1st finishing coat dried out before applying second.. help!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzy

WIN_20141016_230718.jpg

Hi All!

New to the forum- just re-boarded and reskimmed the kitchen ceiling with finishing plaster due to the old one being hideously boarded and papered, before a textured finish to cover the awful work.

Now I've ballsed it up a bit. Scrim taped and filled, left to dry completely then applied 1-2mm finishing plaster- not a perfect finish after troweling so decided on a second coat, just to fill the gaps, but it was getting late. So the next day, when fully dried out I've just started applying a second coat, thinking a spray of water on the first coat will be enough to control suction. WRONG!

The second coat (mixed very wet) is going on and drying so fast it's unworkable, and becoming bubbly and impossible to trowel flat. I'm guessing I have completely wasted my time and I need to PVA over first coat and apply 2 new coats but I would love it if I'm wrong and someone has a fix for this? Second coat doesn't have to be finishing plaster if filler or something would work.

Any ideas? Thanks! :RpS_cursing:

Okay,

I'll admit defeat and start again :RpS_thumbsup: Not losing man points by getting someone else to do it though, it's only 2x2m!

Thanks for the confirmation

lol :)

As above 2 good coats of PVA then 2 coats of skim :) one after the other... stick the second coat on once the first coat is going like plasticine :) But as a newbie no doubt your a bit slow getting it on so probably straight away with the second coat :) :)

:RpS_lol:Ffs " decided on a second coat"....?lol:RpS_lol:

be fine when its sanded down with a rub of the sandiflex trowel and painted:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Marshalltown, stainless. Quite big and very worn in as I used it for rendering. Does the trowel make a difference?

It'll be fine, just got in from work, gonna pva it then lay on a fresh !2! coats tonight, shall post the results for a good second round of flaming :) my misses doesn't agree but I reckon every cock up has to be a step forward in the learning process.

It'll be fine, just got in from work, gonna pva it then lay on a fresh !2! coats tonight, shall post the results for a good second round of flaming :) my misses doesn't agree but I reckon every cock up has to be a step forward in the learning process.

Just give it a good coat of pva, get it on, flatten it straight away then once you've layed in you'll have plenty of time with it.

Yeh Madmonk, but i never said I was any good at rendering either- I'm a have a go hero! wall.jpg I reckon plastering is way harder because you have to get a mirror finish, where with render I always finish with a big sponge.

Thanks to everyone who confirmed that I had to start again and not go at it with easifill, here's the result prior to a final polish, can't wait to get the coving up to hide the edges! WIN_20141017_214606.jpg The Pva worked like magic and now the whole ceiling is a uniform colour as it dries and is still workable, totally different to attempt #1 .

nice one :D Welll done get a coat of paint on and spin up some easi fill and it will look fine :) Or call it rustic if any one questions it

Easifill is my best friend. I've got strong spots hidden up there waiting to come out so no one will be able to look up anyway :RpS_thumbsup: I'm not going to bother diying a ceiling again. Thanks again for the help

Easifill is my best friend. I've got strong spots hidden up there waiting to come out so no one will be able to look up anyway :RpS_thumbsup: I'm not going to bother diying a ceiling again. Thanks again for the help

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Okay,

I'll admit defeat and start again :RpS_thumbsup: Not losing man points by getting someone else to do it though, it's only 2x2m!

Thanks for the confirmation
thats obviously 4m2 to much good luck with the easi fill

Hilarious :RpS_lol:

Paint on a coat of 'Artex Sealer' - leave for half an hour then apply a thin coat of Multi - But don't go leaving it - OOPS!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.