D+D onto solid wall no cavity

Notts101

Morning. Live in an 1880s solid brick no cavity. The old plaster was knackered in a few rooms so last year took it back to brick. Had a plasterer over who did dot and dab straight on to the brick, used normal plasterboard, not insulated.

I’m not a plasterer so assumed this was the right way, but since looking in to it a bit more, looks like should have probably done sand cement render or battened out and used insulated board.

it was done a year ago, and no visible problems. Just wondered whether I’m going to have any As have read about damp and mould problems when d+d this way, or should I be fine. Also planning to sell the house and move this year, so don’t really want to sink a load more cash into it if I don’t need to.

Cheers

You might get a condensation issue where the dabs are on the board, but only if there is high moisture in the house. Or you might get a penetrating damp issue where the dabs are if the external wall is wet.

Those are x2 possible issues who knows when they could rear there ugly head? but to be honest more concerning issues at the mo like COVID AND GEORGE FLOYD.

Should have dabbed with insulated boards on external walls...or batten and normal plasterboard/insulated board.

I would sell and move quick!