Young lads plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew him, saw him carry a wheel barrow full of S&C up the stairs in his extended Hod, The spread he worked with John McLintock was fast as f*** floated and set a huge 5 bed house in two days all internal walls S&C

My Dad knew these guys too and is a quality spread. Was having a bit of a random hunt on the internet to find out about Super Hod!

Just saw this post on Google.
I worked alongside Maxi on Andy Morans jobs Lower Earley, Crown wood, Sandhurst etc.
He fascinated me at first until I started copying his work ethic.
I quickly became as fast and at one point faster. We'd get 8 ton loads of sand and use it all by the end of the day.
Often plastering two houses ready for setting the next day. Life was so much easier then remember ....
No Health & Safety to slow us down, just Clerks of the Works :-(
He was as much hands-on with the plastering as his mate John, and I have to say it sickens me a bit that there are so many people on this Forum ready to slag him off without knowing the man.
He was an inspiration to many, extremely kind and generous with his time 'and' his money.
He was also a great #charity fundraiser, but of course that all goes un-recognised.
Hope he's well .... not seen him for a good few years now :-(

Did my Brother Geoff work with you ?
Not too sure - I was replying to Dominic Regans reply to you as I worked alongside them and Maxi'n'John.

But if he worked for Andy in the 70's and 80's then I'm sure I would've done :)

I was really sorry to hear of Andy's passing recently - Very sad.

Not too sure - I was replying to Dominic Regans reply to you as I worked alongside them and Maxi'n'John.

you obviously aint the Pete i was thinking of then

I Do think my Dad may have known you if you worked at Caversham park all them years ago. his name was Con

Andy had quite a few of his relatives working for him back then, and imported many more of his friends from Ireland to keep up with all the work - Our paths very likely crossed but I'm useless at names, more a faces chap .
Though we're all pretty unrecognizable to each other now :)

Dad passed away last year, Noel is still about somewhere near Ehser

OH, I'm really sorry to hear that, several of my old work-mates have passed recently, and now with Andy going last week, it makes you feel really mortal all of a sudden. Your Dad and Andy had a pretty good innings though, and that's a blessing at least.
Time goes by so fast the older you get, so I count my blessings today, we never know what's round the corner.

Hiya Fred, Im Doms son John. Are you talking about his Dad Pat and his brother Pat?

I've worked with some fast lads over the years. All done with a bath and rake, stick and podger. Your labourer was worth his weight in gold.He'd go ahead and plank out the whole house ahead of you. Superhod did exist but he was a main contractor. That's how he made his millions. He got his hands dirty labouring on his workforce. As for machines they have been trying to get them popular for years.I first used a G4 at mcvities in Manchester 30 years ago and then in Germany in the 80's.Great idea but this country just isn't geared up for it.

Super hod is max quarter main was never a main contractor he worked for same contractor as me he was just a subbie that worked hard. Plus he sold a bulshit story to the media lol

Like I said above andy, it's a little too much to risk without being 100% confident on the other aspects of the work, also the debt of the materials on tick and paying out lads weekly then waiting the 30, 60 or 90 days.

Also the paper work and certs you sometimes need like chas, method statements & risk assessment plus contracts ect ect, little bit too much and the risk was too high.

Other companies are well established and in a position to take losses on jobs just to keep in with the client which I would never be able too.

Tbh I'm not the type of guy to come on here and bullshit, being honest here

I usually stuck to small builders/site/estate agents and subbed to small plastering contractors. The impression I got was the bigger you got the higher the risk and you were borrowing to pay the last job while paying out waiting for the next payment, I might be way off, but that's what I thought.

Me and my brother have just taken on large s/c house direct.....got a lad to do the boarding for us.
This house seems to of taken too more builders using us.
50 grand a year each of house bashing.
Time to try something different !!

Status
Not open for further replies.