Coving straight after skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

spredz

I've done this probably only a couple of times with no problems but a mate of mine reckons it all blew off on him once has anyone else had this happen?

cheers
spredz

As long as the plaster has set it shouldn't be a problem whacking it staight up, i do it all the time.
What did he put it up with?
I know a lad who puts it up with easifill & he had a few comebacks on jobs where it came loose in places,
not sure if he coved it the same day or when plaster was dry though!
Sometimes pushing the cove to hard can leave no adhesive behind so once dry it'll come loose.

I never pva before cove, if plaster is dry i just dampen it down & give it a quick score then dampen again just before i apply each length. ;)
And use the correct adhesive then you'll have no comebacks.
Ok dib & dob adhesive is ok ;D

i use dry wall adhesive, it dont matter a f*ck if its wet if u temporarily support it with nails etc till the skim/comp goes off. PVA is a no no tho on wet skim cos its water based. as long as finish has set hard yer ok

jord218 said:
I use artex to put it up, as soon as the plaster is set. never have any probs. ;)

Never tried it with artex, but it would stay workable all day so could bang loads up i suppose.
Do you tack a few nails here & there till it's set when using the artex??

I used to fix fibrous cornice with tile adhesive and fill it next day with nutex filler ( not seen it for years) there still up now 20 years on

Nisus said:
jord218 said:
I use artex to put it up, as soon as the plaster is set. never have any probs. ;)

Never tried it with artex, but it would stay workable all day so could bang loads up i suppose.
Do you tack a few nails here & there till it's set when using the artex??

No nails just flip in to position stiks straight away, also good for filling any gaps in the corner if your in a rush and the corner is not bag on. like you said can be used all day and 1 bag last for ages, also a dam sight cheaper. make the mix creamy and it spreds nice and evenly on the coveing ;D ;D

artex too soft any damp or leaks and the whole lot is down. i cove onto new plaster when dried out no pva using joint filler its stays workable for ages but its a setting product not air drying when its set job is solid

plasterjfe said:
artex too soft any damp or leaks and the whole lot is down. i cove onto new plaster when dried out no pva using joint filler its stays workable for ages but its a setting product not air drying when its set job is solid

Each to their own mate. Ive just never had any problems using artex, but I do have some joint filler left over so will give it a go ;D

Sometimes i cove before i skim, it won't come off new board ;)
If it's a day job i'll overboard, cove, tape then skim.
This way there's no waiting around for plaster to set before cove goes up.
Trowel up then tools in van :-*

anyone tried the b&q lightweight coving. its fantastic and costs the same as normal and comes in 3.6m lengths

jord218 said:
plasterjfe said:

Artex will work and alot of people use it but as its only an air drying it will go soft if any moisture ggets on it but then i suppose if there is a leak you would have to rip it down anyway
I done loads on price a few years back and the joint filler was the prefered method thats all

Each to their own mate. Ive just never had any problems using artex, but I do have some joint filler left over so will give it a go ;D

plasterjfe said:
jord218 said:
plasterjfe said:

Artex will work and alot of people use it but as its only an air drying it will go soft if any moisture ggets on it but then i suppose if there is a leak you would have to rip it down anyway
I done loads on price a few years back and the joint filler was the prefered method thats all

I will deffinatly give a try, sounds good ;)

Stick it with owt thats at hand , tile ahd , artex etc but my favourite is dri wall ahd , even when the plaster is just setting , that way you get a monolithic bond , it will never come down , never had any probs or come backs

used lafarge coving addy for the first time today. nice stuff to use but it sets like f**k. had 2 mix up twice because some had set in the bucket where as if we use board addy it lasts for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.