Would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olican

Private Member
Got a call to price up to hack off and re-render a 2 storey extension that was completed 3 years ago. The client wants it all taken off because all the beads have failed, no problem straight forward. Thing is the client wants me to put something in writing stating that the beads have failed due to bad practice so she can make a claim against the builder that did the initial work. Dont fancy the thought of getting involved, anyone had any similar experience?

Its come up a few times Stuart, the only reason why I dont stick with addy is because Ive seen them fail 3 or 4 times, maybe its because we are on the coast but I wouldnt like to chance it. We had a lovely job about 5 years ago where all beads had failed, no-one wanted to take job on so we hacked out and put bands over every angle. lovely little number

dont do it oli

funny thing is that the client has contacted me twice ( I have new business name) my work partner and 2 other spreads I know. getting desperate I think. Dont think she would have much of a leg to stand on. giving it a wide berth mate :RpS_thumbsup:

Tell her that if she wants to make a case against them she'll need to get someone with letters after their name to do a report (architect or similar). That'll keep you out of it without losing the work or your teeth :RpS_lol:

Your word like all spreads words can just be an opinion, unless you have been trained as a chartered (anything) then everything you say is only an opinion. You need degrees to have any attention given legally to what you say.. You can't go back three years and see what went wrong, what advice was given or sought..it could be down to the builder, plasterer ,owner ..
hadnt seen bubbles post but same as

She needs to go to someone who does expert-witness work i can give you a name if she wants a report he is a professor in renders /mortar screeds concrete , he charges £85 an hour.........cost me a fortune but he is good.....

As others have said it would be better for a surveyor to give opinion on the beading and not get yourself involved.
I've put beads on with addy in the past but not in a while and won't be again either. But I went to see a job yesterday to render a garage. Did the house 10 yrs back and remember I used addy there but all was good with the beads there.
But you learn something all the time on this forum

funny thing is that the client has contacted me twice ( I have new business name) my work partner and 2 other spreads I know. getting desperate I think. Dont think she would have much of a leg to stand on. giving it a wide berth mate :RpS_thumbsup:

You werent Dave The Dog previously were you.............................:RpS_scared:

She needs to go to someone who does expert-witness work i can give you a name if she wants a report he is a professor in renders /mortar screeds concrete , he charges £85 an hour.........cost me a fortune but he is good.....

If you wouldnt mind passing those details onto me bud, appreciated. I was trying to explain to my old apprentice the other day that you should always make the effort with people (gave him a rollocking because a client I passed on to him couldnt reach him) Even when I am busy I still view jobs and advise people when I can, If you ring a restaurant and cant get a seat because its too busy it wont put you off going there again. I have no intention of giving this lady anything in writing but by going through the motions it comes across as professional and she just might be the one that recommends you for that dream job.

What do you mean by board adhesive? Like plasterboard adhesive?

i have started using ewi board adhesive as it is creamy and certainly sticks.

As as to getting involved then avoid if you can. In court I would think it could only be taken as an opinion unless as someone has mentioned a report by someone with little letters after their name.

i got out of some of the trouble Weber got me into with a structural surveyors report. Shut that bitch of a client up on that one and sent trading standards packing! Get her to get trading standards involved but if she doesn't,t have the paperwork then what job?

Oli ,your a nice guy ,don,t waste your time ,with people like this mate ,it is not your problem so why make it so ,on ward and up ward ,to good customers ,imo ,with respect as always

Olli I agree with Keith your a great lad! Tell them to **** off! And do her in thi ass to teach her a lesson asking you to be a snitch!!! I could post a pic but I'd get banned!!??

Cheers chaps, the feeling is mutual; you are both lovely, groovy, handsome guys and your comments have made me feel all fuzzy inside.
With regards to the job, I am too busy for this one and if I wasn't I don't think I'd take it on
:RpS_thumbsup:

Hearing that the customer wants to bum the previous builder would make me want to steer clear, even better that you aren't desperate.

Sometimes you just get a gut feeling about customers and to be honest i get the feeling she wants more out of this than just her rendering put right by what she has said to you before you have even gone to visit , you have to feel sorry for people sometimes cause they have shelled out for something that has failed , and i would be willing to give her a price to put it right , but i wouldnt be putting anything in writing about bad practice . Any decent person wouldnt put you in that position any way really .

Last edited:
Hearing that the customer wants to bum the previous builder would make me want to steer clear, even better that you aren't desperate.

We renovated a hotel in Torquay years ago and the owner wanted me to write a letter stating that we had to redo work completed in the owners extension a couple of years previously. When I politely refused he got really shirty, some people :rolleyes)

Sometimes you just get a gut feeling about customers and to be honest i get the feeling she wants more out of this than just her rendering put right by what she has said to you before you have even gone to visit , you have to feel sorry for people sometimes cause they have shelled out for something that has failed , and i would be willing to give her a price to put it right , but i wouldnt be putting anything in writing about bad practice . Any decent person wouldnt put you that position any way really .

Well said, couldn't agree more

Status
Not open for further replies.