HELP!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

platinum

just skimmed my mates ceiling all went well.............. left it for 6 days and painted it with crowne mat emulsion again all went well.............. 2nd coated it today and when a rolled over a patch with the roller the plaster came off on the roller??? only a patch the size of a cig packet but i can see i could pick off around it all day like flakey paint ??? what have i done wrong???? it seems solid everywhere else?????? rest of ceilings and walls are fine??? any idea's????? i've covered it with a smoke alarm so got away with it but whats gone wrong???? like i said solid everywhere else???? ??? thanks in advance

sounds like fat this gets back to the arguement of using a sponge to bring plaster alive, you cant and this what happens, plaster that doesnt set and comes off on the roller. You have probably filled a slack in with fat and it hasnt set.

I agree with both Flynny and Del about what the problem probably is but I don't have any problem floating a wall over when needed because I have put on neat and flat and when I trowel up after floating I'm taking the fat of the wall or ceiling so not leaving any dead plaster to cause problems.

Its either fat as already stated or you could have troweled up too much and closed it up, leaving the surface like glass.

topmark said:
Its either fat as already stated or you could have troweled up too much and closed it up, leaving the surface like glass.
leaving the surface like glass should have no effect on the plaster coming away, but the paint will not tend to stick to the plaster because it can not grip the paint. dont understand what you mean topmark. :)

silk paint ceiling?
overdone the pva / not used bond-it?
let it dry before plastering?
overtrowelled it?
no suction, no key, no bond?
got any more smoke alarms? ;D

as chris said when plastering any surface with no suction or key is asking for bother always use bond it maybe cost bit more but when you walk away you no its right.

i sometimes cover my mrs in bond it. as its seems like shes lost all suction and has taken away my key

A cheap s*lu*t solution to a suction problem is not recommended as it may give u more problems than first started with.

well thanks everyone for your advise i think i shall use bond it in future ..... it was a horrifying feeling :mad:...... the ceiling itself was in quite good shape few marks and cracks where the plasterboard joins were..... wasn't a high gloss silk paint on it....... i just put scrim over the cracks .... pva'd 3:1 .... possibly didn't wait till it went tacky if i'm honest just got on it...... would't use fat for anything so that wasn;t an issue and didn't over trowel??? weird but very scary :mad:... maybe just not a good enough key...... is it the norm to use bond it on ceiling re skims????

i was plastering on to boardwork on a coni yesterday and found the secnd coat was ripping off like when pva is still 2 wet on a re skim??????/ was reali hot and the first coat had garn very firm dow....still dnt no why it did that

I do it andy sometimes ... it works ok, I even add a small bottle of food colouring
[/quote]

I've done loads like it as well Rich just wondered what others do, the colouring helps alot doesn't it.

oasis said:
A cheap s*lu*t solution to a suction problem is not recommended as it may give u more problems than first started with.
:eek: :eek:
Do you tell your granny how to suck eggs. Nothing cheap about SBR.

When I first started out I skimmed a ceiling over paint matt emulsion, pva first. Got a call 4 weeks later that half the ceiling had fallen down. Now I make sure that I score criss cross with stanley knife all paint, then PVA. Then you shouldn't have any probs. Or use wickes WBA or Bond it. But to be honest scoring is usually fine...I may use WBA if gloss.

well i'm not gonna panic seems solid enough everywhere else ???????????????? what are we saying then use wba / bond it on every ceiling regardless of paint?????? i think if your skimmed ceiling ended up all over the floor you were dealing with more than matt emulsion............... and some scoring with a stanley would have changed very little........................ is there anyone out there who can tell me if this ceiling is gonna be ok or what??? or is this an immpossibe question???

Thanks in advance

also after you've wet troweled whats the best way of getting rid of the excess water or are you ok to leave it ???????? i reakon it was maybe a wet patch

platinum said:
also after you've wet troweled whats the best way of getting rid of the excess water or are you ok to leave it ???????? i reakon it was maybe a wet patch

What excess water Platinum, if you trowel up in the correct way there isn't any water left on the ceiling after.

del said:
topmark said:
leaving the surface like glass should have no effect on the plaster coming away, but the paint will not tend to stick to the plaster because it can not grip the paint. dont understand what you mean topmark. :)

Just re-read everything, I was mistaken the plaster pulled off and not the paint, so I think it was either the fat as previous or a thin patch (high spot) or simply poorly adhered plaster.

thanks for the reply mate, still think its a prep problem, plati often posts on here with questions. always friends or family the jobs for, so he reckons :D

Platinum it was matt emulsion and the reason the skim did not adhere was because there was no key. I reskimmed it after scoring and no probs. As I said key all paint and use WBA on surfaces like gloss, theres no point using WBA on most painted surfaces as its time consuming and expensive. As for water on the ceiling..you don't need to use much water and there shouldn't be any left on the ceiling...left over watermarks can show through the paint. Don't worry about the ceiling if it has to be re done then so be it you will have learnt from your mistakes.

platinum every time youre on here youre redoing somone of youre familys house ........chancer mate ........tidy like
just learn with someone you weirdo youve got no chance otherwise

platinum said:
well i'm not gonna panic seems solid enough everywhere else ???????????????? what are we saying then use wba / bond it on every ceiling regardless of paint?????? i think if your skimmed ceiling ended up all over the floor you were dealing with more than matt emulsion............... and some scoring with a stanley would have changed very little........................ is there anyone out there who can tell me if this ceiling is gonna be ok or what??? or is this an immpossibe question???

Thanks in advance

wot... the.... ?
talk about the blind leading the blind ???
end of the day mush, if you had done your job right you wouldnt be on here asking why it went wrong...
your prep was sh'te, and your assesment of the required prep was sh'te, and your plastering was sh'te... stop making excuses for yourself, the plastering is poor.. end of.. youve been given various reasons why this could happen and not being stood underneath it we cant do the f'cking job for you

Chris W said:
platinum said:

Thanks in advance

wot... the.... ?
talk about the blind leading the blind ???
end of the day mush, if you had done your job right you wouldnt be on here asking why it went wrong...
your prep was sh'te, and your assesment of the required prep was sh'te, and your plastering was sh'te... stop making excuses for yourself, the plastering is poor.. end of.. youve been given various reasons why this could happen and not being stood underneath it we cant do the f'cking job for you
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :'(

you tell him chris, bout time some one did. .........plati mate, its not a impossible question, just you are a impossible person. as i said before, give it up. burger king are looking for staff.

DONT give up.... your keen, admit your mistakes and your asking for help rather then just ignoring it. You learn by your mistakes mate.

give it time rich...
you tell this bloke time and time again... never gets it...
ive personally replied to god knows how many pm's in the past only to find the bloke using the information ive given him to advise other newbies completely out of context 5 minutes later...
now we get attitude because he's f'cked a job up and seems to think were just gonna magically fix it for him...
attitudes all wrong mate...

im with del...

good stuff guys thanks for the info...... when i say water marks i mean just excess water from when i wet trowel nothing major..... thanks for everyone with anything decent to say............ not chris W though obviously .... what a waste of time comment why comment at all if thats how you feel you plant pot..... i think we can all guess what the "W" stands for ;D............... poor chris ..... so much anger?.....plank :p

Status
Not open for further replies.