or am I best off just attempting to sand it down please? Is the odd crack to worry about? I'm thinking of asking him to come back.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_103236111.jpg
    IMG_20211019_103236111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20211019_102516049.jpg
    IMG_20211019_102516049.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 505
  • IMG_20211019_102510473.jpg
    IMG_20211019_102510473.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 474
  • IMG_20211019_101149823.jpg
    IMG_20211019_101149823.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20211016_144901019.jpg
    IMG_20211016_144901019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_20211016_144906619.jpg
    IMG_20211016_144906619.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20211019_102659999.jpg
    IMG_20211019_102659999.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_20211019_101204227.jpg
    IMG_20211019_101204227.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 553
I've had a plasterer come and do some work for me. He forgot to mention he wouldn't do around the door frames and he's left them but there's big pieces of plaster in some of them I'm unsure how I will sand down. I'm unsure if this is normal? Some of the plastering is rough in general, can this be fixed or am I best off just attempting to sand it down please? Is the odd crack to worry about? I'm thinking of asking him to come back.
That work is not good.
Some, like @JessThePlasterer, will leave the narrow strips, personally I think they should be done.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you didn't have a plasterer do that work.

You had a chancer.

Different spelling.

I really am sorry you got ripped-off - I don't like seeing that happen to innocent members of the public.

Calling him back to fix it won't help - it is 100% obvious from your photos that he has zero skill at plastering. You can try taking him to small claims court, if you feel up to it.

If you don't feel up to it, then it would be possible to hack-back the high spots and fill the various hollows using a taping knife and Polyfilla or EasiFill, and sand it, but looking at how rough it is, it would be more appropriate to find a skilled plasterer to redo the job properly.

Having said all that (and what follows does not excuse the shoddy workmanship), I must ask you - was this plastering done over the top of old grey lime lath-&-plaster? This is very common in Victorian and Edwardian properties, and after many years, it 'blows' (delaminates from the wall). If you try to just plaster over the top of it, the new plaster cannot prevent itself from cracking if it's been applied on top of old blown plaster, because blown plaster isn't solid, and therefore moves slightly, over time. The correct course of action, where old blown plaster is concerned, is to have it all hacked off the wall before being floated (or dot & dabbed) and then plastered.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you all. The plasterer actually did some fab work for my sister a while back when he worked for someone else so he actually has the skill. He's now self employed and he brought his dad with him this time and they both rushed it to get onto a new job. He's currently ignoring my messages so I don't think he is coming back anyway. I have some salt looking stuff coming out the deeper areas he's done which is concerning me a little. I don't know if different plaster should have been used for those.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you didn't have a plasterer do that work.

You had a chancer.

Different spelling.

I really am sorry you got ripped-off - I don't like seeing that happen to innocent members of the public.

Calling him back to fix it won't help - it is 100% obvious from your photos that he has zero skill at plastering. You can try taking him to small claims court, if you feel up to it.

If you don't feel up to it, then it would be possible to hack-back the high spots and fill the various hollows using a taping knife and Polyfilla or EasiFill, and sand it, but looking at how rough it is, it would be more appropriate to find a skilled plasterer to redo the job properly.

Having said all that (and what follows does not excuse the shoddy workmanship), I must ask you - was this plastering done over the top of old grey lime lath-&-plaster? This is very common in Victorian and Edwardian properties, and after many years, it 'blows' (delaminates from the wall). If you try to just plaster over the top of it, the new plaster cannot prevent itself from cracking if it's been applied on top of old blown plaster, because blown plaster isn't solid, and therefore moves slightly, over time. The correct course of action, where old blown plaster is concerned, is to have it all hacked off the wall before being floated (or dot & dabbed) and then plastered.

Good luck.
Thank you. The plasterer has actually done good work in the past for a family member when he worked for someone else. Some areas aren't bad, but he rushed off to a new job and his dad really didn't care on the quality. I had to bring them up on things like not plastering round a light switch. Though I had offered to take them off the wall before he came.

I'm not sure what the walls are made of, they did say they were very porous. But I believe my flat was built in the 50s/60s.

Crickey!

If someone says they will skim a wall they should skim the wall you can’t turn round and say I forgot to mention haha, keep on at him he should be the one coming pack to sand it it’s not like filler multi finish is an absolute nightmare to sand back the work is terrible in the photos shown

Someone definitely came around but he definitely wasn’t a plasterer