How long should it take to apply multi

Members online

John John

Hi All,

I've just started doing my own plastering and was interested how long it should take to apply plaster that would be considered a reasonable pace.

I did a 22m2 wall the other day and it took me 2omin to lay on, I was sweating up big time, other people have been telling me should be able to do that in 10 min.........Are they BS'in me, or am I slow, I was struggling to see how could get it on any quicker....especially in half the time.

I was using a spot board too not scooping from bucket.

You get it on the wall as fast as your comfortable with, speed comes later, cleanliness and finish the important things to get right first, in my opinion anyway

Hi All,

I've just started doing my own plastering and was interested how long it should take to apply plaster that would be considered a reasonable pace.

I did a 22m2 wall the other day and it took me 2omin to lay on, I was sweating up big time, other people have been telling me should be able to do that in 10 min.........Are they BS'in me, or am I slow, I was struggling to see how could get it on any quicker....especially in half the time.

Yes you are slow but don't beat yourself up over it mate

I don't drop f**k all either. I see too many who think they are "fast" but it's everywhere and an embarrassment if you ask me

I did a tidy job, I was more surprised when someone said should be able to do it in 10 min when you're up to speed. I'm sure I'll speed up with time

Fook me john john you have only just started plastering and you have already fallen for the plastering bull shite that speed is everything . For fluck sake just keep going as you are and just put on what you know you can handle for now and don't listen to thistle pigs who think they are good just because they spend all day skimming and can do sod all else . Just make sure you do it right and do it once and speed will come with confidence.

Hi Beader, well yes for me the job has to be tidy and ideally none on the floor, which is where I'm at now.....I was just surprised when it should've really taken half the time and I wasn't sure if it was BS as like I said I was sweating up big time.

Hi Beader, well yes for me the job has to be tidy and ideally none on the floor, which is where I'm at now.....I was just surprised when it should've really taken half the time and I wasn't sure if it was BS as like I said I was sweating up big time.
No its not BS but you've no need to worry.
Just keep at it and concentrate on doing a great job.

Speed will come and improved technique just do it right as the finish will be remembered a lot longer than how quickly you laid it on !
And get a speed skim :whistle:

I spend longer than most putting on, cis I like to leave as few trowel lines in it as possible, keeping it flat ready to take the 2nd coat , making flattening subsequent coats easier. I see these speed merchants after they've 1st /2nd coated and it looks like artex , tortoise and the hare comes to mind :coffe:

I spend longer than most putting on, cis I like to leave as few trowel lines in it as possible, keeping it flat ready to take the 2nd coat , making flattening subsequent coats easier. I see these speed merchants after they've 1st /2nd coated and it looks like artex , tortoise and the hare comes to mind :coffe:
Only bloke I know who's stainless steel trowel is rusty

Hi All,

To be fair if your new 22m2 is quite a big hit... took me 15mins to second coat 20m2 of ceilings today and I been doing it years... slow? Don't worry about it, we can't all be super spreads straight away.