Are we too CHEAP

Members online

I went to a view a boxroom yesterday the chap had boarded it out ready and also boarded out a walk in cupboard space in the room aswell he had the multifinish already so I said 420 he raised his eyebrows I was like here we go I said it's a days work easy possibly a day and a half I said the walk in is to small to plaster it all in one set as I will be rubbing against the walls etc, he was like oh ok I couldn't be asked I just got out of there quick told me he had a couple of more ppl to quote,dont know why this trade gets s**t on, customer I worked for yesterday had a plumber charge her 80 to take a rad off and put on back again 15mins work at best there

I went to a view a boxroom yesterday the chap had boarded it out ready and also boarded out a walk in cupboard space in the room aswell he had the multifinish already so I said 420 he raised his eyebrows I was like here we go I said it's a days work easy possibly a day and a half I said the walk in is to small to plaster it all in one set as I will be rubbing against the walls etc, he was like oh ok I couldn't be asked I just got out of there quick told me he had a couple of more ppl to quote,dont know why this trade gets s**t on, customer I worked for yesterday had a plumber charge her 80 to take a rad off and put on back again 15mins work at best there
I think they just sometime see the overall fig not the time spent or the running around getting gear,prep etc
Although tbf taking a rad off and putting it back on is 2 trips to the property for the plumber.. this is why I went on my plumbing course at college ...maybe this is a service you can offer and pocket the £80 yourself..

love Rodgers youtube vids ...learnt a lot from him. Reckon he's the type if you piss him off he'd tell you to f**k off and walk off the job...he looks liked he's spent a lifetime dealing with arseholes

This is worth a listen ..

Some good points, but also some contradictions.
Cracks on about always working on a price and making a profit, not just wages and then says about a decorator getting his plasterer mate in for his £180 days money. And I'll guarantee that he doesn't expect guys he's getting in on his jobs to act and price for him the way he's suggesting.

Some good points, but also some contradictions.
Cracks on about always working on a price and making a profit, not just wages and then says about a decorator getting his plasterer mate in for his £180 days money. And I'll guarantee that he doesn't expect guys he's getting in on his jobs to act and price for him the way he's suggesting.
But isn't that because he's running a business and the spread is choosing to sell his time as a sole trader for £180 per day...this is the conversation we had the other day about whether you own a business or your a sole trader. .in this context roger has a business and the plasterer dosent

its easier to cloud the price issue as well when multiple jobs are getting done.. when we do bathroom fitting we hide the 3 trades tiling plastering and plumbing into 1 price. We don't get questioned as much so we have the scope to raise our plastering prices.often dosent get questioned because its almost like there's multiple guys being priced for even tho its just me and a friend...you can even price in jobs that don't exist if your that way inclined.

Mother in law is spending 6k plus on a new bathroom as we speak... i didn't want to do it for a few reasons but the guys doing it said we will need to rip out,board ,plaster and tile then fit the bathroom etc ...she's happy but the joke is hes fitted boards and he's tiling straight over them !!! There isn't any plastering ...ive told her this and she thinks cos she can hear mixers and see boards going up there must have been plastering...its bizzare how people think

I think they just sometime see the overall fig not the time spent or the running around getting gear,prep etc
Although tbf taking a rad off and putting it back on is 2 trips to the property for the plumber.. this is why I went on my plumbing course at college ...maybe this is a service you can offer and pocket the £80 yourself..
Agree with you there, I've took rads off and sockets etc but nowadays I leave it down to the customer to sort as I would rather not be liable for such things if something went wrong

The bloke in that pricing video on the right has so many brow lines that proves his style is a stressy one to be avoided. Too much moan moan moan..
That video also shows that if two blokes can’t agree on this subject then a whole forum will never agree.
Also shows scouser’s are thick driving to London whilst bisby is working at their neighbours house.
Shows someone up North will pay more than the cheapest by paying for Bisby to drive up there.

@ChrispyUK takes rads off for free

But isn't that because he's running a business and the spread is choosing to sell his time as a sole trader for £180 per day...this is the conversation we had the other day about whether you own a business or your a sole trader. .in this context roger has a business and the plasterer dosent
I think if you're a sole trader and don't consider yourself a business you'll probably get nowhere.
You're still responsible if things go tits up, in fact more so than if you're ltd. No one else is putting into a pension plan or paying for health insurance etc., it's all on you.
I used to be ltd. and have up to nine guys working for me. Now it's just my son and me as a sole trading partnership. My mindset is just the same and apart from the turnover being less there's really no difference.

I think if you're a sole trader and don't consider yourself a business you'll probably get nowhere.
You're still responsible if things go tits up, in fact more so than if you're ltd. No one else is putting into a pension plan or paying for health insurance etc., it's all on you.
I used to be ltd. and have up to nine guys working for me. Now it's just my son and me as a sole trading partnership. My mindset is just the same and apart from the turnover being less there's really no difference.
It is hard tho as a sole trader trying to run a business and make a profit and a wage when most sole traders your quoting against don't think like this...and a lot of them are good at their respective trades.

It is hard tho as a sole trader trying to run a business and make a profit and a wage when most sole traders your quoting against don't think like this...and a lot of them are good at their respective trades.
I totally agree but, like they said in that video, it's all about presentation and communication with potential clients right from the off. It might surprise a few but I don't talk to everyone like I do you bunch of c**ts. No offense.

I totally agree but, like they said in that video, it's all about presentation and communication with potential clients right from the off. It might surprise a few but I don't talk to everyone like I do you bunch of c**ts. No offense.
Agreed,I could sell milk to a farmer and start up a ice and snow buisness in the arctic circle,why you ask? Is because I'm awesome and what I do,all these monkeys running around for £120-£180 a day wages with no profit pffft

The trades soo looked down on its a joke. i priced a job for a builder the other day he told me it was a bungalow, turned up and it was a massive 5bed house. I said funny bungalow he’s said it use to be one. Then he told me he was building it for himself, And the first thing he said to me was how much cheaper can u do it for cash on his own f**k**g house lol. Then I went round measuring up and he was following me round telling me he’s got this 1/4 mill job here a 200g job there and so on, messaged him a price the following Day (5grand) I seen that he read it and no reply the ignorant cunnnnt, my worst pet hate that is, I’d rather him get back to me and just say it’s too dear. Plus he said he plasters as well but that house was bit too big for him lol, f**k**g pussy

The trades soo looked down on its a joke. i priced a job for a builder the other day he told me it was a bungalow, turned up and it was a massive 5bed house. I said funny bungalow he’s said it use to be one. Then he told me he was building it for himself, And the first thing he said to me was how much cheaper can u do it for cash on his own f**k**g house lol. Then I went round measuring up and he was following me round telling me he’s got this 1/4 mill job here a 200g job there and so on, messaged him a price the following Day (5grand) I seen that he read it and no reply the ignorant cunnnnt, my worst pet hate that is, I’d rather him get back to me and just say it’s too dear. Plus he said he plasters as well but that house was bit too big for him lol, f**k**g pussy
I've gotten used to rude people over the years, it still drives my son wild.

Your totally right,I hate when there read it and dont get back to you.ignorant bastards I call them..the old carrot dangler

It's a joke isn't it mate builders that brag about having a big project here and a big project there are usually talking out there arse,5k to do a 5 bed house is more than reasonable aswell

I had one just before lockdown I sent off, she wanted whole house doing in stages but main bedroom and hallway were priority. I could tell it wasn't going to happen straight away, so I only sent off the quote for bedroom and hallway, she got back to me after lockdown to book it in, I thought wtf, misjudged this one. Couple of emails later it turned out she thought the price was for the whole house

The only way these wankers will respect it more if they had to work with a plasterer all day to see what it's really like

The only way these wankers will respect it more if they had to work with a plasterer all day to see what it's really like
They wouldn't even be able to unload all the gear out the van without a break

I had one just before lockdown I sent off, she wanted whole house doing in stages but main bedroom and hallway were priority. I could tell it wasn't going to happen straight away, so I only sent off the quote for bedroom and hallway, she got back to me after lockdown to book it in, I thought wtf, misjudged this one. Couple of emails later it turned out she thought the price was for the whole house
I'm the same when this happens,get numerous calls saying oh can you price me this and that and or and I want this doing.i just say wow steady on there just let me price 1 room and let's see if you can afford me