70 sq m Lime render job between Kendal and Penrith and much more

Members online

yeahwhatever

I'm looking for somebody who can do a lime render on a large house facade between Kendal and Penrith. It's about 70 sq m I think but could be wrong. Looking for someone who has worked on historical buildings, has a good rep on the forum, can take the old cement facade off and put a lime render up in its place. The cement render is around 100 years old believe it or not. There are photos from the 20s with it up. There are other jobs that might need doing at the same time like repointing the other walls of the house plus maybe internal lime work.

Basically house has damp proofing that is making the damp worse.

I'm looking for somebody who can do a lime render on a large house facade between Kendal and Penrith. It's about 70 sq m I think but could be wrong. Looking for someone who has worked on historical buildings, has a good rep on the forum, can take the old cement facade off and put a lime render up in its place. The cement render is around 100 years old believe it or not. There are photos from the 20s with it up. There are other jobs that might need doing at the same time like repointing the other walls of the house plus maybe internal lime work.

If you want me to do 70m2 that no problem but I don't don't do half days you see? Let alone quarter. What will I do after brew?

There's plenty to choose from.
  1. One room needs plaster taken off on 3 walls and then redoing with a breathable material (think it was a botched DIY),
  2. 2 large ones upstairs need chimney walls opened up/plaster off (5wx2.5h) maybe replacement with a breathable internal,
  3. another needs an area of pure lime fixed because of water coming in at the back of the house,
  4. that water ingress needs fixing too but it's accessible without scaffolding, has some kind of patch on it now under masonry paint
  5. rear exterior needs masonry paint off and repointing in some hard to reach spots,
  6. same in easier to reach spots
  7. and third exterior wall needs repointing (10m wide, 4.5m or so at gable).

Are you thinking you would kango the render off the front of the house? It's 300 years old in places and solid stone, so do you have a stone mason you use?

Thanks for the tips on @pftmonojetman. Read old threads and he is super legit!

Architect coming in next week who is really into straw bale stuff. Have at least one more coming early June (need planning permission for some stuff). Kinda wondering where this will go now... curiosity question, saw on an old thread from 2017 some of you senior guys were interested in learning straw bale stuff—is that still true? Is this a weird new frontier?

Sure. Here's the one with a car and a date on it from a village historical paper the neighbour had. The sign above the porch is still there today and so are the quoins, along with the colour change/that line from the bottom of the middle and right windows. Porch rotted off ages ago is my guess.

Here's another where the texture is clearer.

They're. Theyare they're

THEY'RE.

IT'S THEY'RE, YOU ILLITERATE YORKSHIRE KNOB HEAD. WHAT THE f**k DO THEY TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL OVER THE SMELLY SIDE OF THE HILL?

THEY'RE.

Didn't go to school & learnt to read & write properly as an adult!

And I still didn't end up a F*****g care taker!

View attachment 35184

Sure. Here's the one with a car and a date on it from a village historical paper the neighbour had. The sign above the porch is still there today and so are the quoins, along with the colour change/that line from the bottom of the middle and right windows. Porch rotted off ages ago is my guess.

Here's another where the texture is clearer.
View attachment 35186
Brilliant to have pictures from then , my place was built 1954 spent a year trying to find pictures of it when first built , never did get a full shot of the house in the end but did find pictures of all the other houses around it , good luck with your project, original is always best imo

Brilliant to have pictures from then , my place was built 1954 spent a year trying to find pictures of it when first built , never did get a full shot of the house in the end but did find pictures of all the other houses around it , good luck with your project, original is always best imo

Thanks! Here's another one, just for the curious. I agree with you. Apart from anything else, whenever they put this up it wasn't original and it's been causing trouble ever since. Previous owners just kept trying to dampproof. At this point it's surrounded by a concrete plinth, has holes drilled in the bottom of the wall, has upvc windows and doors and masonry paint. Would've been alright if no one had upgraded it to cement way back when. And the plinth has covered the entrance to the cellar so probably some bodies down there.

Anyway, the texture here looks different and there are interesting lines, as if it was pre-fab and then stuck to the wall on site. But what do I know.

Last edited:

We could have a look at this for you, we’re working in Coniston at the moment, I’ll pm you

Thanks for the tips on @pftmonojetman. Read old threads and he is super legit!

Architect coming in next week who is really into straw bale stuff. Have at least one more coming early June (need planning permission for some stuff). Kinda wondering where this will go now... curiosity question, saw on an old thread from 2017 some of you senior guys were interested in learning straw bale stuff—is that still true? Is this a weird new frontier?

I’ve done straw bale at Cuerden Valley bear Chorley, if your ever that way take a look