500ml waterproofer

Top coat
9 plastering sand
Half bag cement
2 shovels hydrated lime

Where am I going wrong?

Ok

Back to basics first

Sand is the aggregate (won't stick to itself or anything else - without........)

Binders

Cement and lime are binders (bind s**t together and stick)

You have more in the 2nd than 1st coat, hence it's stronger (and heavier) which leads to.......

Your predicament.......

To much 'weight' (and strength) over a more feeble base.

You can adjust, and it'll be fine.

These we used to get when the dreaded bell mixer raised its ugly head
Screenshot_20240402_195153_eBay.jpg

That's them, although we changed to 6mm

Found 20's could sometimes pop up "out" on warm days rubbing up.

I carry 2mm , 6mm and 8mm fibres now.

Don't even see them.

Work well though, knit it tight.

(y)
I reckon the original Fibremesh (?) brand used to be 40mm long. Finer than a human hair and never had any problems with them. In fact they were way better than the modern clumpy crap that's available now.

Fibre mesh that's the stuff been a long time since we used them tbh
I used to buy it from a local ready mixed concrete company up to about 2004. Definitely the best one that has ever been available. A quick stir into your mixing water and the fibres completely separated, never a single clump of them. I used them for both screeding and rendering.

I used to buy it from a local ready mixed concrete company up to about 2004. Definitely the best one that has ever been available. A quick stir into your mixing water and the fibres completely separated, never a single clump of them. I used them for both screeding and rendering.
Showing are age now . Ha ha

I think that's the difference between fibreglass and polypropylene fibres.

We used to get proper fibreglass that would separate equally/evenly through the water first, you stick polypropylene ones in there and it looks like frogspawn

Probably cheap Chinese shite flooding the place again?

I think that's the difference between fibreglass and polypropylene fibres.

We used to get proper fibreglass that would separate equally/evenly through the water first, you stick polypropylene ones in there and it looks like frogspawn

Probably cheap Chinese shite flooding the place again?
Possibly, but I thought the original ones were polymer fibres not fibreglass?

I think so, we still called them fibreglass though. (Still do)

Did you call them polymer fibres?

Be honest now???

concrete is so much more solid than screed and render

that cracks and never has fibres
it's set it steel

what makes sand and cement and fibres stronger

out of curiosity

concrete is so much more solid than screed and render

that cracks and never has fibres
it's set it steel

what makes sand and cement and fibres stronger

out of curiosity
The fibres I first bought were made for the concrete industry you thick c**t. They work in two ways. Millions of fibres criss crossing in the mix give added strength (hence why fibres are spec'ed for screening in place of steel mesh for most applications) and if cracks do form they follow the paths of the individual fibres, meaning that the cracks are ultra fine and usually invisible to the naked eye.

The fibres I first bought were made for the concrete industry you thick c**t. They work in two ways. Millions of fibres criss crossing in the mix give added strength (hence why fibres are spec'ed for screening in place of steel mesh for most applications) and if cracks do form they follow the paths of the individual fibres, meaning that the cracks are ultra fine and usually invisible to the naked eye.
Same applies to the hairs in lime . Ha ha there's some M T HEADS on this here forum alright

so why does the render and screed still crack

I think the large aggregate in concrete acts like type 1 MOT subbase and all the stones play off each other giving great resistance

so why does the render and screed still crack
Same reason screed still cracks with steel mesh embedded mate. Outside forces. Rendering will be for a multitude of different reasons. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible.
You'll know as well as I do that on site the same plot types will have cracks in the same place, that's got to be down to design, hasn't it?

The main reason screed cracks is the D49 is at the base of the screed and not in the middle .

Same reason screed still cracks with steel mesh embedded mate. Outside forces. Rendering will be for a multitude of different reasons. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible.
You'll know as well as I do that on site the same plot types will have cracks in the same place, that's got to be down to design, hasn't it?

fuuck off andy
your the reason why fish fingers have gone up to
£7.75 a box

gonna send Fin to you for a while
il have him back when he's fit to earn

@Danny my little faces things have ceased to exist