Bad crack big ceiling

Pezzi

I’m hoping for some advice here basically Iv put a good 30 35 meter ceiling on, over the old grey stuff that sucks in like mad!! I screwed up all loose boards skrimmed every crack and gave it 2 coats SBR the day before. Went back yesterday and all the main cracks have come back including one that’s about 2m long. I’m abit confused as Iv double checked and there is no movement on the boards and I definitely used plenty of joint tape??

Attachments

• C70DB6A3-72E7-41FF-916B-526F7A1C19DC.jpeg
    C70DB6A3-72E7-41FF-916B-526F7A1C19DC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 348
  • 174760F3-F44F-45E0-B955-B28CAAE972FC.jpeg
    174760F3-F44F-45E0-B955-B28CAAE972FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 334
  • 44EC789D-AEEF-4B0E-9925-46C5AB856D16.jpeg
    44EC789D-AEEF-4B0E-9925-46C5AB856D16.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 315
  • 634CFCD0-9768-43B4-BD13-294205DF87D4.jpeg
    634CFCD0-9768-43B4-BD13-294205DF87D4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 368
Could be a number of things , i take it you mean a tile backer board ? The grey stuff that sucks like mad ? Imo sbr is something i wouldnt use in plastering prep , there are better and more suitable products out there , but like i said the cracks could come from a number of reasons nothing to do with sbr .

Old grey stuff? - What is that?
Main cracks have come back? - What they were there in the original finish you have gone over?

Could be a number of things , i take it you mean a tile backer board ? The grey stuff that sucks like mad ? Imo sbr is something i wouldnt use in plastering prep , there are better and more suitable products out there , but like i said the cracks could come from a number of reasons nothing to do with sbr .
No not grey boards, I mean old style plaster, it’s grey in colour and used in 60/70s I think. They did have the fire on as it was such a big room. The only thing I could put it down to was movement in the actual house as the ceiling makes up about 65% of the whole downstairs

No not grey boards, I mean old style plaster, it’s grey in colour and used in 60/70s I think. They did have the fire on as it was such a big room. The only thing I could put it down to was movement in the actual house as the ceiling makes up about 65% of the whole downstairs
Also what other products are similar to SBR whenever Iv used it it’s always been spot on?

I’m hoping for some advice here basically Iv put a good 30 35 meter ceiling on, over the old grey stuff that sucks in like mad!! I screwed up all loose boards skrimmed every crack and gave it 2 coats SBR the day before. Went back yesterday and all the main cracks have come back including one that’s about 2m long. I’m abit confused as Iv double checked and there is no movement on the boards and I definitely used plenty of joint tape??
Would of been better with pre grit control the suction better

Mid joists overboarding
Your welcome

so what are you saying? Is that the problem or the solution

I was just joking with bof, as the possibility he suggested is a kind of in-joke here on TPF (but it can actually be a real problem in some properties, if a ceiling wasn't boarded properly). Without seeing your ceiling when it was only partially boarded, I can't know for certain how you aligned the boards (and their edges) with the joists, but hollybank rightly pointed out that what is visible is that you didn't stagger the board joints, so you are increasing the likelihood of cracks reappearing.

Sorry for any confusion.

I was just joking with bof, as the possibility he suggested is a kind of in-joke here on TPF (but it can actually be a real problem in some properties, if a ceiling wasn't boarded properly). Without seeing your ceiling when it was only partially boarded, I can't know for certain how you aligned the boards (and their edges) with the joists, but hollybank rightly pointed out that what is visible is that you didn't stagger the board joints, so you are increasing the likelihood of cracks reappearing.

Sorry for any confusion.
O okay no worries pal Just want to say though I didn’t board it I just put some extra screws in and over skimmed

Number of reasons it could of cracked like it has been said. Lighting the fire wouldn’t of helped, can dry it out fast and shrink at the joints. Always better to over board and have the plasterboard cover the original cracks.

Did you get a lift with the ceiling hard on your own with that much suction
O that’s good then Il use that soon and see what it’s about. And yeah definitely got a lift with it! It took nearly 4 bags. I go of a hop up aswell my pal uses stilts but it’s not something Iv been keen to pick up aha

Number of reasons it could of cracked like it has been said. Lighting the fire wouldn’t of helped, can dry it out fast and shrink at the joints. Always better to over board and have the plasterboard cover the original cracks.
Yeah Iv put it down to drying to quickly myself they said it was almost dry in 24. The cracks wasn’t massive and over boarding would of been a nightmare. Iv just never seen it before at first I just thought it was down to house movement as it’s so big

O that’s good then Il use that soon and see what it’s about. And yeah definitely got a lift with it! It took nearly 4 bags. I go of a hop up aswell my pal uses stilts but it’s not something Iv been keen to pick up aha
Nice misses

Tungsten scraper make 20mm wide and 2-3mm deep channel, Seal. Fibre fuse tape cut to width. Set in channel with toupret filler. Sand, prime paint.
You can use paper tape as just as good but not so easy to use use although I pva the paper. No bump or sign of tape and fingers crossed.

Guess you used scrim. Orange is best but it not great and holding cracks back imo.

Tungsten scraper make 20mm wide and 2-3mm deep channel, Seal. Fibre fuse tape cut to width. Set in channel with toupret filler. Sand, prime paint.
You can use paper tape as just as good but not so easy to use use although I pva the paper. No bump or sign of tape and fingers crossed.

Not heard of that approach - just freewheeling with my thinking, but I suppose you could achieve something similar using a wall-chaser set to a 3mm depth.

@MakeItSmooth
Some have used electric wood plainer hooked to vacuum. Cant vouch for that but I use fibre fuse and the small tungsten bahco scraper. Easy to do. No bump. Wall chaser is too heavy imo and messy..

Will have to paper tape them. Get a rool from Toolstation and Toupret Interior filler. Fill over crack...tape over filler with paper tape...use spatular with force to get as flat as possible bedding into filler...fill out tape feathering out either side around 3-4 inches - leave overnight and then sand back with Festool 120 grade with vacuum attachment.

Only way mate. Old ceilings overboard or embed glass fibre mesh to avoid cumbacks.