Alternative to timber for outside building

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the growing cost of timber my plans to build my garden office are on hold as I work out if it is worth waiting.

However I was thinking about other building materials and if any one else has used something else instead of timber?

The building will be about 50m2

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great

I’m getting a few box body’s soon, refrigerator units from delivery vans. They make good garden buildings

Have seen a shed built from No Fines concrete.
I would guess the chap must have been working in Colchester garrison where both Mowlem and Wimpey built married quarters using no fines. the shuttering would have been dumped at the end of the contract.

Strawbale mate
Can be sourced locally, fire proof , best insulation performance and cheap too , eco friendly, can be rendered as well
I’ve worked on a build like that. footings we’re massive tractor tyres then the plastered clay on top of the bales lol

With the growing cost of timber my plans to build my garden office are on hold as I work out if it is worth waiting.

However I was thinking about other building materials and if any one else has used something else instead of timber?

The building will be about 50m2

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great
Maybe that polystyrene shite they fill with concrete could be cheap and easy

Don’t know how much it’ll cost but what about industrial metal frame work with cedral cement cladding. That comes in various colours looks like timber and doesn’t ever need painting.

Strawbale mate
Can be sourced locally, fire proof , best insulation performance and cheap too , eco friendly, can be rendered as well
I am actually seriously considering this. Do you have any links I can get YouTube trained etc...

Seems like a good thing :)

Don’t know how much it’ll cost but what about industrial metal frame work with cedral cement cladding. That comes in various colours looks like timber and doesn’t ever need painting.
I have been looking at this as well but once again timber works out better cost even in today's market

I am still clearing the garden so still have a bot of time to prepare
20210901_214823.jpg

Had quite a few late night fire pits recemtly

Hempcrete is a great material for garden rooms. You need much reduced amount of timber for load bearing the roof and will need some sheet material for the temporary shuttering which is moved around as you construct (can be old damaged boards)
Completely fireproof and at the right thickness meets bc thermal conductivity requirements. Manages internal condensation and sound prodding .
Sucks in carbon dioxide as it sets and you can plaster the outside with lime for a very classy looking joint.
Just need some decent overhangs and it will last for a 100 years

there is a book and lots of videos

Well thank you for all the replies. I am now looking at straw building methods.

Anybody has any links to useful sites for it and how to use it and build with it would be great.

Seems like a great material

Anybody has any links to useful sites for it and how to use it and build with it would be great.

1630776401735.png

Watch out for the wolf.

Be mindful of wolves that might huff and puff and blow your garden building down

You can get polystyrene lego blocks for building, then you render and clad them. Recently saw a decent shed made with wood effect plastic planks - looked ok and seemed to be just as good as wood.
do you have any links to how you mean

Status
Not open for further replies.