Have i been taught right?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only had to use the sponge a couple of times but its pulled me out the brown stuff. wouldnt use it all the time though

You've been taught wrong mate,work to the suction of the plaster.After the first coat flatten out then wait till it firm's up and stick second coat on ,no sponge b*ll***s.

I agree no sponge b*ll***s just one coat & belt sanders it's the future!!!! :RpS_thumbsup:

Personally, i never use a sponge float. 1st coat, let it pick up n flatten, 2nd coat, flatten, wet then dry trowel every time for me.... Cant see how using a sponge has any advantage or can bring anything back. Once gypsum skim has gone its gone.
Just my tuppence worth..

Most of the time I flatten my first coat before topping with second, but I do alot of refurb and the walls are usually crap, hard to lay on flat, and I find if I flatten off I can feel the wall better, so I know which areas to dub out if need be with my 2nd coat.

Its all about feeling the wall lol

Yeah, the chances are that if the OP has just started plastering then his first coat wont be as flat as it should be, so a quick flatten of the first coat would be benificial.

I sometimes still do it on real bad walls to take the lines out too.

As for sponges.....well they have their uses but I personnaly wouldn't use it on finish. It makes it too grainy and all that good fat either ends up in the sponge, on your trowel or down your arms.

Depending on the area you are covering, get 2nd coat on as asap, flatten off, leave for a while trowel up with a brush, traditional way, better finish than a sponge.

i have never used a sponge in my life on multifinish... whats the world coming to... just lay your first coat on reasonably level and flat try not to leave any lines as they could show through second coat... lay second coat on nice and flat... let it take up a bit then flatten in once or twice as required then finish with a small amount of water and a nice clean trowel... keep your sponge for the bathroom mate
exactly

lol sponge.... maybe if you know how to di it right a sponge may produce a good finish but I have to say I never seen a good finish from a spread using a sponge

Danny

The sponge when used at the right time is an excellent tool, lets you get that bit more finish on. Flattens your work. Does leave a good flat finish. Sometimes I think just troweling leaves a furry finish. And some tiger marks. Just my opinion tho.

put 1st coat on u can wait 5 min flatten then 2nd coat or slap 2nd coat on straight after but with fresh plaster the sooner u put 2nd coat on the flater your 1st coat will be as ur putting on 2nd coat 1st coat will be flattening at the same time. get me gist? and put that silly G** sponge in the bin ;)

NO SPONGE NO WAY NOT NEVER.
its like one coating you just dont do it.
its lazy and not professional (in my opinion).

you have to work with the suction of the wall or ceiling there is no set time i like to put it on then clean my edges up then see if its ready for a trowel you now when its right when you trowel and it leaves no lines then 2nd coat it.

skimming on bonding has a higher suction than plasterboard and plasterboard has a higher suction than some painted walls that have pva on them.

Flattening your first coat is the biggest waste of time ive ever come across in my time as a spread, its a full trowel on all your walls, which could be better spent putting on more walls If you spend a bit longer putting your first coart on flat you will increase your metreage and will also save you getting the sponge out to pull you out of the ****.

agree, keeping eveything tight and clean saves time, money and our all important name, the games hard enough anyway... god i sound like a winge bag, i wouldnt work with me.... plus i have been vegan for 4 month so fart constantly so yet again i am probably talking b*ll***s

agree, keeping eveything tight and clean saves time, money and our all important name, the games hard enough anyway... god i sound like a winge bag, i wouldnt work with me.... plus i have been vegan for 4 month so fart constantly so yet again i am probably talking b*ll***s

How can you have turned vegan with all those lovely cockles in front of you?

Trowel,....eeerrrhh SPONGE FLOAT, Trowel.
So you use a float on skimming?..........some of the old ways are dying out
....look at dot dabbing how many people fix dots to the wall then dabs of adhesive....so now its called dabbing is it???
i don't know anyone that uses a float when skimming and i bet you don't either.you just use Trowel, Trowel.:rolleyes)
only one other spread iknow that uses a setting float ,we done our time together,its a great way to get over (bumpy existing wall),
the problem is no one is taught the right way anymore,everyone i come across are house bashers,but hey ho who gives a **** more work for me when they get found out.

Yes i would agree fella, there good for bringing the material back to life or bringing the fat to the surface whilst making life more easiar and if done right you can get a trowel free finish but....
Sponge floats are origanally used to trowel up white german one coat plasters such as knauf one coat. Hand or machine applied its like bonding and skimming mixed together but white and creamy. Can be used to float out as a backing plaster and troweld up like finish in one mix but preference depends on the user and site conditions , suction, time ect as you all know all plasters have there pros and cons.

Plastering is advancing all the time. To say "2 coat" or "trowel, float, trowel" is the only way and any other way is amateur is daft and the attitude of people stuck in their ways and left behind with the times.
Tradesmen are constantly being pushed to do more for less and as long as you dont compromise your finished product I personally welcome new ideas and improved tools.

I am of the old school, lay first coat , flatten allow to pick up if a small hit, then lay down with a new mix for second coat, the sponge I only use for curves on bonding on a stairwell. I only like working with those who do like wise.I hate helicopter plasterers who keep going in circles on a ceiling or put on walls in a hit and miss fashion, long straight strokes and everything in its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.