Anyone else noticing how busy work is

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Bond interested

Finn not interested

Sorry too busy, flat out for the next 2 weeks, all 14 days, available after provided nothing else comes in but I think that job in froyle wants me back dunno if I will, u should head out there @Dansouthcoast this week if your quite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are going well here in Bristol. I am not still not up to rates of pre 2008 but I am getting to there. Is tehre anyone else on here from Bristol? I have work spare sometimes and can paass it on but you need to be **** hot as I don't want my reputation to suffer ultimately the customer contracted me. There are some poor ones around here like evrywhere else. I do not mind people striving to learn like cranny but I cannot abide roughriders

I'm in Bristol, need a hand on jobs now and then.

Interest rates arnt going up quickly any time soon, and even then the boe has said it will be aimed at 2.5%.
they can tighten mortgage criteria up etc, but the simple fact is there arnt enough new houses being built for demand, there is a shortfall year upon year,with a massive increase in population, more divorces, people living longer etc, kids living at home longer,meaning extensions, people staying put instead of moving because of lack of new housing being built extending where they are.
houses prices are going to stay strong. Economy growing, jobless falling equals people spending on there houses.

make hay while the sun shines. people will be reluctant to spend when the rates rise, remortgages for extensions will be harder to come by. im an optimist but things will slow down a touch. hope not.

Things are going well here in Bristol. I am not still not up to rates of pre 2008 but I am getting to there. Is tehre anyone else on here from Bristol? I have work spare sometimes and can paass it on but you need to be **** hot as I don't want my reputation to suffer ultimately the customer contracted me. There are some poor ones around here like evrywhere else. I do not mind people striving to learn like cranny but I cannot abide roughriders
Striving to learn??

make hay while the sun shines. people will be reluctant to spend when the rates rise, remortgages for extensions will be harder to come by. im an optimist but things will slow down a touch. hope not.

Not sure they will, it's controlled and rational increase 1/4 % at a time. Interest rates have been at a historic low for many years now, so if the case was made for people to spend less if it Increases it would suggest they've been spending on there houses for the last few years and they haven't on the whole until it started picking recently.

they reckon the rates will incease to 2.5% by 2017, adding an extra £174 to a typical mortgage. just think people will be more cautious. like at christmas and january when its usually dead because people know theyve got to find extra that month. then there'll be the scare stories in the press about people being repossessed - that sadly will be true - which will make people tighten their belts. once they start rising, and the election is out the way, i reckon they'll keep rising. but you're right, half a per cent for six months, then another half a per cent after that for six months, won't slow things down too much. fingers crossed. mentioned in another thread that i got a hand held terminal that takes all kinds of cards. took two credit card payments on it this week alone. had customers asking if i accept credit cards before i even go out and quote. gives them that extra option

Bank of England interest rates will increase by 2.5 per cent by 2017 | Mail Online

I'm from bristol bud, where abouts are you based?

I'm in Bristol, need a hand on jobs now and then.

Haha it's funny I drive round town and see others in the game all the time and I only know a handful to speak to and already on here I have seen a few from Bristol already. Where do you get your stuff from mate I might have even stood next to you at counter

No worries. I know an old retired spread with over 40 years experience. His old line was anyone who says they know it all is full of s###.
Just because you served your time doesn't mean your any good.

Haha it's funny I drive round town and see others in the game all the time and I only know a handful to speak to and already on here I have seen a few from Bristol already. Where do you get your stuff from mate I might have even stood next to you at counter

Obviously dealers

I live in Windmill Hill mainly buy Internal plaster from Selco in Bedminster. Render I get from Avonmouth.

My van says ADCAR Property Services on it, going to get that changed soon!

Say hello if you see me again what's your trading name?

Nice one SPT. I'm in Oakdene Mate. I would probably make more money delaing drugs :RpS_lol: How do I like posts I cannot see a Like button

Ahh ACE! I've heard your company name mentioned before, think we have priced for a couple of the same jobs, seen your website. Do you do much rendering?

Nice one SPT. I'm in Oakdene Mate. I would probably make more money delaing drugs :RpS_lol: How do I like posts I cannot see a Like button

ahh ace plasterer, i've seen you on Google bud..

I'll say hello if ever see you about, seeing as on each others doorstep

Ahh ACE! I've heard your company name mentioned before, think we have priced for a couple of the same jobs, seen your website. Do you do much rendering?

Hi Adcar I have seen you about as well. Small world it is. Are you changing the van or your name? Yes I do a bit or rendering mate I don't think you should be calling yourself a plasterer if you don't do sand and cement. I have just finished a mono job down in hotwells last week.

Cranny I meant that you are still learning like we all aer. I didn't mean anything offenesive. I meant with that timeserved idiot slagging you off the other day

Firstly,
I didn't slag anyone off?
I made a valid point that this forum is full of course plasterers and that it has become a free online reference source.
YOU might still be learning but I'm f'ing not, 26 years in this game and there isn't much I haven't encountered on the job and that includes the thousands of amateurs who are "still learning" but competing against and under cutting professional time served tradesmen.
If I see someone who hasn't been in the trade long posting about how busy they are I get rather irritated, not because he's earning a living but because he's fast-tracked into my trade.
Us old school spreads view course plasterers with a certain amount of contempt, especially when they take offence at being "outed" for being coursers?
This forum is an extension of goldtrowel and should be called the original course plasterers forum.
It's the only forum I know that let's joe public / potential customers view so-called pro's asking about pva or what plaster to use on a job they've just got.
One thing I am not is an idiot.

I did do a course yes. After that I spent 7 years with the bloke that taught me 4 of which where an apprenticeship.
After over 9 years there isn't that much I havn't seen.
I've met plenty of time served spreads and a lot of them arn't that good. Your only as good as your last job. What are you doing on the goldtrowel forum?

Firstly,
I didn't slag anyone off?
I made a valid point that this forum is full of course plasterers and that it has become a free online reference source.
YOU might still be learning but I'm f'ing not, 26 years in this game and there isn't much I haven't encountered on the job and that includes the thousands of amateurs who are "still learning" but competing against and under cutting professional time served tradesmen.
If I see someone who hasn't been in the trade long posting about how busy they are I get rather irritated, not because he's earning a living but because he's fast-tracked into my trade.
Us old school spreads view course plasterers with a certain amount of contempt, especially when they take offence at being "outed" for being coursers?
This forum is an extension of goldtrowel and should be called the original course plasterers forum.
It's the only forum I know that let's joe public / potential customers view so-called pro's asking about pva or what plaster to use on a job they've just got.
One thing I am not is an idiot.

I don't want to make enemys. You just seem highly strung and should really apologise. The lad has explained that he has been working fro nine years etc. Guilty as charged I am still learning and have been in the game longer than you mate. If you dont want to share tips and information n why not set up your own form? Live life with a smile mate it is too short to be bitter. Do you have an apprentice? There were plenty of big firms when i left school but now it is not like that. Entry into the game has changed .

I agree some posts make me bewildered but I just laugh. If I can I will help but I haven't been on for long. I just don't see the point of being a member to just go on about how good you are and how the old days were the best days etc. No offence to you. You could even be a "courser" ! Where is your website? Who are you? etc. Do you see my point. Anyway I don't want to get caught up in this

Over the years I have always known plasterers to bang on about how good they are and what they earn I think it's the dust :p .

Saying that it's picked up a bit on site I know that but I don't think it will last unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

Hi Adcar I have seen you about as well. Small world it is. Are you changing the van or your name? Yes I do a bit or rendering mate I don't think you should be calling yourself a plasterer if you don't do sand and cement. I have just finished a mono job down in hotwells last week.

Cool. I'm changing the van and the name to just show plastering. I did more general building during the recession but no need to now just plastering day in day out which I prefer as its what I enjoy :)

Just got to find £15k to buy the van, have to price a couple of re skims high to pay for it ;)

Don't be negative grace. Ha. I just started looking forward to it coming bk an been shot down already. Ha

Don't be negative grace. Ha. I just started looking forward to it coming bk an been shot down already. Ha

Sorry mate it's just been so crap over years. Gets you all negative lol. I only do it part time now as a second job bit extra income & would not risk it full time just incase.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

I don't want to make enemys. You just seem highly strung and should really apologise. The lad has explained that he has been working fro nine years etc. Guilty as charged I am still learning and have been in the game longer than you mate. If you dont want to share tips and information n why not set up your own form? Live life with a smile mate it is too short to be bitter. Do you have an apprentice? There were plenty of big firms when i left school but now it is not like that. Entry into the game has changed .

Think your right mate,entry has changed. Near impossible to get any one to take you and show you the ropes and unfortunately we don't all start with 26 years experience. I can see why timeserved gets his back up but if no one is willing to take keen individuals on then what options are there out there? To say he is no longer learning can't be true,surely he must come across a problem that he has never come across before or a new tool that has been introduced? You overcome your problem with your professional approach as a skilled craftsman but ultimately you still learn from it. My uncle ( I think he must have a good 45 years experience)told me he learns every day as as a plasterer you come up against problems and as a plasterer you overcome them and that's what makes you a plasterer.

Status
Not open for further replies.