Does this look right to you?

Members online

Chipie

Hi all, I’ve got someone doing some plastering work. To me it looks really messy. The boards don’t meet and when asked about the gaps between the boards he said he would dab the gaps to fill them in, put tape over then skim. Just been to inspect and there are some gaps big enough to put my finders in with tape over them and not filled in. Surely skimming over this will cause cracking? He also seems to be using multiple off cuts instead of fresh piece to do round window frames, surely the more joins isn’t best practice. Also some of the boards around the windows are damaged. Massive gaps around sockets that have been taped, presumably he will just skim over these. Also the there are gaps in the ceiling boards some big enough to put my thumb into. How are these supposed to be filled or are they just taped and skimmed over? Please see the many photos attached.

Hi all, I’ve got someone doing some plastering work. To me it looks really messy. The boards don’t meet and when asked about the gaps between the boards he said he would dab the gaps to fill them in, put tape over then skim. Just been to inspect and there are some gaps big enough to put my finders in with tape over them and not filled in. Surely skimming over this will cause cracking? He also seems to be using multiple off cuts instead of fresh piece to do round window frames, surely the more joins isn’t best practice. Also some of the boards around the windows are damaged. Massive gaps around sockets that have been taped, presumably he will just skim over these. Also the there are gaps in the ceiling boards some big enough to put my thumb into. How are these supposed to be filled or are they just taped and skimmed over? Please see the many photos attached.View attachment 33962View attachment 33963View attachment 33964View attachment 33965View attachment 33967View attachment 33968View attachment 33970View attachment 33972View attachment 33973
Not good. not a problem if your a good plastrer don't think it crack whith tape. But if the joint were butted together very tight that when you got a problem. You need a little gap not that much lol. The idea is for the skim to get hold between joints. Just hope the skimming better than the plasterboarding

I think I’ve found your problem, wheat crunchies and a monster for dinner. @lurpak you love a monster. A good spread will salvage that, that chancer is going to ruin your house.

Bit messy but as above, you could still do a good finish on it. If I was going over that I’d personally fill with bonding a few bits prior to skim, eg round the sockets.

Hopefully you’ll be reassured by his finish. Let us know how you get on!

Thats a pukka job job done by a proper spread , looking forward to the end result, pm me his number I'm doing refurb for Kate and Will and I'm a bit behind

will be interesting to see how that turns out after skimming but i agree it's pretty fkg messy.....no care and attention to detail whatsoever and doesn't inspire confidence in the paying customer hence the post on here
Customers fault ( probably ) cheap quote , blind choice

Shoddy, messy, rough work! There is no pride taken in that at all. If he’s boarding is like that I doubt very much he’s finishing is going to be any better!
But as a slight consolation it’s nothing that a decent spread and a tin of foam can’t get over.
Good luck!

Shoddy, messy, rough work! There is no pride taken in that at all. If he’s boarding is like that I doubt very much he’s finishing is going to be any better!
But as a slight consolation it’s nothing that a decent spread and a tin of foam can’t get over.
Good luck!
Are you sure , close look at screws and lack of in stud , , be alright till someone presses middle of board , that's poor for diy , not a clue

Yeah definitely don’t think that’s gonna end well unless he’s booted off the job mate.
I'm a really nice , helpful bloke and not being aggressive, stuck up , full of myself , just hate people getting ripped off , fair enough I'm OTT but not saying anything I wouldn't say to the blokes face , perfectly happy to listen to excuses , we all get asked to cover sh,t , nice to have the challenge and find this repair work most interesting , if I was in it for money I'd be a millionaire

It was a mid way quote from 6 quotes. Also had recommendations.
I can understand 2 or 3 quotes but how donyou have patients to show the job 6 times ?
It looks rough now but if he does a good sweep out it would start to look better already , I don't know how lads work in a mess like that . Mention to him that you are concerned about all the gaps and ask him to make sure they are all well filled with joint filler before any skim is put on . It can still turn out to be a perfect finish

Mate your on to a loser here on two fronts. First of all can’t see that plasterer doing a good job of the plastering but you never know, those bits could be saved but it’s whither he does or not. And secondly everyone on here will just blame you for getting him to do the job, cheapest quote, and what not and will pick holes in everything you say.
Good luck!

I have skimmed worse than this that builders have done. If the margins are right and the walls are straight and plumb where needed i say give him a chance. This is not even a bad job in comparison to some of the s**t that comes on here.

I can understand 2 or 3 quotes but how donyou have patients to show the job 6 times ?
It looks rough now but if he does a good sweep out it would start to look better already , I don't know how lads work in a mess like that . Mention to him that you are concerned about all the gaps and ask him to make sure they are all well filled with joint filler before any skim is put on . It can still turn out to be a perfect finish
2 houses, wasn’t sure and still might split the jobs. Was dependent on cost and how quick I needed it completing. Most who quoted would do 1 then the other, don’t think they had the crew or wanted to ship any work out to do them concurrently.

Mate your on to a loser here on two fronts. First of all can’t see that plasterer doing a good job of the plastering but you never know, those bits could be saved but it’s whither he does or not. And secondly everyone on here will just blame you for getting him to do the job, cheapest quote, and what not and will pick holes in everything you say.
Good luck!
Of course it’s my fault, I hired him. It’s like if someone gets punched in their sleep, it’s their fault for sleeping
Don’t mind if they want to do have a go, I’m just looking for advice on whether this is how some people work and the finish is good, but mainly I want to know how to avoid loads of cracks later on. A few cracks are expected.