Yay or nay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

So I've been at college now 2/3 months (since sept) doin my plastering course and loving it. Naturally I've been scouring the Internet and checking out all the tools available, more so the trowels.
I came across a guy on gumtree selling a 2nd hand marshalltown trowel for around £20 with a few other bits and it was In quite good nick!
my question is this... is it worth me buying 2nd hand OR just spend the money on a nice new one?

So I would just buy it and see how it feels, if its no good for skimming just use for render or floating

New gold one is only £40, doesn't seem a lot to spend on the main tool of your trade? If money is tight that is different of course.

Yeah it looks mint ?? :rolleyes)
attachment.php

New one them worn in ones will be worn in to his hands might feel a bit uncomfortable to get use too your new one will bed in to your trowel action

@bob yes dad! And marshy that is just what I'm after! Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
On a serious note @Adz if you can afford it as good trowels are not cheap!? Get yourself a Marshal town Extra lite they take a while to "break in" but by far the best trowels on the planet and have been for years!! There is some stuff from Ze Germans but let's face it they are useless with stainless steel or the women wouldn't have such hairy armpits,legs and well you know :rolleyes)

It's worth keeping your eye out on Gumtree and eBay for the full set of tools second hand. You frequently see the full kit for sale when someone who worked in a call centre does a plastering 'course' for five days and sets themselves up in business. When they give up on it a month later having only done two walls they sell the gear to pay for their five day course to retrain as an electrician. Then that gear gets sold for the plumbing course, and so on.

People moan about short courses in the building trade, but every cloud has cheap tools for sale.

I got my Fluke that way. :RpS_thumbsup:

BTW, make sure you get one of the special trowels that only the most skilled tradesmen use. Apparently they make bread and butter. :RpS_lol:

Buy a refina super flex or a nella super flex. I had my marshal town for about 12years. she was baby. Other spreads begged me to borrow it to them. Now It don't come out my van. 2years ago I got a refina - and I've never looked back. Need a new one now but a friend of mine just got a nella trowel. I used it today and it's very good... Using a stainless steal marsheltown trowel is like using a brick to skim with now. Especially a brand new crap pre worn rubbish for £40-50. Refina for £36!!! Easy peasy

Buy a refina super flex or a nella super flex. I had my marshal town for about 12years. she was baby. Other spreads begged me to borrow it to them. Now It don't come out my van. 2years ago I got a refina - and I've never looked back. Need a new one now but a friend of mine just got a nella trowel. I used it today and it's very good... Using a stainless steal marsheltown trowel is like using a brick to skim with now. Especially a brand new crap pre worn rubbish for £40-50. Refina for £36!!! Easy peasy

I had to use my mt today to trowel up with while my nela gets replaced, hated it, was a rite ball ache, used to love me mt aswell!!!

I do like the look of the nela, not sure bout the cork handle tho :/

The nela s*p*r*lex is a good trowel mate, i prefer the cork handle. Should get my new nela wed, cant wait, makes trowelin up a piece of p1ss, havnt tried the refina suprflex but imagine its just as good.

For skimming @Wesley I agree that the s*p*r*lex is the nuts. But for render floating work etc you need a trowel that does it all!? (A beginner is hardly likely to buy 2-4 different trowels for different jobs!?) The Xtra Lite Marshall Town (not the gold crap or preworn shite) are the best in the business once broken in. I don't care what anybody says the German stuff is not as good and don't get me started on that Nela lark!!

Feck the trowel. Your main tools are a cup, kettle and spoon. I always have the brew bag with me and ready to go at any time

I do like the look of the nela, not sure bout the cork handle tho :/
Well if you want a "brick" !!?? Get a Nela they are awful! The premium is like trying to spread using a steel door (more feel using a door I'm guessing) each to their own but Nela are defo not for me!!! Refina are much better

Well if you want a "brick" !!?? Get a Nela they are awful! The premium is like trying to spread using a steel door (more feel using a door I'm guessing) each to their own but Nela are defo not for me!!! Refina are much better

was zum Teufel Sie an dieser, Sie Putz mit einem alten Sperrholzplatte sowieso

My first trowel was an xtra lite served me well still use it for rendering. Makes sense to get one for everything to start with everyone loves new tools so no matter what you will end up with a selection!
I'd go good second hand if possible over new as long as it's good nick if you can save even a tenner it's worth it.

Buy the lot, marshalltown, nela refina and kraft. All great for various different jobs.
I must own at least 15 trowels and they all see plenty of use. Different size hawks plus all the smaller tools.
You can never have too many tools.

if you're at college I would buy new :) Just because your first trowel is the most important one in your career :) it is the one you remember...

Also... I would stay away from s*p*r*lex of any sort including spats until you have mastered the trowel... it may seem mad but I think learning trowel craft is important ;-)

Buy the lot, marshalltown, nela refina and kraft. All great for various different jobs.
I must own at least 15 trowels and they all see plenty of use. Different size hawks plus all the smaller tools.
You can never have too many tools.
Why would you have 15 trowels,that's some sort of an addiction!

Status
Not open for further replies.