Condensation mould

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_spread

Private Member
Did a bit of damp proofing for an old boy last summer in a sitting room and he called me back to do another couple of patches in a bedroom couple of weeks ago. Solid wall bungalow, rendered with s/c and sov rendermix. Cured the penetrating damp but now he's got condensation mould at low level in corners of the room.
Obviously this is caused by warm air condensation get on cold s/c areas ive done. Double glazed windows, no vents but claims he keeps the room warm and opens windows and I believe him.

Thing is, he's re papered and now got 'black dots' on paper and I know he can't afford d+d with thermal board. I don't think in this case a vent will help. Any recommendations for a cheap fix, I don't want him getting stitched up by a remedial damp co ?

Cheers

A dehumidifier would help,

normally I would agree John but while I was there he had the heating on warm, window slightly open. The mould is at low level (up to 2 ft) in corners. He did what I told him when I originally did job and moved furniture away from walls. I Don't want him to incur too much cost, he's a nice old boy but at the same time, I don't want him thinking it's my fault.
Im thinking maybe one of them small electric oil filled rads on low in the affected areas

these are life style problems. most prob. got a tumble dryer pumping out water. tell him to clean the walls off and spray with dettol mould off.

Has it got to be condensation? I'm a noob at this stuff but is it possible residual damp still in the bricks etc has found a way to come through where you've cured the problem but there is a gap in there somewhere for pre-existing water to find a way in?

normally I would agree John but while I was there he had the heating on warm, window slightly open. The mould is at low level (up to 2 ft) in corners. He did what I told him when I originally did job and moved furniture away from walls. I Don't want him to incur too much cost, he's a nice old boy but at the same time, I don't want him thinking it's my fault.
Im thinking maybe one of them small electric oil filled rads on low in the affected areas

the cheap way is use a mould cleaner then use anti mould paint

or inject it eddie.................its the only fool proof solution...................:RpS_unsure:

Cheers lads, yep Beddy that would help but don't want him to have to go to the expense of re papering, anti mould paint again involves re dec. I'm thinking detol etc plus occaisional heat near wall. Deffo warm air hitting cold wall as opposed to w/machine etc.
External pebbledash is blown which doesn't help so all in all to do the job properly would cost '000's

Tell him to put a nice pot plant in front of it so he can't see it.

Thinking about it, I could give him some of my flowers and some of my really warm lights, put them in all the rooms and come back every say, 8 weeks to check on them. Priceplastering my friend, you sir, are a genius :RpS_thumbsup:

I've stayed out of the clown thing until now but I have to say you do just sometimes bring it on yourself ryan:RpS_laugh:

Thinking about it, I could give him some of my flowers and some of my really warm lights, put them in all the rooms and come back every say, 8 weeks to check on them. Priceplastering my friend, you sir, are a genius :RpS_thumbsup:
give the old boy some of the profits each time then he could afford d+d with thermal boards then every ones a winner :RpS_thumbsup:

Cheers lads, yep Beddy that would help but don't want him to have to go to the expense of re papering, anti mould paint again involves re dec. I'm thinking detol etc plus occaisional heat near wall. Deffo warm air hitting cold wall as opposed to w/machine etc.
External pebbledash is blown which doesn't help so all in all to do the job properly would cost '000's
Is the rendering causing the problem ie keeping the wall cold constant? Maybe back it off just for now so the wall can dry? Has he got any pets? Does he drink a lot? What paint has been used? Have the low level vents all been blocked up? Maybe fit a PIV?

What about Drylyner RF ? One room at a time ?

Ryan, being called a clown is good if you work in a big tent, not if you work in houses that humans live in. You are Head Clown and you now have your own section so why don't you pedal that little bike of yours around there

Is the rendering causing the problem ie keeping the wall cold constant? Maybe back it off just for now so the wall can dry? Has he got any pets? Does he drink a lot? What paint has been used? Have the low level vents all been blocked up? Maybe fit a PIV?

Yep, John, it is the render making the wall cold, although the rest of it was rising damp treated lol some yrs ago. No vents, no piv, no pets. Trying to save the old boy money, may suggest a small elec oil filled rad, used occaisonally to warm the cold spots. My house I would obviuously do bib n braces but he's an OAP

Yep, John, it is the render making the wall cold, although the rest of it was rising damp treated lol some yrs ago. No vents, no piv, no pets. Trying to save the old boy money, may suggest a small elec oil filled rad, used occaisonally to warm the cold spots. My house I would obviuously do bib n braces but he's an OAP
Only cheap solution I can think of is stand his wheelie bins in front of the loose render :)

Status
Not open for further replies.