Faster? Machine or Hand

Sooner or later it will all be machine, inside & out, Mark my words.........we’ve been inventing machines to do work for years, and there is always the tribe that say “it’s quicker/better by hand”........but eventually they capitulate........
Hand saw - circular saw- track saw
Hammer - nail gun- finish nail gun
Bath/tub/board - mixer- mtec or similar
Podge- bike sprocket on stick- electric drill - purpose made whisk

I could go on..........
Embrace the change philistines.........

good man clemo.....i was having a heart attack at gordon setting me up to race 3 men and a machine lol.

felt like i was getting forced into an abandoned warehouse to bare knuckle 3 greedy spreads.

@gps put your footy bets up stop volounteering me ....my life is hard enough lol.

Don’t you worry @algeeman I would see it was a good clean contest you vs 1 man & machine starting from arrival in vans, we would be quids in don’t worry about that.
If you kept it in your pants life wouldn’t be so hard would it lol

Last edited:
Hire a machine and see it yourself, or better hire a machine with a machine man. Soon makes your mind up

Sooner or later it will all be machine, inside & out, Mark my words.........we’ve been inventing machines to do work for years, and there is always the tribe that say “it’s quicker/better by hand”........but eventually they capitulate........
Hand saw - circular saw- track saw
Hammer - nail gun- finish nail gun
Bath/tub/board - mixer- mtec or similar
Podge- bike sprocket on stick- electric drill - purpose made whisk

I could go on..........
Embrace the change philistines.........
The things that hold machines back are; the obvious one, cost and the fact that most spreads are too thick.
Most spreads I've met over the years don't even want to spend out on a decent hopup even if they can afford to, let alone pay many thousands on a machine.
If a machine could be developed that really was as simple as plug and play it would make a massive difference IMO.
Water flow rates, back pressure, numbers flickering like f**k on the back of the machine and not forgetting the million and one different types of rotor and stator that no one has ever explained what all the different letters/numbers mean. It's almost as if they deliberately use a different language to keep us in the dark.
Anyway that's just my opinion.

The things that hold machines back are; the obvious one, cost and the fact that most spreads are too thick.
Most spreads I've met over the years don't even want to spend out on a decent hopup even if they can afford to, let alone pay many thousands on a machine.
If a machine could be developed that really was as simple as plug and play it would make a massive difference IMO.
Water flow rates, back pressure, numbers flickering like f**k on the back of the machine and not forgetting the million and one different types of rotor and stator that no one has ever explained what all the different letters/numbers mean. It's almost as if they deliberately use a different language to keep us in the dark.
That’s what they said about tractors, cars, motorbikes, ..........eventually people will wonder why anyone ever used a whisk..........

I'm not convinced that machine setup/clean out is the issue with using them for finish plaster but the actual process once it's on the wall ceiling. You're faced with having to deal with a surface that closely resembles Tyrolean, with loads of trapped air gagging to get via thousands of pimples/blisters.
The set up and clean down is the slow part of it. But the air bubbles the sponge float will sort them out no problem. But BG don't use it in the videos. Plus it's better to fill out the joints and around beads by hand b4 u spray.

There is one. It's a diesel machine Andy lol

work in the north west is pathetic.....machines a
Don’t you worry @algeeman I would see it was a good clean contest you vs 1 man & machine starting from arrival in vans, we would be quids in don’t worry about that.

id have a good skin full and a lie in to give him a head start then finish his day for him out of guilt lol

That's the last time I sprays skim. Do it by hand now tbh
Why's that Clemo?
I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge into the machine world, been surfing & lurking for ages listening to everyone's opinion & still non the wiser really?
Are they a bitch to use with skim then & do you need different lances for different gear etc?

Why's that Clemo?
I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge into the machine world, been surfing & lurking for ages listening to everyone's opinion & still non the wiser really?
Are they a bitch to use with skim then & do you need different lances for different gear etc?
Yes Jay you need a whole different setup for skim. Rotor/stator, gun and pipes.

Why's that Clemo?
U need spray skim. Plus the over spray go's everywhere. It's just not worth the hassle. I'd not buy a machine for skimming tbh.

Why's that Clemo?

I have seen many people talk about spraying skim on here and in the 15 years (or whatever it is now) I have never seen anyone do it well enough for long enough... the nearest I have seen it is using knauf Airless plaster....

Knauf Airless Finishing is the answer to machine spraying, no water, no cleaning pipes out every day, clean and fast and a consistent finish. If any one wants to see the / use the system contact Knauf for a demonstration or attend one fo our spray events, I am sure Danny will be organising another one soon.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 2018-03-13 10.29.19.jpg
    2018-03-13 10.29.19.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 246
In all seriousness I’m gonna be totally impartial here and state that I blame all the machine making companies and and the plaster manufacturers for spraying skim or types of plaster for not taking off in this country, there all over priced and not compact or versatile enough for plasterers what ever line of the trade we are in , tbh it’s really disappointing as a passionate plasterer to see they just ain’t sorted us all out with what we need and been wanting for years ,

Agree with clemo tbh by hand has many advantages that may always be the way , maybe that’s a good thing

In all seriousness I’m gonna be totally impartial here and state that I blame all the machine making companies and and the plaster manufacturers for spraying skim or types of plaster for not taking off in this country, there all over priced and not compact or versatile enough for plasterers what ever line of the trade we are in , tbh it’s really disappointing as a passionate plasterer to see they just ain’t sorted us all out with what we need and been wanting for years ,

Agree with clemo tbh by hand has many advantages that may always be the way , maybe that’s a good thing

i think the prices of trowles should be dropped aswell.