Hi DIYer with weberpral m questions

Members online

Davesillars

Hi all,

I've got an 8m wide by 1.6 metre high back garden wall with a pier in the middle that needs rendering. I've not rendered before but I'm a decent DIYer so thought I'd give it a go (I realise rendering and plastering are seriously difficult skills hence you get paid so well!).

I've already got the 15m beading all around the job. All nice and square/ level. Stuck with pink grip and mitred fixed the corners so they're tight. I'm in the process of getting the missus to agree on coping stones for the top otherwise I realise it will fail eventually.

I'm about to put on 2-3mm rend aid probably by trowel but have also seen people on here saying you can put on like a thick slurry coat with a roller (thoughts on either?). Then I'll putt
the mesh on and roller over to push the mesh in and get a stipple effect.

Wait 48 hours (as per Weber helpline) and then as I don't have a spray I'm going to have to put the two passes of pral m (chalk) with a trowel. Weber have said the max time between the two passes for the monocouche is about 20 mins does that sound about right?

As I'm going to obviously be a lot slower than you guys I'm going to break the work into parts. For example I'll do the left area of the pier (roughly 3.5m x 1.6m) with two passes building it up to 18m to scratch off 3m the next day morning.

Then I'll do the right hand side, the pier and then the top. Does that sound right? Realistically I'm not going to get the whole wall done in one day due to my lack of skill.

Does my first pass need to be thicker than my second? and if so what depths would you go for on first and second passes?

Do I use the profile scraper just after I've applied the second pass or do I give it a bit of time to dry on the same day?

Next day, scratch it.

Day after call a skilled renderer to tidy it up (probably).

Does that sound about right? Any glaring mistakes?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. We don't have much money and I'm just trying to give the kids a nice garden area for the summer.
Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705_161442_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_161442_Gallery.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 96
Save up some money until next summer and pay a renderer to do a tidy job,will look an eye sore if you f**k it up

Hi all,

I've got an 8m wide by 1.6 metre high back garden wall with a pier in the middle that needs rendering. I've not rendered before but I'm a decent DIYer so thought I'd give it a go (I realise rendering and plastering are seriously difficult skills hence you get paid so well!).

I've already got the 15m beading all around the job. All nice and square/ level. Stuck with pink grip and mitred fixed the corners so they're tight. I'm in the process of getting the missus to agree on coping stones for the top otherwise I realise it will fail eventually.

I'm about to put on 2-3mm rend aid probably by trowel but have also seen people on here saying you can put on like a thick slurry coat with a roller (thoughts on either?). Then I'll putt

Wait 48 hours (as per Weber helpline) and then as I don't have a spray I'm going to have to put the two passes of pral m (chalk) with a trowel. Weber have said the max time between the two passes for the monocouche is about 20 mins does that sound about right?

As I'm going to obviously be a lot slower than you guys I'm going to break the work into parts. For example I'll do the left area of the pier (roughly 3.5m x 1.6m) with two passes building it up to 18m to scratch off 3m the next day morning.

Then I'll do the right hand side, the pier and then the top. Does that sound right? Realistically I'm not going to get the whole wall done in one day due to my lack of skill.

Does my first pass need to be thicker than my second? and if so what depths would you go for on first and second passes?

Do I use the profile scraper just after I've applied the second pass or do I give it a bit of time to dry on the same day?

Next day, scratch it.

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. We don't have much money and I'm just trying to give the kids a nice garden area for the summer.
Thanks,

Dave

Retaining wall?

No weep holes?

Already signs of agg down the bottom where it's grey.

I wouldn't render that at this point mate.

Plenty of work needed first!

Retaining wall?

No weep holes?

Already signs of agg down the bottom where it's grey.

I wouldn't render that at this point mate.

Plenty of work needed first!
Hi, thanks for replying.

Somebody suggested putting a couple of coats of everbuild tanking slurry on it but I've read that causes issues with bonding?

It’s true just leave it brick kids don’t care about stuff like that all they need is you in the garden with them as much as possible.
however you have started so may as well finish (bamber gascoine)
worth doing a practice wall first somehow. Put some cement board on some timber frame and practise you will learn about your first mistakes on that rather than on the wall you will look at for years…..

It’s true just leave it brick kids don’t care about stuff like that all they need is you in the garden with them as much as possible.
worth doing a practice wall first somehow. Put some cement board on some timber frame and practise you will learn about your first mistakes on that rather than on the wall you will look at for years…..
Thank you MB appreciate it. Will do. Love a bamber gascoine quote!

Will it look bad because the monocouche will get dirty? Or because it will ultimately blow without coping stones on top of it?
Use timber or composite clad, you could even extend it higher so your not looking at the back or cars so much. Remember you can screw a screw in half way and it still be the same the day after. You mess that up with render you’ll be looking at it till you can afford to do something else with it.

Hi all,

Next day, scratch it.

Thanks,

Dave
And it’s not about you jogger who go round and round and round and round, parklife!

Hi, thanks for replying.

Somebody suggested putting a couple of coats of everbuild tanking slurry on it but I've read that causes issues with bonding?

Weep

Tank

Tank again

Stipple The tank

Start rend aid.......

At the very least,

I wouldn't miss any out.

Thank you MB appreciate it. Will do. Love a bamber gascoine quote!

I thought that was Magnus Magnusson.
Mastermind?