ceiling cracked every joint

i agree, but we have to teach certain stuff to enable the learners to pass exams, once they leave college they start to learn the ways to earn them money, (y) i understand why a lot on here don't agree with some stuff we have to teach, but its like driving you learn to pass your test then learn to drive
I totally agree it needs to be taught I think the classroom stuff should be cut back a bit cos if we honest the average kid/man who becomes a Plasterer isn’t the sort who enjoyed being in a classroom

Woo hoo I just passed advanced brickwork.

2017-09-12_19.39.55-1.jpg

Oh balls I ate the crayon :(.

We’ve hit page 3 now with this thread , did anyone ask the op if he actually did put any tape on before he skimmed it , just thinking it could be that

:whistle:

I reckon he looking for an answer has got it but won’t accept it, the regulars will know this is me fishing for a bite lol

Boards are supposed to be butt fitted now if
I honk a lot don’t use paper tape as it’s seen as long winded to put up but if bg are so intent on saying paper tape should be used why do they also make and sell scrim? It’s because there is a market for it
You need to read The White Book mate.

I have a white books a hard copy as well I shall seek what your saying out lol
That reply of mine came out all wrong, I thought that I'd deleted the first line.
I meant have a look in The White Book regarding fibre and paper tapes and where to use.

hello all
having a bit of a problem with a newly plastered ceiling, every joint has opened up hairlines down the board's length and some wider ones on the width joints.
The ceiling screwed up tight (no popped heads) fibre taped every joint tapered edge boards 2 coats of multi 2 separate mixes. 3.4 w x 5 ish .
clearly shrunk in my opinion client saying no heat was put on, but its the room with the only sky tv.
Boards came from Wickes to the job in 10 min no rain. (possibly Knauf sending out boards with maybe higher than normal moisture content ??(in these lean times money to be saved there) but is anything sounding familiar here?
The leccy turned up as we were finished and clearing up to pull lighting cables to the 2 ceiling lights (apparently did this without needing to enter the room above the ceiling.
I've been to easifil it once now she wants it done again
does anything sound familiar, or seeing anything similar out there cause it's not making much sense to me.
Thanks for any replies

i only read the title not the rest of the thread.....and im 100% sure its not the plastering.
every joint cracking surley isnt the plasterers fault.
ive skimmed that many ceilings on new build and refurb
your timbers have moved for what ever reason.
which you need to fix.

hi all
thanks for the responses,
I learnt something from the thread that people are still using paper tape,
haven't used a roll of that in 20 yrs.
fibre tape was such a godsend I've never looked back
so still unsure why it cracked probably down to the spark lifting floorboards above and nailing em back down.
48 hr green ceiling won't take that,
cheers all

hi all
thanks for the responses,
I learnt something from the thread that people are still using paper tape,
haven't used a roll of that in 20 yrs.
fibre tape was such a godsend I've never looked back
so still unsure why it cracked probably down to the spark lifting floorboards above and nailing em back down.
48 hr green ceiling won't take that,
cheers all

I have never used paper tape :( I think I might do on my next job

Gaps between boards was only for when we used to butter the joint with skim prior to the hessian scrim going on . How much of the skim that goes over the fiber tape would fill any gaps left ?

Gaps between boards was only for when we used to butter the joint with skim prior to the hessian scrim going on . How much of the skim that goes over the fiber tape would fill any gaps left ?

It use to be one tack distance :D Now I just bosh them together :D

hello all
having a bit of a problem with a newly plastered ceiling, every joint has opened up hairlines down the board's length and some wider ones on the width joints.
The ceiling screwed up tight (no popped heads) fibre taped every joint tapered edge boards 2 coats of multi 2 separate mixes. 3.4 w x 5 ish .
clearly shrunk in my opinion client saying no heat was put on, but its the room with the only sky tv.
Boards came from Wickes to the job in 10 min no rain. (possibly Knauf sending out boards with maybe higher than normal moisture content ??(in these lean times money to be saved there) but is anything sounding familiar here?
The leccy turned up as we were finished and clearing up to pull lighting cables to the 2 ceiling lights (apparently did this without needing to enter the room above the ceiling.
I've been to easifil it once now she wants it done again
does anything sound familiar, or seeing anything similar out there cause it's not making much sense to me.
Thanks for any replies

Were you one of those Bods who tack 'along' the joists rather than the correct way 'across' the joists?
Just a thought, but usually the reason when cracking as you describe here :-(