Cement board to drywall

Members online

Devon Crippler

Hi all just stripped the ensuite! The recessed shower walls (built in cubicle) have no studs, instead the builders who built the house placed a peice of drywall inbetween 2 plasterboards of all internal walls by the looks of it! Anyway..... ive taken off the 'face' plasterboards in the recessed shower are and now I am left with the bare internal plasterboard (the one sandwiched between 2 boards) looks like everything was dot and dabbed to each other! I've removed the dabs..... how can I fix Aquapanel to the plasterboard baring in mind there's no studs! Can I use drywall adhesive to dot and dab to the plasterboard that was sandwiched? And then screw into the dabs when hardened for extra support?..... hope I've managed to explain! Thanks

20220112_125328.jpg

Not sure if I'm explaining this or if you have seen this before! These walls in my 20 year old Westbury house are garbage. Instead of studding the frames/rooms out they have dot and dabbed strips of drywall between drywall for each each room!.... ive taken off all the plasterboards in the shower area and am just left with the drywall that's in the middle against the next room..... I dont want to put plasterboard on as a replacement. I want to use aquapanel which I've already bought. My question is because there's no studs. Can I fix the aquapanel to the meat in the sandwich board

I'm only planning to Aquapanel 1.2 metre high as the boards come in 1200 x 900 x 12.5 as the tray is 800 square! And finish the rest off with green board and then tank the lot.... so I'd like to hopefully dot and dab the Aquapanel to the 3 sides half way up..... but what's the best to fix with?

No I wouldn't dab aqua panel onto plasterboard
Come on!..... surely I can dab aquapanel to plasterboard at only 1.2m high..... Will the cement board bond with the plasterboard adhesive? And the panels are not that much heavier than plasterboard. And the panels are only small and won't have any weight from above as the green board will be hung separately....

Come on!..... surely I can dab aquapanel to plasterboard at only 1.2m high..... Will the cement board bond with the plasterboard adhesive? And the panels are not that much heavier than plasterboard. And the panels are only small and won't have any weight from above as the green board will be hung separately....
I personally wouldn't use Aquapanel in this situation. Get yourself a sheet of Glasroc H. It's easier to work with, lighter and made for tiling on to.
@The Apprentice is this what you'd use?
These Muppets won't even have heard of it.

Laminated Pb walls have a wood ‘frame’ around them. It’s piss pot!

Reinstate the layer of PB if you’ve fooked it off. Bond osb on with foam adhesive.

Fix proper tile backer board onto osb.

Put £599 in the post to me for saving you so much hassle

Hi bud

Don’t use gypsum dab adhesive with Aquapanel, the suction in Aquapanel pulls the water out the gypsum adhesive so it effects the cure (will work but not as strong) but issue more with moisture from the shower re-activating the gypsum dab adhesive later and tiled boards being heavy might just pull and fall off… use tile adhesive if you have to dab Aquapanel

There has to be studs or a sub-straight of some sort behind the boards you have left - unless they have been Sky-hooked in place… really would be best to take it back to sub-straight and build out to align from a rigid back - who knows what those boards you have are fixed to and how - like Andy said, probably bonded insulation backed boards, not a strong fix to whatever is behind…

Anyway - good luck
Richard

There's just a
Hi bud

Don’t use gypsum dab adhesive with Aquapanel, the suction in Aquapanel pulls the water out the gypsum adhesive so it effects the cure (will work but not as strong) but issue more with moisture from the shower re-activating the gypsum dab adhesive later and tiled boards being heavy might just pull and fall off… use tile adhesive if you have to dab Aquapanel

There has to be studs or a sub-straight of some sort behind the boards you have left - unless they have been Sky-hooked in place… really would be best to take it back to sub-straight and build out to align from a rigid back - who knows what those boards you have are fixed to and how - like Andy said, probably bonded insulation backed boards, not a strong fix to whatever is behind…

Anyway - good luck
Richard
There's just a Batten at the top and bottom

If there is a batten top and bottom, I would take out what boards are already there, fix vertical studs in between the top and bottom studs at max 600mm centres, fill inbetween with insulation and fix the new boards to them…

Hope this helps
Richard

The batten is usually only about 30mm square (ish)

Not sure if I'm explaining this or if you have seen this before! These walls in my 20 year old Westbury house are garbage. Instead of studding the frames/rooms out they have dot and dabbed strips of drywall between drywall for each each room!.... ive taken off all the plasterboards in the shower area and am just left with the drywall that's in the middle against the next room..... I dont want to put plasterboard on as a replacement. I want to use aquapanel which I've already bought. My question is because there's no studs. Can I fix the aquapanel to the meat in the sandwich board
Plasterply new one on me. I will check the patent register.

Y

Yes your right.... not enough to fix a stud to

I’ve told you how to do it, but may have misinterpreted where you’re at. If the middle layer of Pb is still attached and virtually flush with the stud frame, then just clean the dabs off, get some instastik foam and bond osb over the top. You can get a few screws in around the edges. You can then screw on whatever backer board/Pb you want and you’ll have a really solid wall (relatively speaking) I’ve done it before.

Failing that, build a new stud wall.

Get some 2x1 timber to use as studs then…

Better to have something to fix a board to, than nothing….

I was confronted with the dreaded laminate Pb wall a few years back. Think it was 2 9mm boards with something like 20mm board in the middle. Pissy wood frame around the edges, nothing running vertically in the middle.

It was all coming apart, but the lounge was on the other side and all well papered. Carefully removed the layers leaving one 9mm wall papered wall, dabbed the middle layer back on then bonded osb on, before tile backer boards. No room to build a stud frame as bathroom was tiny and there was a wall hung basin to be fitted and grab rails.

5762F099-1470-4A01-ACA9-3CC5CDE449BA.jpeg
1BBE7F06-DE78-49ED-945B-53AB29AD35A8.jpeg
21E17FA0-9AB2-4B57-809F-1C545B472D3E.jpeg
EA4C0DE9-F47E-44AF-BC77-11E0E57BC000.jpeg

If anything is moisture resistant or waterproof the adhesive will not stick to it

If there is a batten top and bottom, I would take out what boards are already there, fix vertical studs in between the top and bottom studs at max 600mm centres, fill inbetween with insulation and fix the new boards to them…

Hope this helps
Richard
When he says batten, he really means batten, not a piece of stud. This system can't be converted to studwork, it's a whole different ball game.