Condensation mould

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gents,

Hope everybody has had a great xmas.

From what you said there is an obvious problem with the external render that is still causing a dampness problem, which is most probably not helping the situation. The internal sand and cement is masking the problem, making the wall colder. Mould and condensation are often confused by people as they think there the same thing, you don't need condensation for mould to form. Mould only needs sustained periods of high relative humidity (65%plus) to grow, condensation needs 100% rh. The boundary layer is always 5% higher than the middle of the room, did you measure the rh and dew point?

I will be doing surveying training towards the end of this year if you want to come along, all 1 to 1 basis.
And it's free :) but let someone know where you are and what time your meeting maybe even bring someone with you :)

What about a cottage floor with no dpm. Concrete underneath the laminate flooring is always wet. Should it be dug up and insulation and dpm put down

Hello gents,

Hope everybody has had a great xmas.

From what you said there is an obvious problem with the external render that is still causing a dampness problem, which is most probably not helping the situation. The internal sand and cement is masking the problem, making the wall colder. Mould and condensation are often confused by people as they think there the same thing, you don't need condensation for mould to form. Mould only needs sustained periods of high relative humidity (65%plus) to grow, condensation needs 100% rh. The boundary layer is always 5% higher than the middle of the room, did you measure the rh and dew point?

Yes, that's what I'm saying, render is a 'cold spot' attracting mould, which in this case won't really be helped by ventilation or dehumidifier s. The blown render/ pebble dash (both) on the outside does not help things. I don't need to measure RH as I know what's causing the problem from years doing this work.
I know the solution is to re do externals and put thermal board internally but moving rads, elec sockets, re papering, external rendering will run into £5k + and he's an old boy.
My cheap and cheerful solution would anti mould detol plus occaisional heat in damp area.
Cheers D4mp, I think we're both singing from the same hymn sheet :RpS_thumbup:

any my additional tips much appreciated please d4mp

p.s. Ignore the clown

What about a cottage floor with no dpm. Concrete underneath the laminate flooring is always wet. Should it be dug up and insulation and dpm put down

Liquid dpm is a possibility if you have a dpc in the wall to get continuity, if not dpm and new concrete floor might be the only answer.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, render is a 'cold spot' attracting mould, which in this case won't really be helped by ventilation or dehumidifier s. The blown render/ pebble dash (both) on the outside does not help things. I don't need to measure RH as I know what's causing the problem from years doing this work.
I know the solution is to re do externals and put thermal board internally but moving rads, elec sockets, re papering, external rendering will run into £5k + and he's an old boy.
My cheap and cheerful solution would anti mould detol plus occaisional heat in damp area.
Cheers D4mp, I think we're both singing from the same hymn sheet :RpS_thumbup:

any my additional tips much appreciated please d4mp

p.s. Ignore the clown

Cost will always come into the situation i'm afraid. Data is king when working out what is going on, perhaps I could send you a data logger this will tell you if its an internal rh problem, bedroom temps should be around 18 degrees. As the temperature drops the rh rises and then thats where the problems start. The rh normally rises in a bedroom around 2-3 am, this is when I have found them mould and condensation problems.

Did a bit of damp proofing for an old boy last summer in a sitting room and he called me back to do another couple of patches in a bedroom couple of weeks ago. Solid wall bungalow, rendered with s/c and sov rendermix. Cured the penetrating damp but now he's got condensation mould at low level in corners of the room.
Obviously this is caused by warm air condensation get on cold s/c areas ive done. Double glazed windows, no vents but claims he keeps the room warm and opens windows and I believe him.

Thing is, he's re papered and now got 'black dots' on paper and I know he can't afford d+d with thermal board. I don't think in this case a vent will help. Any recommendations for a cheap fix, I don't want him getting stitched up by a remedial damp co ?

Cheers
Go to the £ shop (the good ones:RpS_sneaky:) they sell these condensation thingys ,plastic tub about the size of your hand,place em near where the mould is, sorted , as long as you clean the mould off that's already there , these little beauties will solve your problem.
ive used em and they are fantastic

Last edited:
Cheers D4mp. I've solved his penetrating damp prob, it's in his sitting room but I'm not getting paid for the mould problem. I'm giving him free advice :RpS_mad:

Go to the £ shop (the good ones:RpS_sneaky:) they sell these condensation thingys ,plastic tub about the size of your hand,place em near where the mould is, sorted , as long as you clean the mould off that's already there , these little beauties will solve your problem

Do do they really work ? :RpS_w00t:

D4mp , for £400 I can send one of my boys to cure all your mould.
:RpS_lol::RpS_lol:,u won't be larfing when u try these,digging up floors and checking rh levels do me a favour, I had the problem on the 2nd floor flat I rent out,didn't know damp can rise 50ft:RpS_laugh:

Liquid dpm is a possibility if you have a dpc in the wall to get continuity, if not dpm and new concrete floor might be the only answer.

All walls are sealed with 50mm insulation board. Liquid dpm. Would it be ok without insulation underneath the floor

All walls are sealed with 50mm insulation board. Liquid dpm. Would it be ok without insulation underneath the floor

You need to sprinkle some special salt om it cooptaza which you won't get in Superquinn in Donegal. It's £600 incl delivery

This is from a survey where there has been a problem for a while now on a social housing property, all the previous surveyors got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.