Any advise to stop a guy knocking himself out on his stairs?

Lostgeordie

Hi guys,

This place looks great place for plasters to discuss ideas/problems.

I am not a plasterer but do have a plastering issue which is causing me a headache.

We have a new loft extension which we are thrilled with. But it's came to box in the stairs and the builder have found plaster boarding it very difficult. This is the best they could do.

The problem is its created a real pinch point and means I can't really walk up and down the stairs holding the banister.

There seems to be an alternative on here - using a mesh to create a much tighter curve.
And if it come in behind the post we would maximise our headroom.

So my questions:
- What do I need to ask for?
- The builder says his plaster had no more ideas. Do I need to find a new one?
- Any good places for sourcing someone. I'd rather stop this getting plastered and be 100% we've done everything because it's such a shame for us.

Sorry if this is inappropriate place to ask.

We live in whitley bay, North tyneside, ne26 1tf.

IMG-20180907-WA0050.jpeg
DSC_0043.JPG
Screenshot_20180907-201256.png
DSC_0032.JPG

regulations are there needs to.be a certian minimum height.. but cant remember what the height is..
you can batten the batck of stairs in a fan like form. following the runner line against the walls
mesh the battens and rockwall beforhand aswell.
tight coat of bonding to form the curve then skim
2metre head height from the tread below. By the looks of it it’s the newel post which is the lowest point. Not a lot you can do. Roll the winder round with eml as dan says. Take it you couldn’t of had a dropped landing before the first winder. Must be to regs or it won’t get passed off.
Hi guys,

I am not a plasterer but do have a plastering issue which is causing me a headache.

We have a new loft extension which we are thrilled with. But it's came to box in the stairs and the builder have found plaster boarding it very difficult. This is the best they could do.

The problem is its created a real pinch point and means I can't really walk up and down the stairs holding the banister.

There seems to be an alternative on here - using a mesh to create a much tighter curve.

So my questions:
- Any good places for sourcing someone. I'd rather stop this getting plastered and be 100% we've done everything because it's such a shame for us.

View attachment 26084View attachment 26085View attachment 26086View attachment 26087

Way around it would of been the have the bottom winder dressed. Then it wouldn’t of needed plastering at all. Stairs would of been a few quid more.

Hi guys,

So my questions:

View attachment 26084View attachment 26085View attachment 26086View attachment 26087
You're wrong.. This is a great place for fights, name-calling and popcorn. Sometimes crisps. Good luck

Hi guys,

So my questions:

A curved winder can be achieved by a couple of techniques. baton, felt or builder paper then EML. (Chicken wire)
bonding coat to form the curve then plaster
IMG_20170817_132339.jpg

Personally I bed a bit of fibreglass mesh through sections that have heavy footfall, probably not necessary but belts and braces and all that. You could fix lats to eliminate curvature, then mesh/bond/skim
IMG_20170817_132330.jpg

The end result should be a nice sweeping curve with no sharp edges
IMG_20170818_151004.jpg

A curved winder can be achieved by a couple of techniques. baton, felt or builder paper then EML. (Chicken wire)
bonding coat to form the curve then plaster
View attachment 26111

Personally I bed a bit of fibreglass mesh through sections that have heavy footfall, probably not necessary but belts and braces and all that. You could fix lats to eliminate curvature, then mesh/bond/skim
View attachment 26112

The end result should be a nice sweeping curve with no sharp edges
View attachment 26114

You my friend are class!