Advice needed

Bonding it is then. Even @Andy g couldn't skim that.

But why does he think he can get bonding flatter than s&c?
Thanks for that. I've absolutely no idea but if you agree with bonding and then skim then I'm happy with that. Which bonding should I buy and in terms of time are the any issues with doing the two layers too quickly or too slowly? Thanks for all your advice

Just put a couple of handfuls of bonding in the multi flatten it put the multi on top ....putting the bonding in the multi gives you a little more to straighten it out ...you don’t need to wait till the bonding is dry either before putting the multi on top

Thanks for that. I've absolutely no idea but if you agree with bonding and then skim then I'm happy with that. Which bonding should I buy and in terms of time are the any issues with doing the two layers too quickly or too slowly? Thanks for all your advice

Don't be listening to me. I'm a painter. ;)

It's my guess that the builder doesn't do any s&c work, but has bonded over rough substrate before with some success. He knows that s&c ain't good enough to skim so he's hoping to bond it good.

Shouldn't be necessary but it is now.

Let's hope he's better at bonding than floating.

Gypsum ....if you are going to mix the bonding with multi don’t get bonding 60 as you cannot mix them together

Hi ,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I am in the middle of a renovation and my builder has started to sand/cement the internal party wall. Once this has dried what should be applied next to get the best finish? He mentioned bonding and then skim? Is this correct or is it best to just skim?

Thanks in advance

Skim

Hi ,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I am in the middle of a renovation and my builder has started to sand/cement the internal party wall. Once this has dried what should be applied next to get the best finish? He mentioned bonding and then skim? Is this correct or is it best to just skim?

Thanks in advance
Why add extra processes? The base is sand and cement it should be flat so just skim it

If I was you, I would let the builder get on with other stuff, get a proper plasterer in the finish off. Have you had a price on the plastering that has put you off? Don’t risk the builder skimming what he’s already done - I can tell he’s not ever put a straight edge over the render.
BTW - out of town on a business trip, got the secretary with you?

If I was you, I would let the builder get on with other stuff, get a proper plasterer in the finish off. Have you had a price on the plastering that has put you off? Don’t risk the builder skimming what he’s already done - I can tell he’s not ever put a straight edge over the render.
BTW - out of town on a business trip, got the secretary with you?
N
Thanks. Not a business trip with a secretary.. Just a fixed place of work which happens to be in another town. And no secretary! I saw some of his other work before I contracted him and the finish was decent enough. Obviously I'm no professional so wouldn't see all the flaws.

N
Thanks. Not a business trip with a secretary.. Just a fixed place of work which happens to be in another town. And no secretary! I saw some of his other work before I contracted him and the finish was decent enough. Obviously I'm no professional so wouldn't see all the flaws.

I'd let him worry about it if I were you. End of the day, even if you've been stung, you're not paying til you're happy so you do your work and let him do his.

I wouldn't appreciate what you're doing now.

You just worry about passing it off when he says he's finished and paying the man.

I'd let him worry about it if I were you. End of the day, even if you've been stung, you're not paying til you're happy so you do your work and let him do his.

I wouldn't appreciate what you're doing now.

You just worry about passing it off when he says he's finished and paying the man.
Thankyou. I'll provide with him with the bonding and multi finish and anything else he asks for and leave him to it.

I personally would tell him to jog on but in more extreme language, that sand and cement is a joke, he hasn’t given it a mechanical key of any form, if that is as pissed as it looks then he will need to scutch that first before floating it out but make sure the sand and cement is stable it looks like it is blowing to me. I think you are going to be in a lot of s**t if you let him carry on

I personally would tell him to jog on but in more extreme language, that sand and cement is a joke, he hasn’t given it a mechanical key of any form, if that is as pissed as it looks then he will need to scutch that first before floating it out but make sure the sand and cement is stable it looks like it is blowing to me. I think you are going to be in a lot of s**t if you let him carry on
It'll settle.

Hi there,
A bit more advice needed. Will there be any issues if my builder attaches plasterboard onto these walls using adhesive? He's of the opinion that I will get a flatter and better finish if he uses plasterboard and skims over this. I know many of you professionals may not be advocates of this method as your plastering would become of a high quality. But in this case would doing this cause any problems? Many thanks for your advice

I DON'T LIKE IT!
it is a acceptable method and quicker and probably flatter, if he is not confident with sand and cement.
What did the other wall come out like?
Can't beat a solid wall tbh

The other wall was pretty much the same. The house has a mix of solid brick, concrete block and stud walls and I think it will make three Job easier if he 'dots and dabs' plasterboard. I want to try and get the best possible finish and feel that with this method the builder might achieve better results. The sand and cement walls are dry to the touch but do they have to be left alone for a longer period? Or is it ok for him to adhere plasterboard to them now? Thanks

The other wall was pretty much the same. The house has a mix of solid brick, concrete block and stud walls and I think it will make three Job easier if he 'dots and dabs' plasterboard. I want to try and get the best possible finish and feel that with this method the builder might achieve better results. The sand and cement walls are dry to the touch but do they have to be left alone for a longer period? Or is it ok for him to adhere plasterboard to them now? Thanks

The very fact your on here asking us is telling you everything you already know!

I've seen lots of bonding and dot and dab draw damp depends on you're House I try to use it as little as possible

Thanks for your replies. The walls will need bonding or plasterboard before skimming so I will have this potential damp problem either way. The sand/cement finish is simply not good enough to skim over. If I'm going to have to go with bonding or plasterboard anyway does it not make sense to allow him to dot and dab as this will give him the best chance of getting a decent finish?

Thanks for your replies. The walls will need bonding or plasterboard before skimming so I will have this potential damp problem either way. The sand/cement finish is simply not good enough to skim over. If I'm going to have to go with bonding or plasterboard anyway does it not make sense to allow him to dot and dab as this will give him the best chance of getting a decent finish?

If the primary reason for him using sand & cement was damp walls.

Bonding and dot & dab will draw moisture.

Then no get someone in who can achieve flat walls with sand & cement ie a time served plasterer.

I can change a spare tyre but it doesn't make me a mechanic!

Thanks for that. There was no damp. The party wall had been stripped back to brick and he used sand and cement to give the wall some strength. The other walls are part of the new extension and are blockwork.

Are you serious you can't use dot and dab or bonding anywhere near damp even if it is rendered batton board and depending on situations thermalite boards