Advice for DIYer using Krend

Harrycal

I've built a small garden wall using 7Kn blocks and want to render it and am thinking of using Krend (ye don't laugh) or Weber. I like the idea of using a coloured render (rather than sand and cement) since I don't want mess about painting it every couple of years. Im thinking of using white and scraping it.

Would appreciate any advice on the following questions:-

1. The blocks are dense but is it good practise to use some sealer or primer on the blocks first before applying the base coat?
    My thinking was that the less pull on render would give me a bit more time to play with it given that Im not a professional.
    Or will this hinder the adhesion of the base coat to the blocks?

2. I've read on a couple of threads that Krend FT is to generally be avoided since its hard to spread. So I was think of using wither K1 or one of the TC ones. Is the following thinking generally correct?
    1. Just avoid TC altogether?
    2. Use K1 if you want to scrape it after?
    3. Use a TC one if you want it smooth?

3. I assume that using Krend TC, since it's meant to provide a non-scraped finish, would take more skill to get right since scraping after allows you to get away with some imperfections of how you spread the top coat?

4. Im intending to lay a plastic drainage channel next to the finished wall.
    1. Is using a bead at the bottom always preferred method.
    2. Or can I just render down to the ground level and butt my channel up against the render?

5. I know that getting a good result has a lot to do with experience, knowledge of substrate, getting your thickness and timing right (dependant on weather) etc etc.
    It seems that (from reading many of other threads on here) that Krend is a bit more demanding than other products such as Weber or Granicem to get right, so, being a beginner:-
    1. Do you pros think that I would have a better outcome if used one of the other products, maybe Weber or Granicem?
    2. If yes, can you recommend any please? Mrs wants it white and I intend to scrape it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    969.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
If I was you I’d apply r7 acrylic primer, the. Hpx base about 4-5mm then fill the rest of the bead out with K1. You’ll have no issue with that

A primer will do nothing on that, waste of time.id look at some kind of tanking system on that prior either on the inner leaf or outer before any rendering. Skip it get someone in that knows what there doing, you won’t get it right first time, and it will annoy you every time you walk past it.

Last edited:
Its only double wall because I wanted to the width - so wont have plants/soil in - the void will remain. It will be capped off with slabs.

A primer will do nothing on that, waste of time.id look at some kind of tanking system on that prior either on the inner leaf or outer before any rendering. Skip it get someone in that knows what there doing, you won’t get it right first time, and it will annoy you every time you walk past it.
I didn’t even notice they were planters haha