Carpet damage and dustsheets

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen123

I had a plasterer in to take down the old ceiling above my stairs and replace with new. Whilst he said there would be a lot of mess and that my carpets would be ruined, I assumed there would be dustsheets down & was prepared for a lot of dust but thought carpets should be largely protected so we were talking dust. Came home to find new fresh plaster all over the carpets. Wondered if anyone could offer opinion on photos as to whether carpet damage in photos should have been expected by me / would be possible if protected (as I am now told they were) or this is poor practice. Many thanks!

Attachments

• 26012014255.jpg
    26012014255.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,217
  • 26012014254.jpg
    26012014254.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,277
did you intend on keeping the carpets? have you paid him? if the answer to both of those is yes then dont ever use him again, he is clearly a ******.

He should have put sheets down in my opinion unless you said you were throwing them away straight after the job and even then I would still put sheets down... unless its on a wooden slippy stairs then I wont as that tends to lead to accidents...

Danny

Even if they going I always cover up it's easier to clean up unless I'm taking carpets up myself straight after

It's not good practice and I personally would sheet up and would not leave that sort of a mess.

However, it sounds like he told u the carpet would be ruined and you've accepted that so I can sort of see why he didn't bother. My advise is to just get a new carpet and forget about it.

I wouldn't of even turned up to do the job the place is hacking. Although the guy should have put sheets down im guessing the customer is probably looking for an excuse to get carpets cleaned or even new ones.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Didn't say I was ditching carpets. Just naively expected good practice I've seen by others, that dustsheets would go down & would offer some protection to carpets & cleaning carpets after would sort out.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Didn't say I was ditching carpets. Just naively expected good practice I've seen by others, that dustsheets would go down & would offer some protection to carpets & cleaning carpets after would sort out.
how much did you pay the"plasterer"..and how long was he there helen?

He should of put sheets down he must of assumed you were throwing it when he said it would be ruined but looking at it it's ruined anyway? What are you going to suggest to him and have you payed him and how much?

It sounds like he did explain to you about them being ruined , personally if the customer is keeping carpet i use roll and stroll ( sticky plastic sheeting) and this would be charged onto the price , stairs etc are hard to keep sheeted out when you are up and down them all day so he might not of wanted to say to you ' your carpets will be fine' as they probably wouldnt ..... Sounds to me he explained well enough that the carpet would be nackered so how blame him ? Its not the way i would word it/ complete the job

**** me just sort it out with him and stop the F*****g witch hunt....these customers posting 1 msg just to ask opinions after works been done are realy doing my head in....

you just know that they are the 1s that will have had half there towns spreads out to price a 2 day job and then gone with cheapest scrote and then moan about them after...

shoot me if im wrong but sorry just gets on my tits people whinging all the time and as said looks a a shithole probabley dint want to dirty his dust sheets!!!

He should of put sheets down he must of assumed you were throwing it when he said it would be ruined but looking at it it's ruined anyway? What are you going to suggest to him and have you payed him and how much?

He hasnt done anything wrong really the carpet is ruined which he did say would happen ...... , fair dos still keep it respectful and try sheet to keep thick up , but it still wouldnt really be recoverable unless like i said roll and strol etc

He said it would get ruined and that's what's happened.
dust sheets on stairs can be deadly. So he probably knew he wouldn't use them if you knew the carpet will be ruined.
Ideally he would have put carpet protector down. But you didn't ask him to protect the carpet after he said it would be ruined.

If the plastering is fine then there is nothing more to be said about it pay the man and be on your way.

Maybe he couldn't see what he was doing cause he was wearing a gas mask.

I don't understand the post - you must of been really really upset to go to the hassle of setting up an account in the palsterers forum to put up one post to give off about the plasterer dropping skim onto the carpet. Yet... have you seen the state of it prior to the plasterer coming in.

My advice to you is take them picture down quick, before they are seen on tv (benifit street) and/or stop paying plasterers and keep the money to buy new carpet. If the carpet is clean the plasterer will cover them and if he doesn't then you have a case.

Take the plasterer to court with them pictures, you will do real good.

All joking aside, he still should of covered them. :RpS_wink:

It would not have been fair to other customers that take pride in their home to lay the same sheets on that carpet.

I can't believe some of the responses on here, shame on you all !! you should always respect a clients house & furnishings no matter whether new or old, every good decent plasterer will leave the house in the same state it was in before the job was started there is NO excuse for bad untidy workmanship, like i said shame on you all !

Like a lot of others on here I have worked on some dumps and one of my clients is a letting agency that has a lot of low rent properties. I have nearly yacked many a time, that said though always put floor protection down and leave every job spotless (often cleaner than I found) can't imagine doing it any other way

I know you should always do the best job you can etc etc, but when you've got a customer who clearly doesn't give a **** about the place it's hard to keep morale up, & strive for perfection. I had one who moaned to the builder that we'd ruined her mop, & brush, I told him to tell them to bill me a mop head, & then a feck off, as we'd left it cleaner than we started! As a rule of thumb I don't take on the work if it's a dump, by the way, that picture shows that, that place needs a complete gut, not a skimmed ceiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.