hairline cracks in render

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi rib, no one wants to pay for it tho.

did a 2 coat over EML with fibres last year ( customers budget) over painted flaky brickwork.

disagree about them strengths , scratch 7/2 with fibres, rub up 5/1/1, waterproofer in both coats. A couple of fine hairlines and that's it.

fixed EML on with millions of fixings, then " pulled " the mesh out to give some space for scratch to get behind. Job done, cash in pocket

Did you use galv eml? I did one last year using ss eml. £25 a sheet. Had to order a minimum of 5. Only needed 3. I often wonder if galv eml would rust through, Only if the damp gets in behind the render maybe? Beads you can understand because they're exposed.

Yep, galv, she wouldn't spend the dosh. Agree ss is better and in an ideal world...

Saying that I've seen galv EML from 50+ yrs ago (around rsj's etc) that's a bit rusty but intact. I've noticed jobs that I've done 25 yrs ago using galv beads/EML still ok.

if you tap your beads sharply with your trowel it leaves a nick in them which makes them start rusting, or so I've been told.

seen many galv bead failures though, especially coastal areas

To be fair if your going to use traditional over timber frame instead of a specified render carrier system with polymer then you need a real good plasterer who knows exactly what to do to avoid all the chances of something failing.

Plaster sizer and waterproofer in the same mix !!!!!!!!! they would work against each other as one puts air/bubbles into the mix and the other tries to get rid-of the air bubbles .....lol builderssssssss

they very rarely listen to advice , see only pound signs , someone has made a cock up here and guess we will never know who and why

Going to render a garge wall bout12m2

im going to grind into old render that is solid for a key and wash it down withpva. attach beads where needed then scratch coat the first coat with 2sharp 2 building 1 cement with waterproofer

wait a week

then wet down the scratch coat then to proceed with a 1 sharp 4 building 1 cement 1 lime

any more tips

no pva use sbr for externals. we use sharpe sand for scratchcoat may add plastering sand to top coat if needed0

Sbr bond leave on 24 hrs then scratch coat?

been taught to do 1 sharp n 4 building as it's cheaper.

Jus do 5 building 1 cement 1 lime no additives and I'm on to a winner

@johniosaif there's no helping these people that's why I don't bother trying with most.

It's been said before but this is fast becoming TCF (The Chancers Forum).

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to render a garge wall bout12m2

im going to grind into old render that is solid for a key and wash it down withpva. attach beads where needed then scratch coat the first coat with 2sharp 2 building 1 cement with waterproofer

wait a week

then wet down the scratch coat then to proceed with a 1 sharp 4 building 1 cement 1 lime

any more tips

what happened to waiting a week ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.