I was told this today

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
I was told this today Polish construction agencies are pushing hard to win favour for the for comeing insulation works
saying there tradesmen are very skilled in this line of works compared to british workers and more competive on rates of pay then to british rates.

EU workers are the cancer to british workers no matter which way you look at. You only have to look back to strikes over eu workers taking british workers jobs.

well there not spunky we all know the best plasterers in the world are from the UK and our Irish cousins full stop.

cant beat a paddy on sand and cement!!!! actually that reminds me. some old boy once told be that guiness acts as feb. but he was pretty mad.

A Plasterer in oz is laughing stock.... they reckon we just tape and join... I got hammered by a group of builders when I said I was a plasterer... when I then managed to explain what we did in the UK they were sound but they said an ozzy plasterer was one of the lowest regarded trades.... but they did say that the best plasterers were from the UK and a builder would choose a brit over an ozzy any day of the week.

I dont know whether thats true or not but they call plasterers "Gibbers" over there...

i worked in oz and none of em could float out i was doin all the sand an cement they were just taping even the two lads that helped me were from the isle of man and ireland

yup thats pretty much what I heard as well... Chippies I think over there were the highest paid.

We met 2 chippies who were earning $1000 each a day working in Arnam land and they would just hang a few doors a day :)

well i was doing EIFW EWI in germany in the 80's and i can say that german spreads are bloody great... as everything has to be perfect... i have also worked with I****n speads in kuwait and they plumbed every wall with plumb bobs before rendering them...

saw women renderers in thailand working for 200 baht a day-was 10 years ago so probably on 150 now-if youre anything to do with building in thailand your considered scum(and youre generally burmese)

I dont really know who are the best spreads I just get pissed off with hearing just how great someone who is not from UK is when working over here why not big ourselves up for once.
Am just rallying to the flag of my country and no am not a little englander just proud to be english even when we get stuffed at football by the germans LOL

Alot of poles/Eu lads do this work and have previous experience but not all of them.

lets face it if there is a circle of poles getting results then they will all want a piece of the pie, thats how mercinaries work - its a way into work, the trust has been earnt from the good ones but trust me I have seen loads jump on the "oh yeah we done this for years in the EU countries" bandwagon and some of the work is absolutely discraceful. I have seen reps from the render manufacturers on site change colour with fear over the work that has gone on and with the worry of future call backs - time bomb is ticking, mark my words.

Plus never trust an agency - they are people trying to stich up the now tiny holes in the market because they make a killing from flooding construction with bodies, but I have never come across an agency that knows anything about the actual trade they want to sell their services so they are bound to tell you there men are the cheaper better and faster etc etc etc. any business does. but saying brits are not good at ewi is wrong wrong and wrong again

I know the knowledge of thermal systems in the uk has not been as widespread as in say germany but it is better than in some EU states where building standards are poorer than here. I know alot of lads and I am yet to meet a pole/EU who can actually claim to be "better" I have done alot of work with EWI EIFS firms on specs/quality standards/methods etc and I always say the continued training is important as technologies change systems change etc. The render firms agree and british lads will be able to benefit from it too training programmes are in place to get the knowledge of EWI to a standard that is absolute best can be and will be available to british lads/trainees etc. British lads will be able to be trained up here and have the most up to date knowledge and kills. As far as I am aware you only come in from the EU with a bent cscs card! (not in all cases I know but it does happen)

So although the claims are untrue What worries me is how the construction industry is run and there will be an element of - we will use the poles for this because they are cheaper and know more about it mentality - the absolute stupid attitude that gets some forms of construction a bad name. always on the cheap not on the quality anymore - the british disease

Last edited:
in oz you dont call you self a plasterer thats a taper we are known as solid plasterers i iworked in brisbane for five years and believe me the straightest best formed arrises flattest float finish render you will have.its a sunny climate there and sh ite shows and there exterior render was absolutly top notch

The more I look at terrace housing the more problems I can see. With this work on the isultating side example some windows frames only have 20mm of frame showing by the time you put the board on you will see it through the glass am talking about bay windows or splayed bays. The work which rok was doing in grimsby on the front elevations there is a small 8"x 4" plastic box fitted about 6" from ground level this is the cable tv box . All they did was cut the insultion board 3" square around this and bead up it look a t**t but what could they do. Anyway the latest I heard is the bank's are setting up green loans for this work tied to the property and not the owner to be paid over 15 yrs period.

The more I look at terrace housing the more problems I can see. With this work on the isultating side example some windows frames only have 20mm of frame showing by the time you put the board on you will see it through the glass am talking about bay windows or splayed bays. The work which rok was doing in grimsby on the front elevations there is a small 8"x 4" plastic box fitted about 6" from ground level this is the cable tv box . All they did was cut the insultion board 3" square around this and bead up it look a t**t but what could they do. Anyway the latest I heard is the bank's are setting up green loans for this work tied to the property and not the owner to be paid over 15 yrs period.

The windows and openings on these systems is a major point for debate IMO they should be done to the letter with care. it is where most problems arise from failed uvalues or weather penetration (bet the mercinaries dont even know that) when these so called gangs of cheap skilled men are on pricework on site do you think they worry about window openings on some house in england - when they wrot away after a few years and they hve retired back home? they dont give a flying pal take it from me. people like us who try to earn our living here and cut a reputation here do care.

all external thermal upgrades of existing housing do need work to soffit/roof lines and window profiles etc tho its a given to accommodate the system and to protect it.

They got some polish lads on this site in to start the thermal render on the other block as the english guys are behind, they have flown through it i got to admit....apparently the english lads moan to much about everything....

Seems to take for ever to stick the poly on and cut round pipes and cables, i reckon that would do my head in....

they moan maybe because the price is shite or they dont understand the job or maybe we just like moaning it's who we are.

If they used hot knifes they would cut round pipes in seconds, let me guess they dont have hot knives? No surprise and neither do the poles so I bet alot of the penetrations get botched up. you will know in five years I suppose.

They got some polish lads on this site in to start the thermal render on the other block as the english guys are behind, they have flown through it i got to admit....apparently the english lads moan to much about everything....

Seems to take for ever to stick the poly on and cut round pipes and cables, i reckon that would do my head in....

I wonder if the moaning is about issues on the job that are being taken as moaning so the MC likes the poles because he has no headache from moaning. sounds like the norm - so if there is an actual issue its being ignored and whatever way the lads are getting round it (even if that way is wrong and flaws the render system) it is being overlooked and bang goes another job and with it the reputation of EWI. Thanks a bunch from the ones who care and actually make a genuine business from it.

Not saying this is the case but it is an all too familiar senario.

If they used hot knifes they would cut round pipes in seconds, let me guess they dont have hot knives? No surprise and neither do the poles so I bet alot of the penetrations get botched up. you will know in five years I suppose.

Nope all by hand.....Not seen anyone use those hot knives in ages.....

yes cos it would still look like a rottweiler! mind you if the fun bags were nice and soapy then id have to respect all honourary manhood and slip inside ofcourse

Status
Not open for further replies.