Binders for lime plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dres

Hey everyone, i've been doing a lot of research in the subject of home made lime plaster. From what i've read it might be possible to sort of "manufacture" my own plaster for practicing finishes on gypsum board. The basic recipe i'm using is type S hydrated lime powder, marble dust, and water. The additives i'll be experimenting with so far are boiled linseed oil, and castile olive oil soap.

Lime plaster on its own does not adhere to gypsum board, so some type of bonding agent needs to be worked into the formula. One company claims to use an organic binder that allows their plaster to be applied over just about any surface that has been primed with an acrylic. Another company makes a plaster that can be applied over any normal acrylic primer, and they also sell a "quartz primer" which is made of a pure "acrylic resin specified for alkaline products" and quartz sand. One more thought I have is mineral binders, i'm aware of a company that sells lime plaster that is "breathable" and can be applied to drywall, they say that they use a mineral binder. The idea of a mineral binder that allows breath-ability is very intriguing. I left out the names of said companies to avoid breaking any forum rules.

I've heard in another forum that the organic binder casein can be used in lime plaster, but also that it's not very good. Does anyone know more about using casein, other organic binders, acrylic binders, or mineral binders? One last thought i have is using a primer/admixture system that was designed for portland stucco. I have a few doubts about it, but a general contractor i know claims that stuff will make anything stick ahah.

Ah yeah dg27, that stuff would be perfect! I found a silicate primer called kiem grunderweiss i think, found a distributor about an hours drive away so i'll be going with that. Thanks for the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.