Grey plaster/plaster board with gold flecks?

Members online

Crmnns

Hi

I’m getting some work done on my roof and the aftermath has been bits of plaster falling from my bedroom ceiling. There’s 9 or 10 1inch in diameter circles that have fallen and have exposed the nails in the board. I have absolutely no experience with anything to do with plastering so please excuse my ignorance. I’m assuming boards are put up then skimmed over? And in this case the nails/screws have shook from all the hammering and banging as my roof was being repaired and a little circle of plaster from over the top of the nail/screw has popped off. Normally wouldn’t give it a moments thought until I’d taken a picture to show the person who was going to stick polyfilla over and paint it and they pointed out they hadn’t seen plaster/plasterboard look like this. It is grey with what looks like little gold flecks in it, then they proceeded to tell me it’s ‘probably asbestos or something’ and now I’m terrified. I’m going to upload a few pictures tomorrow but in the mean time does anyone know what the gold bits are? House was built in the 1940s but had extensive building work 5 years ago where a downstairs bathroom was moved upstairs, staircase moved and an extension to the rear which makes me think that 1)landlord would know if asbestos is present in the property 2) may have had any removed? The obvious answer is to ask them but due to them being extremely unwell at the minute, I am not able to communicate with them

Hi, you get white asbestos in artex ceilings done before the late 80s. This is safe to skim/board over. You’d only have a reason to worry if you took a sander to it.

Ive no idea what the gold bits are though

Hi

I’m getting some work done on my roof and the aftermath has been bits of plaster falling from my bedroom ceiling. There’s 9 or 10 1inch in diameter circles that have fallen and have exposed the nails in the board. I have absolutely no experience with anything to do with plastering so please excuse my ignorance. I’m assuming boards are put up then skimmed over? And in this case the nails/screws have shook from all the hammering and banging as my roof was being repaired and a little circle of plaster from over the top of the nail/screw has popped off. Normally wouldn’t give it a moments thought until I’d taken a picture to show the person who was going to stick polyfilla over and paint it and they pointed out they hadn’t seen plaster/plasterboard look like this. It is grey with what looks like little gold flecks in it, then they proceeded to tell me it’s ‘probably asbestos or something’ and now I’m terrified. I’m going to upload a few pictures tomorrow but in the mean time does anyone know what the gold bits are? House was built in the 1940s but had extensive building work 5 years ago where a downstairs bathroom was moved upstairs, staircase moved and an extension to the rear which makes me think that 1)landlord would know if asbestos is present in the property 2) may have had any removed? The obvious answer is to ask them but due to them being extremely unwell at the minute, I am not able to communicate with them

Its bonding which has perlite in it (shiny bits) then skim over the top...just crack on with filling & painting and stop being a fanny!

I’m sure way back bg ran a Charley and the chocolate factory type thing for these gold bits
Some of the older guys might remember