Having few issues

Members online

DavidL

Hi all...

Wonder could somebody help me with this...

Been working with nhl past few years at my own place and parents. Couldnt find anybody in the area that knew anything about working with lime never mind tackle it.

So been working away myself past 2 years with great success. Lots of research...started with few small areas as tests then progressed to whole house inside and out and lot of garden walling etc.

Completed a lot of curved and sculpted areas to date...everything has worked out a way beyond my expectations.

Trying to get some std block planter walls finished up before it's too late.

NHL 3.5 lime

Scud coated as per usual 1 lime 1.5 washed sharp sand. Harling trowel applied.

Walls dampened day before. Light dampening few hours beforehand on the day.

Scud coat lightly misted first few days afterwards.

After a week the scud coat was still brown and easy to break bits off, crumble in fingers. No cracks at all.

Never experience this before...lots of conflicting advice given to me... but wasnt happy so scraped off scud.

Weather had changed by now so bit less dampening and only one misting afterwards.

Scud came up well.

Left a week. Covered with hessian and tarps.

Applied 10mm float coat on Fri. It's been covered with hessian and tarps since.

Opted to not mist as whilst it was covered up, it was raining non stop all weekend.

Just giving things a little check over today.

Render still brown, hasn't begun to lighten up. Im assuming things are taking a while in current conditions. Even when the suns out, not much drying happening outside.

Tapped over a few areas just as a check...surprised I am getting a hollow sound over a few areas. Solid sound in others.

Lightly chipped a small area just to be sure...seems well adhered...stuck fast...no bits break away.

Cant decide whether the hollow sound is just because they are raised planters and currently hollow in middle or wether it is an issue with the render.

I was expecting it to come off readily but the patch I chipped at seems well stuck on there. Chipped right back to the block.

Melting my brain standing here by myself. Panicking a bit as haven't used lime this late in year so a little anxious to get things finished up. And it's a hassle trying to keep planter walls covered and protected as cant just hang sheets like with a basic wall. Have to keep covering and uncovering etc.

Just wondering is there somebody with some experience whi could possibly advise?

Many thanks in advance

There is a difference between drummy sound and hollow sound
You can tap a wall that has no render on it at all and get variations of solid and hollow sounds but that drummy failed render is “tap tap tapity tap hollow as ought”

Sorry for only coming back now. Have a few friends in a bad way with this bloody virus so trying to help out whilst getting own stuff done.

Just been using a drum mixer to mix nhl and sand mixes.

Modified it a tad ie welded in a few extra paddles to drum and raied it 'forward a tad'. Mixes the lime nicely now, no balling etc etc.

Using a paddle mixer if knocking up ready mixed lime putty or hemp lime.

Been sticking to method of get it to consistency I want then let it mix for 15 to 20 mins. Supplier states 20 but I've found it just depends.

Yes I will get a few pictures of stuff already completed this past 2 years as soon as I get a chance.

To date Ive managed approx 400 m2 exterior house walls, mixture of block and cob.

Checking it over today...seems solidly adhered. No cracking at all. Still quite brown. Will call back to check it again later.

Yes.. tapping over the planter wall from inside where it's not rendered, just tanked gives mixture of hollow and solid sound as well.

Hard enough now that a knuckle wont dent it without brute force but still not 'hard'.

Think I'm just 2nd guessing myself after that scud coat that I wasnt happy with. Im still stumped on that.

And fact I haven't limed this late in year as yet. I'm normally fighting to stop it drying too quick.

Its normally starting to 'whiten' up after first few days so I would be misting a few times a day.

I've managed to avoid any shrinkage cracking etc to date. Every job has went smooth until now.

Frustrating...all limed to date...

Approx 400m2 exterior walls

Whole house inside inc 3.5 metre high ceilings and lots of curves etc

Lots of outside walling

All brill. Took care with it all and never suffered any issues at all.

Now just trying to finish up little bit of planter walling before gets too late in year and now I'm doubting myself!

Hi, just standard new 4 inch block.

Float coat still looking fairly 'fresh' this evening. Not much 'lightening up' in colour, no cracks, can just about dent with finger nail. Hoping this is just because of the colder weather? As I mentioned earlier...haven't used lime this late in year to date so all my experience past 2 years has been misting few times a day to slow it down rather than waiting with crossed fingers!

Have a timber framed transparent waterproof shelter built around the area as weather is just crap this month. That was a job in itself! Have the walls covered in hessian overnight, removing each morning.

Last edited:
Hi all...

Wonder could somebody help me with this...

Been working with nhl past few years at my own place and parents. Couldnt find anybody in the area that knew anything about working with lime never mind tackle it.

So been working away myself past 2 years with great success. Lots of research...started with few small areas as tests then progressed to whole house inside and out and lot of garden walling etc.

Completed a lot of curved and sculpted areas to date...everything has worked out a way beyond my expectations.

Trying to get some std block planter walls finished up before it's too late.

NHL 3.5 lime

Scud coated as per usual 1 lime 1.5 washed sharp sand. Harling trowel applied.

Walls dampened day before. Light dampening few hours beforehand on the day.

Scud coat lightly misted first few days afterwards.

After a week the scud coat was still brown and easy to break bits off, crumble in fingers. No cracks at all.

Never experience this before...lots of conflicting advice given to me... but wasnt happy so scraped off scud.

Weather had changed by now so bit less dampening and only one misting afterwards.

Scud came up well.

Left a week. Covered with hessian and tarps.

Applied 10mm float coat on Fri. It's been covered with hessian and tarps since.

Opted to not mist as whilst it was covered up, it was raining non stop all weekend.

Just giving things a little check over today.

Render still brown, hasn't begun to lighten up. Im assuming things are taking a while in current conditions. Even when the suns out, not much drying happening outside.

Tapped over a few areas just as a check...surprised I am getting a hollow sound over a few areas. Solid sound in others.

Lightly chipped a small area just to be sure...seems well adhered...stuck fast...no bits break away.

Cant decide whether the hollow sound is just because they are raised planters and currently hollow in middle or wether it is an issue with the render.

I was expecting it to come off readily but the patch I chipped at seems well stuck on there. Chipped right back to the block.

Melting my brain standing here by myself. Panicking a bit as haven't used lime this late in year so a little anxious to get things finished up. And it's a hassle trying to keep planter walls covered and protected as cant just hang sheets like with a basic wall. Have to keep covering and uncovering etc.

Just wondering is there somebody with some experience whi could possibly advise?

Many thanks in advance
give it time m8

Hi mate we have had issues using lime on new block work often had old properties where a window or door way has been blocked up or a extension going to existing. I always use a exterior dg27 to prime the day before other wise the blocks will pull all the water out the lime. Would also recommend bedding a plastic mesh in the scratch

give it time m8

Thanks to everyone who gave me bit of advice. As it turns out I was just second guessing myself a bit too readily.

And you were spot on...it just needed some time.

I had never used lime this late in year and as it turns out, yes indeed it just needed longer.

It actually needed a lot lot lot longer but has turned out brilliant.

Now that I know it's just due to conditions, I'm appreciating the fact that I'm not having to mist it every 5 bloody minutes like is the case in the warmer months!

I built sheltering over all the work so I could crack on and finish it. Weather cant get in and lots of hessian to keep the frost away. Looking good now.

Thanks again guys...really appreciate the help.

I will get a few pics up when I get a chance.

All the best!