Cock ups and general mistakes!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freerider

So come on guys, I know some of you are perfect but we all know most of us are not!

So whats the worst cock ups you've made over the years and thought at the end of the job "**** me, hope customer doesn't pick up on that!"

Ive done lots of stupid things over the years, tiling bathrooms etc/ and forgetting to measure out the height of the bath and then when it comes to fitting theres a cut of about half an inch to the bath lol

Floated a window wall the other day, it was well pissed and also had a curve in it top to bottom, so I thought, **** levelling it out as theres a limit to how much Im going to level something, bricky should have atleast TRIED to build a wall correctly that day! anyway, set me beads up, made sure there was enough play so that when I got to the bottom of the wall it didnt run to nothing (had that before on another curved to **** wall), anyway got spreading, by time I got to the bottom the right hand side was about half an inch further out than the left, thus to close to the right hand rad pipe! so ****** if the guy is ever gonna get a skirt behind it again! unless he moves the rad pipe! all cos me right hand bead was slightly more angled than me left, what a ****, if I levelled them up it wouldnt have been an issue, but then Id have had about 2inches of gear on the top of the wall, no way hosay!

Anyway Ill try think of some proper bad ones, got plenty from when I was starting out but there expected! I wanna hear ones from us as "experienced" tradesman, some of the stuff I do I really do think to meself I gotta be the only **** out there doing it Lol :D and dont get me started on me clumsy side, Captain splash I think Im called now, ******* buckets of water :X

I once plastered over artex put to much weight on . Crash bang wallop over some grannys head having sunday dinner! Thank feck it was 15 years ago lol wasn't at the time paid the money back ye ha !

whilst living in usa went to look at a venetian plaster job for an interior designer who gave me very very good paying jobs 1 of which i had just finished and he liked very much and asked if i could do a little ceiling for him,of coursei said went and looked with him and it was a nothing job but worth $500 all the same.2 days later i go back to do it and a $15,000 marble imported dining table which had taken months to recieve had arrivedand put directly under this little ceiling.no prob put drop sheets on it and set some steps up 1 foot on them 1 on table it was sloid as fcuk .literally finished the ceiling but as you do had 1 last little mess ,forgot about what i was doing and took my foot of the ladder my weight se sawed the table in the air and crash ,bang ,wallop back down into hundreds of pieces.now im gutted made all the telephone calls needed , swept the table up put my tools in van started engine and promptly drove into the customers car,fcuk me now did i look a c**t or what.believe it or not i got paid for the job got more work in the house my insurance all paid up .

Nice one Rock............I once had a garage to re-dash, but after we got the old stuff off the bricks looked a little bit shiney for my liking so we mixed up a slurry (WITH P.V.A. IN IT - HANG ME!) and splattered everything with it. Unfortunately I mean everything cos the lintol above the garage door had a tiny little hole in it and when we opened the door to get the power cable back out the £70k ASTON MARTIN was covered in little flecks of grano dust, which the labourer was starting to attack by rubbing them off in nice circular motions till I screamed like a little girl at him to stop. Took the rest of the day to clean that fekka:RpS_scared:

fell down the gap between a a spiral stair case broke my wrist and pissed blood all over a new carpet but had to wait 2 hours for the owner to come back so I could get lifted out the hole...lol I felt like a right t**t :-D

turned up to meet a builder on a job i was due to start but he never showed, i'd forgotten my mobile phone so waited and waited, unloaded tools mixer etc materials into garage, drove home 15 miles and rang the builder , called him a t**t..... i'd only gone to the wrong house it was 2 streets away and he'd given me the wrong post code.

when to work in an upstairs flat years ago,all trades where working away in there,the spark had took up some floor boards and some bloke was chasing out the walls so plenty of dust about and never see the hole in the floor and my foot went straight through and the down stairs neighbours ceiling!So the joke was i had a private job downstairs to do:RpS_lol:

Walked in to the wrong house with all my tackle. Went all the way up to the top floor before I realised it was he house next door we were working on. Apparently it has happened a few times to the guy!

Told customer to paint whatever Walls he wanted re-skimming in his attic with thistle bond-it. Skimmed it weeks ago.
Spent yesterday stripping the skim, bond-it and a layer of s**t paint all off in one go. Bit of an expensive way of stripping a wall, but customer was ok as re-skimmed for nowt.

Then there's the odd 'pipe' in wall incidents. Bloody things. Flooded 3 jobs in my time. Never drop radiators now. You live you learn... and most importantly you make it up to the customer!!!!!

Walked in to the wrong house with all my tackle. Went all the way up to the top floor before I realised it was he house next door we were working on. Apparently it has happened a few times to the guy!

Told customer to paint whatever Walls he wanted re-skimming in his attic with thistle bond-it. Skimmed it weeks ago.
Spent yesterday stripping the skim, bond-it and a layer of s**t paint all off in one go. Bit of an expensive way of stripping a wall, but customer was ok as re-skimmed for nowt.

Then there's the odd 'pipe' in wall incidents. Bloody things. Flooded 3 jobs in my time. Never drop radiators now. You live you learn... and most importantly you make it up to the customer!!!!!

The pipe one always scares me, always think to meself when channeling walls, drilling, or generally just knocking about round rad pipes (all know the joints can have worked loose over time).. and half the time I have no idea where Id go to turn the water off! I guess thats what public liability is for :D

Well this is not really a cock up.but always brings a smile to my face.....Sitting at the dinning table with my ex misses some years age...said to her " after dinner I got to go over to my partners house and pick up the screeding rules for tomorrow " then there is a moments silence... her face grows a frown... deep in thought.she then looks at me and says... " why dont u bloody phone him and write the rules down on a bit of paper ! "

Was striking some scaffold down on a big hotel in Manor House in the early 80s and my mate dropped a puddy and killed a cat, nothing funnny about that but the next morning he dropped a 10 and it glanced of our scaffold straight through the flat roof next door and through the kitchen table the fellow came out of his patio doors with his bowl of corn flakes and looked up an said what the **** was`that about, i still laugh about it now.

worked on the wrong job for three days it was a high rise building in manchester they were doing a white sto finish outside, i was on the 20th floor mixing some grey stuff and sprayed the wall that had been finished so he got the lab to clean it off. He gets a brush and some dirty water and it dripped about 4 or five floors down and had to be redone. I was on a roof repair years ago where the window cleaner had put his ladders through a flat roof when the people where on holiday and ****** off and left it. denied all knowledge but the place had camera's everywhere so he was bang to rights. We repaired it and got a call an hour later saying there was smoke coming from the roof so we raced back and luckely the owners kid never went school that day or the place would have burned down. My mate who i was working for rips the felt and ply up and pours loads of water next thing the kid comes running out coz the water was pissing out of the ceiling all over the computer, It could of been worse.

latexing a 1 floor warehouse floor and the owner of the warehouse below comes screaming up the stairs shouting and swearing at us when i hask what was wrong turns out there was a hole in the floor and latex was pissing through all over the expensive electrical equiptment he had in the stock room absolutaly ****** the lot, come to think of it i did wonder why this floor was talking so much latex we used bout double what it should have had and i never even clocked the hole haha.
live and learn

a few years back i was tyroleaning an extension and my gun broke half way through so i just laid it all on then took the head off a stiff yard broom and gently patted the wall with it once it had pickded up haha dnt know if they noticed though i got paid but never actually met the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.