E.W.I SCRIM

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpyjoe

Hi all just wondering weather using metre scrim on internal plastering would be a good idea?? Walls are okay backing is fine he is just worried about cracks coming through obviously I would have scrimed all cracks usuall method. But i was thinking of giving it a go surely it can only help! He doesn't want to go to the expense of knocking off and reboarding any advise or thoughts would be appreciated thanks guys!

Hi all just wondering weather using metre scrim on internal plastering would be a good idea?? Walls are okay backing is fine he is just worried about cracks coming through obviously I would have scrimed all cracks usuall method. But i was thinking of giving it a go surely it can only help! He doesn't want to go to the expense of knocking off and reboarding any advise or thoughts would be appreciated thanks guys!
This is a weird one I used it in my sister in laws 10 years ago, 1 meter fiba one,and it all crazed,though I put a tight coat of bonding on it first then multi and it sucked like mad..the walls where sand, lime.
My gut feeling was it dried to quick.
Again I have seen internal job done with it with no problems.

I agree Zombie, but if they only want to go re-skim route is it going to give it a better chance of not re-cracking if you use it? Loads of my overskims are over mainly solid walls but with hairlines.

I agree Zombie, but if they only want to go re-skim route is it going to give it a better chance of not re-cracking if you use it? Loads of my overskims are over mainly solid walls but with hairlines.

Possibly.....but are the same customers likely to pay for all the additional work of cutting to size all the scrim, applying an additional 3rd coat of skim and the cost of all the additional time and materials.

In my experience not very likely...i just give them an economy re- skim price and explain the pitfalls.

And a belt and braces price for hack off and new work. These sort of customers will take the cheaper option every single time.

Just ensure everythings laid out in a written quote and let them decide depending on their own budget.

There budget shouldn't become your problem, all you can do is give options.

Yeah, just wondered if it's any good? I say to customers(Victorian build usually or 30's 40's) there's hairlines you might get some come back. Usually ok until they have a new Woodburner fitted and then cracks (previously only central heating) does meshing whole wall help much?

Yeah, just wondered if it's any good? I say to customers(Victorian build usually or 30's 40's) there's hairlines you might get some come back. Usually ok until they have a new Woodburner fitted and then cracks (previously only central heating) does meshing whole wall help much?

Tbh... I think yes it would help..I think its got to really.....

Never done it myself on internals...find it a ballache on ewi work. Guess not to bad if self adhesive like scrim and goes on first then skim..
If needed to be bedded down with skim recon would be a pain....

My thinking was that it would only help and give it more rigidity. I've not used it either but if self adhesive then might give it a go on the next one. Not gonna bed it in either, f**k that, those days are over thankfully. only had a couple of really bad experiences with Victorian walls where had a lot of hairlines and I know it was caused by the woodburner each time, roaring a heat out and expanding the original substrate, something I always ask now before taking on a patchwork quilt. Below windows above door cracks etc always come back, I carry a tub of polycell crack-free around with me and leave them a dollop, customers love that touch I've found.

Interesting point this
First thing I think is if you was going to pva and scrim over the hairline cracks there is always bits of scrim that catch trowel and come off then you either get ya fingers blobbed into the plaster to put it back on or leave it on floor and carry on.. Thinking what if the roll start squashing around on the wall causing a ball ache would drive me mad and would have to put skim on thicker ?
If anyone does do it let us know how it goes and pop up some pictures
Think same as zombie more work for spread for no reward of £££ off the customer though.

yes the bunching thing could be a pain, usually sharp Stanley knife and bed in, but getting PVA and scrim sheet co-ordination could be difficult. Gonna think on that and will revert

yes the bunching thing could be a pain, usually sharp Stanley knife and bed in, but getting PVA and scrim sheet co-ordination could be difficult. Gonna think on that and will revert

I would let PVA dry first and then apply scrim if I was doing it

Thanks for your advice people! The walls are really not that bad just a few airlines there solid! He is willing to pay that bit more for time and materials. So I'm going to give it ago prob going to stick it on when pva is tacky. Surely it can only help will take pics and let you know cheers guys

I've literally just done two rooms using this method must say it trowels up nice can't speak to the cracks coming back cos that probably won't happen for months yet I just cut a load with bit extra like wallpaper then pva wall bed in with multi let that go in pva then skim long winded I know but worth it,cost wasn't a worry in that job though

Was that two coats in total or bed in leave then 2 coat skim making total of 3?
The one to bed in doesn't have to be thick but I done mine so mesh was covered to make easier on skimming so could say 3 coats in theory yes does seem effort in doing that way but always worth doing these things on certain jobs if you can get it into price it's hard though cos it's more material and a extra day prep

I used a bit Wer we knocked wall dwn . Put strips of plasterboard an dubbed ceiling out 50/50 skim an bondin an used metre scrim over strips. Turned out well

Has anybody bedded this into a sand and cement scratch coat? Wonder would it be a ball ache especially if sand is course. I have used it on ewi only.

Has anybody bedded this into a sand and cement scratch coat? Wonder would it be a ball ache especially if sand is course. I have used it on ewi only.

I use it all the time on stress points on external s&c.
It is a pain with the coarse sand I use in Ireland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No probs @BigK it was for a gable I've coming up its red brick with a couple of cracks stepping up the joints was thinking of bedding into the whole area. Will be scudding then scratch and top. I suppose if the scudd is well cooled it should be ok.

No probs @BigK it was for a gable I've coming up its red brick with a couple of cracks stepping up the joints was thinking of bedding into the whole area. Will be scudding then scratch and top. I suppose if the scudd is well cooled it should be ok.

Be a good job with the mesh in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot easier than eml and get on a lot flatter as well I normally knock up a gorrilla tub of s&c and take a small bucket and wet down if i use external before scratch coat ain't had a problem yet

Nice one pagey sounds good, cheers.
No probs mate I've picked up a few tips off here and I've only been doing some of this stuff recently so I'm still learning and feel confident that I'm getting it right

No probs mate I've picked up a few tips off here and I've only been doing some of this stuff recently so I'm still learning and feel confident that I'm getting it right
That's it mate it's always good to learn wee tips from others experience and not on a paying customers house.

The whole wall is with mesh under the scratch coat. Always use it if there is a doubt.

Attachments

• E.W.I SCRIM
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
Status
Not open for further replies.