• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogmod

i recently removed my chimney breast, i dot and dabbed board to the wall, i now have "un dry" patches where the dots are, will this dry? do i need to treat the area before painting? i'm only a diy plasterer so don't have much experience beyond skimming

I've never had any dabs show through on my boards, are the plasterboards old ?

Also, aren't you skimming it anyway ?

i've had it happen a few times when the place is a bit damp. it always dries out though

i have skimmed it, thats how i can see the patches, its dryed a nice salmon pink everywhere except where the dabs are, which is darker, similar to when a skims still drying out. i boarded the whole wall, it is only showing patches in the area where the chimney breast was. its all well vented, i'm hoping its just moisture from in the chimney, as i said, its not damp anywhere else on the wall, and its a party wall, so no external problems. i will leave it to dry out a bit longer, just wanna get it painted now though!

when you say it's well ventilated, do you mean the room, or have you allowed for an air vent. Did you only dot'n'dab the opening rather then the whole chimney? If it was only the opening then you may see a contrast in colours due to diferent thickness's, but should dry ok. Also did you use scrim? This won't affect damp spots.

If you have completly removed the chimney breast and have no chimney breast at all,then the patches might be to do with the old soot that was present on the wall that is reacting with the dabs.

they're a darker pink than the rest of the wall. and there was plenty of soot on that part of the wall that i didn't bother to clean off.

Should idealy remove all lose materials before dot'n'dabing, as cement will be sticking to soot rather than brickwork. I suggest contacting the board manufactorer and explain the issue. Did you notice any discolouration in the board before skimming?

There is a chance that the dabs will always bleed through because of the soot,ideally you need to nutralise the soot before you do anything.One thing that is supposed to work is to spread cow muck on the wall.

so i need to get hold of a brickie with a damp patch and smoother him in yogurt? sounds a bit kinky to me. but I'll try anything once

dogmod said:
so i need to get hold of a brickie with a damp patch and smoother him in yogurt? sounds a bit kinky to me.
but I'll try anything once

Anything?? :-*

definitly the soot should have sbr then a coat of render on top as the soot will be drawing all the moisture from the air thats why youll always have damp patches where the dabs are

Status
Not open for further replies.